General Question After effects of Entropion/Dry Eye and what you use to keep the eye(s) moisturized

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
So the Diva had Cherry Eye when she was a baby which I had taken care of. A few years after that she had Entropion which the vet also fixed but he said that she would most likely suffer from Dry Eye. Well she does.

I recently weaned her off one dog food and got her on another and the eye was doing really well...it wouldn't gum up and get all red, however, now that we have made the total switch, her eye has gone back to being mucous-y. I get a compounded eye drop (Cyclosporin in a Corn Oil) and it helps...does anyone know of anything else that would also work? it seems that she cannot be without it. I don't think she sees well, if at all with that eye, to be honest. :(
It's her Left eye.

Also, if I suspect that she is allergic to Corn, should I get the Vet to mix the cyclosporin with another oil?

Lissy march 2013.jpg

Attachments

• Big Lissy pic Mar2013.jpg
    Big Lissy pic Mar2013.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 110

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
There is a bit more to dry eye than that. The vet will do a test to see at what level the tear ducts are working for each eye and prescribe from the results. HRH gets Optimmune in each eye once a day now and will forever probably. Optimmune is prescription and $38 about every 2 months. Ask your vet about it.

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Bruce! I will ask about that! I really think I need to be going to a bulldog vet but there really isn't one on my side of town and getting around Austin is CRAZY. My last vet in San Antonio was the BEST! Anyhow, thanks a lot!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Goldie, my foster has chronic dry eye and her vet prescribed the cyclosporine for her eyes as well. Another thing I give her that I noticed works really well is Respiratory Support supplement from CarolinaPetPantry.com. I use this because she always sounds congested and raspy. Since she's been using this I hardly ever have to wipe the gook out of her eyes or wipe the crusty stuff off even if I don't use the cyclosporine regularly. She just got back from being spayed and after only one day of not having the supplement twice a day, I'm wiping her eyes from gook and crust.

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks all, will definitely consider your recommendations!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks all, will definitely consider your recommendations!

Hello Alix, hoping you find a better solution for your bully's eye (I too, would
be concerned about the corn oil base).

I'm just up the road from you in Waco-son, Aaron is visiting a friend and going to
the music/film craziness going on, are you going to it? GOD bless! Carol

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names

Hello Alix, hoping you find a better solution for your bully's eye (I too, would
be concerned about the corn oil base).

I'm just up the road from you in Waco-son, Aaron is visiting a friend and going to
the music/film craziness going on, are you going to it? GOD bless! Carol

Hey there Carol! I was wondering where you were located! I am actually in Dripping Springs (should probably change it on my profile) which is a town about 13 miles SW of Austin on the way to Johnson City. it's in the Hill Country. I did not do any SXSW this year...it is getting to be too crazy and I would rather stay home and chill with the Diva!

OP
Valentine215

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Goldie, my foster has chronic dry eye and her vet prescribed the cyclosporine for her eyes as well. Another thing I give her that I noticed works really well is Respiratory Support supplement from CarolinaPetPantry.com. I use this because she always sounds congested and raspy. Since she's been using this I hardly ever have to wipe the gook out of her eyes or wipe the crusty stuff off even if I don't use the cyclosporine regularly. She just got back from being spayed and after only one day of not having the supplement twice a day, I'm wiping her eyes from gook and crust.

I think I am going to order this. Her eye seemed to get better and I thought it was her food but now its back so I don't think its her food. I think she just has allergies which makes the dry-eye worse. bummer. At least you know it works!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.