Help Needed! Cherry Eye Advice Needed!!

Wilsons Mom

Jan 18, 2013
Boston, MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson
I just took Wilson to the vet on Saturday for his cherry eye. They tried to push it back into place, but it wouldn't go in so the vet said he would most likely need surgery if it stays out or continues to pop out. He's recommending that I do the surgery in a month when Wilson turns 6 months old. He's also recommending that he get neutered at the same time. So, I have a dilemma...

I was going to hold off on the neutering until Wilson was a little older, but now I don't want to put him through surgery twice, if I don't have to. I'm concerned about the anesthesia. What to do..what to do???

I would love to hear from anyone else who's had the same issue to see what they decided and if they had any issues.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I just had my Voitto's sherry eye pocketed and he was a few days short of 16 weeks old. He is not going to get neutered, so we didn't have that to worry about. But the vet did recommend the op rather sooner than later. His sherry was big and very red and irritated and the conjunctiva can get abraded if it's out too long. The vet also said that it was so big, that the risk of it reoccuring is quite big, so we could need another surgery anyway. But the surgery went great and he is healing well. He recovered from the anesthesia very quickly.
My two bullies have both been under anesthesia and I have been worried sick, for nothing every time. Of course it has it's risks, but most times we worry for nothing. What ever you deside just be sure that the vet knows what he/she is doing. Demand for someone who is experienced and experienced with bullys also.

L

Lucy-licious

Billy had 2 eye ops before he was even 5 months old...one for an eye ulcer after a cat scratch the other a few short weeks later for cherry eyes.
He is going in in 3 weeks for his neuter. had he been older then yes i would have had both done together when his eyes were done.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus was 4 months when his right eye popped out and it went back within a couple hours on its own! About 1-2 months later the left out popped out but didnt go back on its own! I did massage it a couple times to keep it in and put warm compress on it! It happend 2 other times but since then it hasnt come back out! Brutus had his nueter done at 8 months b/c he had a prolasped urethra and it was emergency surgery! I would have the surgery together to avoid 2 different ones. 6 months is the normal age but I like you wanted to wait also! Its ok if he needs to do it at 6 months...

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi
What option has he offered?
Diesel got his left eye done. The vet cut a pocket and stitched it into the pocket.
My friend who's dog got cherry eye opted to get the tear gland removed and now his baby has dry eye.

The operation is straight forward. Dropped him off in the morning, picked him up in the afternoon. You wouldn't even know he had an operation. No marks, non of those rings around the dogs head nothing apart from no cherry eye.

Hope it goes well

Jimmy

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby had his cherry eye pocketed 2 weeks ago today. He was 4 months at the time and we were going to neuter him as well because he has a heart murmur so we didn't want him having to be put under twice. However after his ultra sound they told us his heart was strong enough to handle the surgery. So we opted not to neuter him at that time cause the vet had told us if we neutered him so early he wouldn't grow up to reach his full potential. I was okay with that but the boyfriend wants a BIG bully. lol man and that area anywho I think the decision is yours. Usually if he's already under for the cherry eye the neutering is a lot cheaper. For us if we were to neuter him when we did his cherry they would have only charged us $50 compared to $350 to do it later on.

OP
Wilsons Mom

Wilsons Mom

Jan 18, 2013
Boston, MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson
The vet is recommending the pocket technique which is the procedure I would prefer so that's not an issue. I chose this vet because of his experience with bulldogs and he has performed this surgery many times so that's not an issue either. I'm just a little concerned if I have him neutered this young, he won't fully develop. I've read alot of these posts and there seems to be mixed feelings as to whether or not this will happen though so I'm torn. My thought was to wait until he was around 9 months old, if possible, but I don't want to put him at risk by having to be put under twice. Nor do I know how much of difference 3 months would make as far as his growth goes. I guess I have alot to think about over the next few weeks. Ugh!!!!

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
The vet is recommending the pocket technique which is the procedure I would prefer so that's not an issue. I chose this vet because of his experience with bulldogs and he has performed this surgery many times so that's not an issue either. I'm just a little concerned if I have him neutered this young, he won't fully develop. I've read alot of these posts and there seems to be mixed feelings as to whether or not this will happen though so I'm torn. My thought was to wait until he was around 9 months old, if possible, but I don't want to put him at risk by having to be put under twice. Nor do I know how much of difference 3 months would make as far as his growth goes. I guess I have alot to think about over the next few weeks. Ugh!!!!

It's easy.
He's a bully vet, there worth there weight in gold. If you trust him go with what he says

Hope it all goes well
J

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I copied and pasted this from another person I gave advice to, hope it helps
hi , I also have a female named Blossom who developed Cherry eye at the same age (5 months) , at first I was able to massage it back in, but by the time I had her spayed at 7 months, it was no longer staying in, and was getting bigger from swelling due to being exposed to the air. I had her eye repaired at the same time as her spay surgery when she was 7 months old. unfortunately a week later the other eye poppped out as well, and pretty big right from the beginning, it wouldn't massage back in at all, and so a month later she had a second surgery to fix the eye. Our vet does not remove the tear gland, and has been doing this surgery for over 20 years, and she has her own technique that she has perfected and told us she has a 85 to 90 % success rate for the eye not to pop out again. we are very happy with the job she did, and Blossoms eyes are beautiful. We had no problems post surgery, and its been 3 months since the surgeries, and no problems. I'm so sorry you and Sophie are going through this , and having such a tough time. I am not familiar with the other method of removing the gland, but there are other members who have had it removed with no problems, and others who have had problems with dry eye, I think they can develop dry eye with either method, and there really isn't any right or wrong way to repair the eye. There are risks with both, but the tacking in of the gland with sutures has more risk of recurring cherry eye, than removing the gland altogether. i think you just have to do your research, that's what I did, and ask lots of questions, then talk to your vet, and see which method he has done more and which one he recommends and why, and them make your decision based on what you are comfortable with. In your case since the first surgery was not succesful, and they have already cut a pocket in her eye, i would be wondering if another surgery with sutures might irritate her eye and cause her more problems, and for the price $1800 and no guarantee, i would be leery of doing it again, a better option for you may be to remove the gland altogether to save her having more surgeries, and risking irritation to her eyes, and future problems down the road. If you have it removed, you wouldn't have to worry about it not working, and having to do further surgeries. you may have to give drops after , but I would rather do that than have her go through more. It is something you have to discuss and think about, and then make a decision with your vet. I hope everythng works out for Sophie and you find a way to fix her eyes. sending love , hugs and prayers your way, for a solution, and a speedy recovery for Sophie. Keep us posted on what you decide , and how she is doing.

Kristen657

Dec 22, 2012
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Griffen
Hello,

I'll share my current experience. My bully is roughly 6mos old and I had him in to see the vet ophthalmologist a week ago. She said there is a better success rate when they are older, typically she wont do the surgery before 8mos. It is a difficult repair for bullies, because unlike other breeds, they have droopy eyelids. This makes the repair harder because there's nowhere to 'hide' the protruding 'cherry eye'. It also makes it more prone to return. She explained that she uses a special technique, taking cartiledge from the top of the eye and moving it to 'tack' down the eyelid. She said she would not neuter at the same time because the eye surgery is quite long and she does not want him anesthetized for that long, also, he would be in a lot of pain with both surgeries.

She said he would need a cone for 6-8weeks post eye surgery to allow it to heal. She explained that bulldogs eye sockets are different than humans, and most other breeds, they don't have much protection, as their eye balls stick out like pugs and frenchies. This means their eyes lack the protection most dogs have.
I would suggest a tear production test which is around $30 to see how his tear production is, this may give you an idea of how his tear ducts are functioning, and may dictate how soon you do the surgery to preserve that.

My regular vet said she could do the surgery but his eyes wouldn't look right most likely. It will cost us roughly $1900 for the complete eye surgery. Do your own research, don't let anyone push you into anything. The younger your puppy is, the more active they will be and more difficult to control with the cone on. I am hoping my puppy settles down a little more after he is fixed, and that will make the 8 weeks of having the cone on a little easier. Having your bully intubated is a big deal, make sure your vet is comfortable doing this, and ensure he will have proper post operative care. My reg vet has ensured me that all bullies they do surgery on keep the breathing tube in untill they are biting on it and are fully awake. Surgery is always a big risk. I think I would be worried to let my dog go under any younger than 6mos.

Best of luck with your decision!!

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
We had two cherry eye surgeries and a neuter at 5 months. Then at 6 months, 2 entropian surgeries. We opted to do the pocket surgery, and we did have to have one redone, eventually. However, both of Max's tear ducts were still functioning, so I felt it was worth it. After seeing his eye problems, I definitely wanted him neutered, so the vet and I decided it would be best to do as much as we could while Max was already under. It was a good decision for us, but might not be for every dog.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online