Help Needed! Entropion surgery.... help!

suzybsyr

Jan 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey2
A month ago my 1-year old Olde English, Jeffrey, had surgery on both of his eyes for Entropion, immediately after the surgery I was concerned that the vet might have taken too much skin from under his eyes, more on one than the other. And now that the stitches are out, his eyes just don't look good, the skin underneath is pulled down so it looks droopy all the time. I have attached a picture of when he still had his stitches in, but it is not much better than this now that they are removed. Is this a normal outcome from this surgery or should I say something to the vet, and to top it off, his eye is still watering. I feel horrible for putting him through this surgery and the problem is still there, and he doesn't look like himself anymore!

Jeffrey.jpg

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I'm no help on this, just wanted to say good luck. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with advice for you.

OP
S

suzybsyr

Jan 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey2
Thanks Baconator. I feel like I failed my little guy and maybe rushed into getting him the surgery too soon, I did homework on this too, but forgot all about coming here to ask as well! His eyes were watering so bad before the surgery I just wanted him to have relief. :nope: I have a call into the vet that did the surgery to complain to her and see what she said. It's almost like they took too much from the outsides of his lid and not enough on the inside so it's making a small pocket towards the outside, but still turned in at the inside corners.

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
Here is a pic of my Santino and he had entropian surgery a few yrs ago and had it twice on the right eye and his eyes also look droopy all the time and they water continuously as well. He is now 6 yrs old and I took him back a couple months ago to ask vet if he needed it again and was advised that he didn't. I also don't think it was a very good job.
my8y3usy.jpg

I guess I've learned to love him with droopy eyes cuz he's simply beautiful to me!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Holy cow, I would go talk to that vet, I think he totally messed up. We adopted Jewel about a year ago and she needed entropian surgery on both eyes, and as you can see her eyes look great. It has been about 6 or 7 months since the surgery. They did water quite a bit after the surgery for about a month, but now they don't.

IMAG0417_zpsfcade3fe.jpg

Last edited:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
wow, this is a scary thread for me to read since I just dropped off Oliver tonight for entropian surgery tomorrow. I"m keeping my fingers crossed that he turns out like Jewel. Dr. Wilson does thousands of entropian surgeries so I'm guessing he'll be okay, but now I'm wondering.

OP
S

suzybsyr

Jan 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey2
Thanks Davidh, I have a call into the vet that did Jeffrey's surgery. I still love my little man no matter what he looks like, but as we all know, with the amount of money we pay for them and their health, we don't want them to look mutilated either. I will see what this vet says and if she starts making excuses, I'm thinking I will go somewhere else to get their opinion. I'm wondering if another vet woudln't want to touch him after one already messed up though.

Kim - good luck with Oliver's surgery. I would love to hear your "after surgery" experience!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
I'm not sure what to say about this. Chunk's eyes look a little droopy after his surgery but not much. I feel that his surgery was great because we have had no eye problems since; also I took him to an eye doctor specifically who does a lot of these surgeries on bulldogs. I think you have to consider that even though it is very droopy, maybe it's because they are just so different from when they were rolling in. It's just such a different look to their eyes! I think he looks adorable and ultimately, if it fixed his eye issues that is what is most important!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks Davidh, I have a call into the vet that did Jeffrey's surgery. I still love my little man no matter what he looks like, but as we all know, with the amount of money we pay for them and their health, we don't want them to look mutilated either. I will see what this vet says and if she starts making excuses, I'm thinking I will go somewhere else to get their opinion. I'm wondering if another vet woudln't want to touch him after one already messed up though.

Kim - good luck with Oliver's surgery. I would love to hear your "after surgery" experience!

Please keep us posted..... good luck with the vet

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
If you look at Max's picture below, you can see his eyes look normal now. He had entropian and cherry eye surgery on both eyes when he was 6 months. One eye had to have cherry eye surgery twice because the gland came out of the pocket. Anyway, he looked very similar to OP's puppy for several months after the surgery.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanks Baconator. I feel like I failed my little guy and maybe rushed into getting him the surgery too soon, I did homework on this too, but forgot all about coming here to ask as well! His eyes were watering so bad before the surgery I just wanted him to have relief. :nope: I have a call into the vet that did the surgery to complain to her and see what she said. It's almost like they took too much from the outsides of his lid and not enough on the inside so it's making a small pocket towards the outside, but still turned in at the inside corners.

As soon as I enlarged the pic I thought the same thing... too far to the outside. I'll be interested in what the vet says... I'll bet she doesnt admit to doing it wrong. At any rate your baby is still darling. ;)

OP
S

suzybsyr

Jan 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey2
As soon as I enlarged the pic I thought the same thing... too far to the outside. I'll be interested in what the vet says... I'll bet she doesnt admit to doing it wrong. At any rate your baby is still darling. ;)

Thanks! He is an absolute joy of a dog! And because of him I know I can never be bully-less again! I have an appointment tonight with the vet who did the surgery and she is going to let me know what she thinks. As much as I really trusted them before I feel like I have to be on guard now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks! He is an absolute joy of a dog! And because of him I know I can never be bully-less again! I have an appointment tonight with the vet who did the surgery and she is going to let me know what she thinks. As much as I really trusted them before I feel like I have to be on guard now.

Good luck... let us know how it goes with her.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.