General Question Allergies and Location

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I was wondering if a poll or discussion has ever taken place in this forum concerning incidences of allergies and location or region where we live.
There are a lots of discussion concerning allergic reactions in our pets weekly, daily even in this forum and I wonder is there a greater incidence among those that
live in a particular region or is it about the same among all the regions?
I live in the deep south [North Florida] and the enviromental allergens are very high from pollen to insect bites.
I think that it may be a big help if we could recognize the most likely source if the rate of incidences were greater in some regions over others.
For instance if someone's pet is suffering from an allergic reaction and we start changing their food to alleviate it and have little or infrequent success it may not be food
at all but an enviromental issue and vice versa.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I see what you are saying, but as with humans - what impacts one may not impact another. What we have learned over the years is Bulldogs tend to have more allergic reactions than most other breeds, but full-breed canines all have some levels of allergy issues ... the mix breeds tend to have less.

There never has been a poll or specific thread related to location vs. allergy -- least noth that I have read or heard about.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I live in N Florida as well, Bella was horrible just before the holidays and bad again now. I think a lot has to do with the pollen, we had an early pollen burst and are in it again. Frequent baths and Benedryl for when she is so miserable.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You are right it's not always the food, but the right food can also help with seasonal allergies because it boost the immune system making them less prone to seasonal allergies. :up:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
A good thought but I'm not sure there's an area that allergies are better than others plus dogs are allergic to different things.

I live in Arizona - the desert - where you'd THINK allergies wouldn't be that bad but both of mine are terrible with environmental allergies, whether it be from the vegetation, house, etc.

It's so frustrating - I wish there were better answers!

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
Max has some, at times, pretty severe skin allergies. And his ears and folds and toes are ALWAYS yeasty. It can't be food because I had him tested for that and he is on a very limited ingredient diet for food and treats. It HAS to be environmental...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.