Help Needed! Bald spot?

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
Me and wife noticed a small bald spot on Beaux's back. Just wondering if anyone knows what it could be. It is sunday so the vet isn't opened and Ill have to make an appointment. Thanks 20130310_161550.jpg Its the bottom small patch.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well it could either be from allergies, or from mange. You need to take him to the vet for a scraping to rule out mange.

OP
bcarro45

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
Yeah, I will, I also noticed that he has been hanging around the hole in the fence, sticking his head through it, to talk to his cousins next door, it kinda looks like he has rubbing it on the fence, anyway will get him checked out.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Yeah, I will, I also noticed that he has been hanging around the hole in the fence, sticking his head through it, to talk to his cousins next door, it kinda looks like he has rubbing it on the fence, anyway will get him checked out.

so Lola has had a growing bald spot and i totally thought it was mange but when we went to the vet last week, he wouldn't even do a scraping because Lola was not itchy.she doesn't even attempt to scratch it. its the size of my hand, huge on a bulldog but he said it was an allergy to something we feed her. cutting out dairy, and beef liver...keeping her on beef (raw) and a great Canadian made kibble that is beef and pork. if your pup is not super itchy, it might not be mange.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
The fence sounds like a likely culprit. I sure hope the vet rules out mange and that's all it is.

OP
bcarro45

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
so Lola has had a growing bald spot and i totally thought it was mange but when we went to the vet last week, he wouldn't even do a scraping because Lola was not itchy.she doesn't even attempt to scratch it. its the size of my hand, huge on a bulldog but he said it was an allergy to something we feed her. cutting out dairy, and beef liver...keeping her on beef (raw) and a great Canadian made kibble that is beef and pork. if your pup is not super itchy, it might not be mange.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
he doesn't scratch it either or try to scratch at it. We have been feeding him the same food since he was 14 weeks old, so I wouldn't think food allergy

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
he doesn't scratch it either or try to scratch at it. We have been feeding him the same food since he was 14 weeks old, so I wouldn't think food allergy
You may not realize, but dogs can develop allergies to certain foods or proteins over time. Lola ate chicken all her life but became allergic rather quickly when she was 18 months old with itchy paws, balding spots, red ears, tear stains, acne all over her chin. We cut it out, and all but the bald spot is back to normal :) We then cut out venison (which were her treats and alternative kibble). Bald spot is growing back hair we think now too :)

BrunosMum

Dec 10, 2011
Canada
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno, Mya
It could be seasonal alopecia. Bruno had this last year. Our vet recommended giving him melatonin once a day.

- - - Updated - - -

It could be seasonal alopecia. Bruno had this last year. Our vet recommended giving him melatonin once a day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hmm: ..... if he is not bothered by it, I am thinking the fence is the culprit, but I would definitley get the scrape done to rule out mange.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.