Other Cleo overheated and it scared me!!!

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Well, as [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] mentioned, we went to the Milwaukee meet up yesterday and just loved it. I've now been to both the Chicago and Milwaukee and I'll say that I'll keep going to WI now instead as it's the same distance but much, much easier drive. Due to construction on the highway it took almost 45 minutes but I can see it only taking about 35 without. The Bark is awesome! I hope they start offering overnight care soon as I'll be looking for them to spend a weekend somewhere this summer when I fly the kids to AZ to visit with my family for a month and I've already decided to fly out of Milwaukee. Everyone was so nice and welcoming and of course, I was able to cross off meeting HRH off my bucket list:tongue: My Ava loved her [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] original and thinks we should dress up Fat Cleo now. Ha! She'd be like Chris Farley in David Spades jacket in Tommy Boy, fat bully in a li-ttle coat!

But, back to the scariness Fat Cleo is a ball hog. She didn't play with anyone, she just beelined it towards the nearest toy and shoved it in her mouth. Well, as she got too excited after awhile, she started panting more and more. She wanted to lay under the table with her "precious" (think my best Smeegle impersonation) but would get up and scurry off every time another bully would come near her. I took her out and sat down with her to cool her off but it didn't seem to work and she was panting pretty bad. [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] squirted some lemon juice in her mouth but her tongue was already a purply-blue so I took her right outside where she plopped her fat butt in the melted slush. It scared the crap out of me, I was terrified she would be keeling over but the icy slush seemed to do the trick. I hear it gets pretty warm here in the summer so I think I'll have to come prepared to summer meet ups with an ice chest full of ice to plop her in if need be. I'll be searching the thrift shops now for a nice sized one just for her or any other bullies that seem to need it in emergencies like this.

So, the moral of this story is to please please watch your bully for over heating signs, she wasn't even playing but with that darn ball in her mouth the whole time she just wasn't getting enough air in. It also probably doesn't help that she's a fat hog who's never missed a meal but that's another thread altogether. Mac did fine though, he's very athletic and has a great airway (per the vet) and hardly ever pants at all. We didn't have to open his nose up like we did Cleo's when she was spayed.

L

Lucy-licious

So good to hear she is ok and that despite the fright you all had a good time :hug:

Over heating happens very fast and can escalate even faster. Lucy has over heated once last year when she found a ball on her short walk and insisted on carrying it with her. It wasnt to warm but just her excitement and reluctance to put the ball down was enough. One cool shower later and she was just fine x

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Wow that must have been pretty scary! Glad everything is okay :hug:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
glad she's okay. I pack a full bag with everything I think I will need if I'm spending anytime away from home with my boys (indoors or outdoors). I just call my doggie diaper bag and it's always packed and ready to go minus frozen water

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'm sorry this had to scare you so badly and glad the outcome was good. This is a perfect example for other peeps to read and should learn from you

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Thank you for the warning. I always was very aware of the danger with my bullmastiffs, but think with bulldogs it will be even more important to watch them for signs of overheating.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Glad Cleo recovered so quick. It was very nice meeting you, the kids and Mac and Cleo.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Im glad Ms Cleo (I'll not call her Fat Cleo) is fine today. And like Ava I think Ms Cleo should have some pretty little things to wear. What can I say about Mack... he's a tank!! lol I enjoyed talking to you and spending time with your family. Hope we will see you at the Easter egg hunt on the 23rd and the bully meet up in April.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well glad it turned out OK, it can be a scary thing when they over heat or can't breath well.

OP
babybully

babybully

May 31, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Im glad Ms Cleo (I'll not call her Fat Cleo) is fine today. And like Ava I think Ms Cleo should have some pretty little things to wear. What can I say about Mack... he's a tank!! lol I enjoyed talking to you and spending time with your family. Hope we will see you at the Easter egg hunt on the 23rd and the bully meet up in April.

Well, compared to all the other full grown bullies, he's more of a bulldozer I think. He may have been the small fry for the boys but he packs a punch when he's dozing his way through a crowd. I hope to make it to the Egg Hunt but that is hubby's birthday so it depends on if has to work or not. Actually, if he's off I know he'll want to go I think he was a little bummed yesterday since as soon as he got home he was asking me about the meet up. Like me, he loves everything bulldog. I'm just worried about Miss Ball Hog since it's clear she won't just ignore a ball and must have something in her mouth. Hopefully I find an ice chest by then to fit her in.

OP
babybully

babybully

May 31, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Glad Cleo recovered so quick. It was very nice meeting you, the kids and Mac and Cleo.

Oh, it was lovely to meet ya'll too! Gina was so nice as well, is she on here too? It was nice to meet HRH, truly a once in a lifetime experience!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
No, Gina does not participate here, not that I haven't asked her to join about 47 times.. lol

I think Ms Cleo will be fine as long as we keep an eye on her. We have a large cooler that we got at Walmart to transport fish to shows... I think it was about $55.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like you all had a great time.... so glad you and Bruce/Lari saw the warning signs with Cleo and she is OK. And, stop calling her FAT, she is going todevelop a complex :tapfoot:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Ugh, I am sorry you had such a scare! As someone who lost her bully to heat stroke, I agree with you completely - you cannot and must not underestimate the danger of heat and exhaustion on these dogs. Thanks for the reminder!

OP
babybully

babybully

May 31, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Sounds like you all had a great time.... so glad you and Bruce/Lari saw the warning signs with Cleo and she is OK. And, stop calling her FAT, she is going todevelop a complex :tapfoot:

Hey, hey, we LOVE her fat! :p We don't like them skinny pooches around here as my hubby says whenever someone says "gee, she's kinda round isn't she?" Hubby probably sounds like a chubby chaser, he's always telling me not to let her "waste away" so feed the poor girl!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.