Help Needed! Acne? Got questions!

D

DaisyBulldog

IMG_4739.jpgIMG_4740.jpgHi all -

This might be kinda long because I want to include all the info so you can best help out my Daisy, so bear with me. :)

I got Daisy in November, less than 4 months ago. Her skin was gorgeous, no redness. I've been feeding her Fromm's grain free kibble, rotating mainly between chicken, duck, and pork. One cup in the mornings. At night, she usually gets a dehydrated raw mixed in hot water, though when I'm feeling lazy (yes, can't even deal with mixing hot water), she will get more kibble. Weight has been stable, skin great.

The girl eats with such gusto, she sends her stainless steel bowl all over the room, making a total mess in the process. She is NOT a neat eater! LOL! So about three weeks ago, I got her raised porcelain bowls. The porcelain combined with the raised stand made things more stable, and she kept her mess in one place. :clap2: Then after about a week, I noticed she was breaking out with acne in one confined area on one side of her chin. I know stainless steel bowls are best for this problem, so I found one that fits into the stand, leaving one porcelain bowl she doesn't actually use, just to stabilize. Fine, problem solved.

Except it isn't! The original red acne area has not improved, and has been several little open red areas that have been bleeding on and off. I peroxided the area originally, have done some warm compresses, and wipe gently/dry gently to keep it clean. Yesterday I was debating weather to call the vet for an appointment to have it checked.

Tonight, I realized her acne has EXPLODED! See the two pictures above. The one side looks worse, and now the other side is involved, along with around her mouth.

I did a search on here for "acne" and found that the acne can also be a reaction from a food allergy. Last weekend I bought Wellness Simple Salmon and Potato (grain free) instead of her usual Fromm's kibble.

So here are my questions:
1. Do you think, first of all, she looks bad enough to be in need of anti biotics? Should I make a vet appointment?
2. Do you think the worsening of her skin is actually from the change in food? I didn't realize dogs could be allergic to SALMON. I always believed beef and chicken, and for some, lamb were the protein allergens because they are used so much in dog food.
3. How do I treat this? It doesn't seem to itch or bother her at all. I saw suggestions in other threads of desitin, witch hazel, or benedryl. What would be the best approach in Daisy's case, do you think?

If you made it this far, thank you very much for sticking with me. :rolleyes: :tongue:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
the one side does appear to be pretty bad, food change will do this. also, I would wipe her face with plain water and dry after she drinks water. I would also only use stainless steel. Water dish should have fresh water several times a day. keep the chin dry and put just a dab of Desitin on it.

allyxo

Jun 26, 2012
29 Palms, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny
My bulldog has the exact same problem! I always thought it was because she chews so hard that she rubs the area around her mouth. Now, I feel bad that it might be due to her food (fromm) Interested to hear the responses.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Chin acne is because of constantly wet or irritated skin, rubbing, ect., so it could be from several different sources.... But basically it's most likely bacteria. Ceramic or stainless bowls, fresh and clean several times a day, can help resolve this issue.

Patting the face dry after a drink will also help.

I have a question, you said you got her 4 months ago? That was her as a puppy if I remember correct, forgive me if I'm wrong. Chin acne doesn't show up until they are about 5 months old or older, so that may be why you never had the problem before.

Raised dishes can cause an issue here too, because of the angle, even more if the chin will get wet while drinking than if the bowl were on the ground. I suppose the same would apply to eating.

Those are my ideas, I really don't think this is a food issue, I could be wrong, but I am thinking more like older puppy hormones and bacteria from the raised bowls.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
D

DaisyBulldog

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] While I did get Daisy four months ago, she is an adult EB. :) I had wondered about the raised dish against her chin, also. I guess I'll go back to her original dish on the floor, though I am also going to change back to the Fromm's kibble.

Thanks for all the replies!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I bought Stridex pads one time during an outbreak with Bea when she was a pup. Clean stainless steel dishes and frequent wipes - with just warm water on a paper towel -- for "gravy face" and it's not an issue anymore. I still have a container of them Stridex pads in there....along with three more drawers of bulldog remedies.....:crazy:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I used Stridex pads on my male bullmastiff when he had this problem years ago. It helped to keep it clean and dry. I know it was helped most when we changed his food from the Wysong I was feeding. I also think the ceramic and stainless bowls are best. Make sure you wash them with a good antibacterial soap after every feeding. Mine go right in the dishwasher. I have a friend who said she'll never eat at my house because of that! :rolleyes:

OP
D

DaisyBulldog

LOL [MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION]!!! Thanks for all the great advice everyone. No more raised feeder, and more chin cleaning. :2thumbs:

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Mack's face looked exactly like that. Stridex pads did help some but never got it to go away completely. We actually went to the vet yesterday for this exact reason she took one look and right away said he needed a anti biotic. Less than two doses and it already looks waaaay less swollen. I would try the green stridex pads (alcohol free with aloe) and see if that helps other wise get an anti boric

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

OP
D

DaisyBulldog

Thanks so much [MENTION=6215]Noyes27[/MENTION]!! I actually found some Douxo pads in my doggie medicine cabinet (which is waaaaaaay better stocked than my own!), and used one on Daisy today. They are anti-bacterial and anti-yeast. I originally got them for one of my pekingese who had a yeast infection in his nose fold. I prefer to use these pads, remove the raised feeders that may be aggravating the acne, and take a "wait and see" approach. I would also prefer to avoid anti biotics, as I believe they are used WAY too much on ourselves and our pet companions. :no: Yep, I'm even one of those who won't do vaccines on my dogs or myself. :down: If I can treat her at home, I will do my best to do so. Thank you for your story and input!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Mack's face looked exactly like that. Stridex pads did help some but never got it to go away completely. We actually went to the vet yesterday for this exact reason she took one look and right away said he needed a anti biotic. Less than two doses and it already looks waaaay less swollen. I would try the green stridex pads (alcohol free with aloe) and see if that helps other wise get an anti boric

Great point. Simple acne that's infected --- isn't so simple anymore and will require medical intervention. Letting an infection go is a recipe for future troubles. Great point!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Great point. Simple acne that's infected --- isn't so simple anymore and will require medical intervention. Letting an infection go is a recipe for future troubles. Great point!!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH!!! That looks so painful, but you have great advice given and are on the right track.... Keep us posted on progress

OP
D

DaisyBulldog

IMG_4744.jpg

Thanks everyone! Here is an updated picture. Looks MUCH better!!! All I did was change from the raised feeder to putting it back on the floor, and be more diligent about wiping her chin dry. Quite a difference in just two days. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
View attachment 39072

Thanks everyone! Here is an updated picture. Looks MUCH better!!! All I did was change from the raised feeder to putting it back on the floor, and be more diligent about wiping her chin dry. Quite a difference in just two days. :)

Wow big difference in two days!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It does look alot better, good to see. I love her teeth!! ;)

Most Reactions