URGENT!!! Hives out the wazzoo and have no idea why!

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My husband is with my son at the hospital so last night i left tank out of his kennel. When i woke up this morning he looked like this

Picture 002.jpgPicture 001.jpg

He has Never had them this bad and I cant figure out what he got into. Nothing is out of place. I gave him two antihistimine and a steroid pill (i had some left over from last set of hives) but have no clue what couldve caused this and like ive said ive never seen them as bad as this. Unfortunately my husband took my vehicle to chicago so i am without a vehicle so i cant just take him to the vet. Any suggestions????

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh boy. I haven't personally dealt with hives but hoping the meds help quickly. I now they can be very dangerous cuz if they get them inside their throat can swell closed (or what I have heard) maybe a bath would help in case it is from being in contact with something?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Only thing I can think of is a cool bath in antibacterial soap in case it's a contact allergy. Don't use hot water! Watch his gums and tongue for swelling and turning blue /purple. The antihistamine and steroid should calm it down. Keep us posted, poor baby!! Hugs!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
inside his mouth looks fine none are on his cheeks but there are some on his neck but he dont feel tight in the neck area or look swollen there just has the hives. I will try a cool bath

Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Georgie Girl
This can be very serious, as you know. Fortunately you had steroid pills on hand and antihistimine. Do you have a neighbor or friend that could take you and Tank to the vet if it doesn't subside? Keep an eye on Tank all day and make sure he has plenty of water.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
a friend has offered a ride. i gave him a bath and found some fleas he has NEVER had them before. can that cause this?????

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The steroid pill and antihistamine should start to help. Hope the gets better soon.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
the steroid n anti histamine should take care of it and yes if your dog has a flea allergy is can cause this. doesnt mean it was but sure could be the culprit. get rid of the fleas n see if he gets better. watch him all day and keep us updated.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
My husband is with my son at the hospital so last night i left tank out of his kennel. When i woke up this morning he looked like this

View attachment 38812View attachment 38813

He has Never had them this bad and I cant figure out what he got into. Nothing is out of place. I gave him two antihistimine and a steroid pill (i had some left over from last set of hives) but have no clue what couldve caused this and like ive said ive never seen them as bad as this. Unfortunately my husband took my vehicle to chicago so i am without a vehicle so i cant just take him to the vet. Any suggestions????

Dublin has had some serious bouts of hives. Luckily you have the steroids on hand and the anithistimine. You should see an improvement soon. That is what the vet would do anyway. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate so don't panic. If you have been down this road before with Tank then you know what to expect. It is very hard to pin point what causes these outbreaks. With Dublin it is usually environmental as she has terrible allergies. Hang in there he will be fine.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Dublin has had some serious bouts of hives. Luckily you have the steroids on hand and the anithistimine. You should see an improvement soon. That is what the vet would do anyway. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate so don't panic. If you have been down this road before with Tank then you know what to expect. It is very hard to pin point what causes these outbreaks. With Dublin it is usually environmental as she has terrible allergies. Hang in there he will be fine.

yea at this point im tired of things going wrong :( After his bath he dont seem so red and itchy but his shampoo is for hot spots and itch so i think that helped. Only other thing i can figure is i mopped my floors last night and used lysol instead of the all natural all purpose cleaner i usually use. I just thought with all the health issues lately lysol would kill more bacteria but im wondering if it along with maybe fleas is what caused this especially since hes not as red since his bath.....

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
yea at this point im tired of things going wrong :( After his bath he dont seem so red and itchy but his shampoo is for hot spots and itch so i think that helped. Only other thing i can figure is i mopped my floors last night and used lysol instead of the all natural all purpose cleaner i usually use. I just thought with all the health issues lately lysol would kill more bacteria but im wondering if it along with maybe fleas is what caused this especially since hes not as red since his bath.....

it could be the Lysol, it could be the fleas, it could be almost anything. Keep up the meds and see how he goes. What flea meds do you give him? Were the fleas dead or alive? If the flea meds you are giving him is working then they should be dead. Live fleas not good, so you may want to deal with that. If he is getting better through the day then the steroids are working.

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
it could be the Lysol, it could be the fleas, it could be almost anything. Keep up the meds and see how he goes. What flea meds do you give him? Were the fleas dead or alive? If the flea meds you are giving him is working then they should be dead. Live fleas not good, so you may want to deal with that. If he is getting better through the day then the steroids are working.

He is on lufenuron/ivermectin compound it does heart worms, all worms and fleas but it doesnt kill fleas it makes them infertile so they cant breed. a friend is coming to pick me up to go get a flea tablet from the vet (hes allergic to the liquid stuff that goes on his skin) and going to pick up more benedryl cause i only have one dose.

I am frazzled :(

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
He is on lufenuron/ivermectin compound it does heart worms, all worms and fleas but it doesnt kill fleas it makes them infertile so they cant breed. a friend is coming to pick me up to go get a flea tablet from the vet (hes allergic to the liquid stuff that goes on his skin) and going to pick up more benedryl cause i only have one dose.

I am frazzled :(

Dublin is allergic to any of the topical heartworm/flea meds also. We use Trifexis now. It is a monthly pill and so far so good. Take a deep breath. You are doing everything you can. He will be fine.:yes:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
how is he now [MENTION=3251]theparrisfive[/MENTION]? i hope he is doing better. dont panic ive been through this with sarah a couple of times. :hug:

OP
theparrisfive

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
how is he now [MENTION=3251]theparrisfive[/MENTION]? i hope he is doing better. dont panic ive been through this with sarah a couple of times. :hug:

He's doing better you can still see hives but they aren't bumped up anymore and he's now light pink so that's a lot better. He's pretty tired but benedryl usually makes him sleepy. Which in a way is good cause his hind leg has been bothering him so at least hes staying off of it... I've given him a good bath, a flea pill and rinsed my floors to get the Lysol off of them. I'm hoping it will clear up before I trade the husband places. Tomorrow evening I head to Chicago to sit with our youngest.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.