General Question Lucy went to the vet today and she is underweight!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
So I took Lucy today for her 9 week shots and they said she is under weight and I do agree! I bought two cans of EVO beef canned food to give her a spoon full along with her kibble every meal. The EVO can says its 95% beef and its high in calories. He said he likes to see bulldogs her age gain 5 pounds per month but he wants her to gain 8 lbs by the next visit. So my question is does any one know how to add weight to a puppy without giving the massive poops? She is on a grain free all stages food so maybe it is a little to lean but I love the food so I don't want to change that I rather give snacks and put toppers on her food. I also have tried giving her cottage cheese a couple times and she gets the runs so not really sure what would work for her. Thanks!
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How much is she eating per day right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
She is eating two cups now but he wants me to go up a half cup a day.

- - - Updated - - -

Lola was very lean as well but so is both of their moms. She has a very lean look to her and is very active and that is for sure who Lola took after but Lucy has more of the dads traits.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I have been told adding a tablespoon of coconut oil a day will help, supplemented by a little meat that is well tolerated. I am supposed to do this for my new baby bully Buster when he arrives tomorrow for the next few weeks to month. Apparently he came from a litter that did not have much drive to eat. He looks pretty chubby to me but I will follow directions. But there are a lot of folks on this site who are experienced in nutrition and I would defer to their recommendations.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Lots of broccoli, it's good calories, but calories non-the-less

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would just increase the kibble a bit, maybe a smudge of cottage cheese :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], we would feed a pup that young 3 times a day and about 3/4 to 1 cup each feeding.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Ok I will go up to 3/4 a meal and add a couple spoon fulls of the EVO and hopes it helps.

L

Lucy-licious

I see its already been suggested...I would just increase the kibble and blob some cottage cheese on there too :D

I usually have the opposite problem...cutting back cos Lucy puts on pounds very quickly :eek:

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
So I started Lucy on 3/4 cup yesterday for lunch and gave her a big spoon of the EVO beef soft food so it has been 5 meals of that and I swear I can see a difference in her already! she still isnt as puppy chubby as she needs to be but she is looking better! I feel bad that I was starving her and didn't even know it! So far she hasn't gotten the runs so keeping my fingers crossed!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
sounds like you found the right food match for her :) glad she is looking better already.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So I started Lucy on 3/4 cup yesterday for lunch and gave her a big spoon of the EVO beef soft food so it has been 5 meals of that and I swear I can see a difference in her already! she still isnt as puppy chubby as she needs to be but she is looking better! I feel bad that I was starving her and didn't even know it! So far she hasn't gotten the runs so keeping my fingers crossed!

Good to hear she is responding.... keep us posted with pictures :D

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well im late as ive been puter less but seems you are on the right track with upping the food. i hope she continues to get better. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.