Help Needed! Does anyone know what could be going on?!

Allie

Nov 16, 2012
Calgary, AB
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Last year, my adopted bulldog George was found on the side of the road in Manitoba wandering without a home. I took his boney, dirty body back to Alberta and nursed him back to health. He underwent surgery to have two massive bladder stones removed. This cost us a fortune because of some shotty vet work but finally George was healthy. We have his urine tested every six months to make sure everything is ok.

Yesterday, a year after his surgery, I found blood in his urine. We have a vet appointment tonight to have his urine tested once again even though he had it tested three months ago and he was given a clean bill of health.
He doesn't seem to be in pain, eating fine and drinking plenty of water. COULD BLADDER STONES BE BACK AFTER JUST 3 MONTHS? WHEN HE HAS BEEN OKAY FOR A YEAR?

He has to eat Urinary SO - anything else (even home made food) and his pH levels SKY ROCKET.

Also,
He has bilateral bald spots on his sides that seem to appear around March each year, his skin is dry and flakey and his paws and nose get horny and rough if we dont moisturize them every day.. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THIS COULD MEAN? We've done several skin scrappings that have come up clean so we don't think it's mites or mange..

I don't trust vets completely now because of our experience with the one who did George's surgery. I am just looking for similar experiences or new opinions...

ANY HELP IS GOOD HELP.
Thanks! :*(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Don't know about the bladder stones, but the hair loss on his sides sounds like seasonal Alopecia. It is a harmless disease, that some thing is brought on by not enough sunshine in the winter and will clear up in the summer time. I hope the bladder infection is not serious and your baby gets better soon.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Have you tested for crystals? Tagging our uti expert here [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION].

And poor George ... and worried momma! Maybe for the flakes, a new shampoo can fix it. Something for very sensitive skin. Is he itching at all?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My older bully has Hyperuricosuria that makes him prone to develope urate bladder stones. Has your vet told you what kind of stones your bully has. There are a few different kinds and the treatment/diet is different. Also six months is too far apart to test for pH. You should test it your self every month and your vet should of told you that. That food alone can make your bully go bold...In most cases it is not the only food they can eat...your vet only wants you to think so cause he sells it.

OP
Allie

Allie

Nov 16, 2012
Calgary, AB
Bulldog(s) Names
George
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]
We are getting a urine analysis tonight so I won't know until then about crystals.
I had no idea he could be tested at home, I will pick up pH sticks tonight. I wish my vet would have told me that instead of making me spend $140 every six months..
Any suggestions for alternate food? I would love to get him off of Urinary SO - it makes him gain weight like crazy. I'm so scared to try anything different. I would hate to see him cut open again on account of me messing with his food.
If he doesn't have any stones and this is just a UTI (God willing), is there any way to find out what causes stones without an actual bladder stone? After they took his first stones out I was never told what kind of stones they actually are.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
@savemejeebus @RiiSi
We are getting a urine analysis tonight so I won't know until then about crystals.
I had no idea he could be tested at home, I will pick up pH sticks tonight. I wish my vet would have told me that instead of making me spend $140 every six months..
Any suggestions for alternate food? I would love to get him off of Urinary SO - it makes him gain weight like crazy. I'm so scared to try anything different. I would hate to see him cut open again on account of me messing with his food.
If he doesn't have any stones and this is just a UTI (God willing), is there any way to find out what causes stones without an actual bladder stone? After they took his first stones out I was never told what kind of stones they actually are.

They absolutely must have had the stones tested in the first place. Other wise they wouldn't of known what food to give him. So you have to get some answers this time. i can't give any suggestions before I know what kind of stones he had/has even if he doesn't have them now. I suggest that you buy an electrical pH meter and test his urine first once a week and later once a month. Depending on the stones the way to keep his urine pH at the right level is different.

OP
Allie

Allie

Nov 16, 2012
Calgary, AB
Bulldog(s) Names
George
I will get answers tonight - hopefully I can give more information then.
Thank you so much for your help and quick responses.
Wish us luck! :*(:heart:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Try not to worry...I know...easier said than done. I was just a total wreck with my youngest having his sherry eye fixed. But be strong for him and demand answers from the vet. :hug:

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
I will get answers tonight - hopefully I can give more information then.
Thank you so much for your help and quick responses.
Wish us luck! :*(:heart:

Hi! I am not able to give much advice on this, but I wanted to give a shout out to a fellow Canadian & Calgarian! I am in rural eastern Ontario now, and I don't know about your area but there aren't many EBs OR EB-specific vets. The breed isn't as popular here as it is in the US I think. I am not a long way from Ottawa and I couldn't find an EB expert. Luckily I have an awesome progressive vet who does her research and contacts colleagues far and wide for EB info. I have been through knee surgery and tons of allergy /skin sessions with her and I totally trust her. I hope you are able to find the same with your vet!

and you are my HERO for rescuing poor George! You are an angel!
best of luck and keep us posted :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I would ask the vet too if the previous tests showed what type of stones they were. They should have the test results in your file, and they should give you a copy if you request for one. You're in Calgary, AB, right? I know there's an eb rescue in your province, a big one too! I'll see if they can recommend any bully experienced vet in your area. Finding the right one, especially one that you're very comfortable with and confident in will make a whole lotta difference.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
From ABR :)

ABR uses Cambrian Animal Hospital (Dr Sharma), DeWinton Pet Hospital or Edgemont Veterinary Clinic. There is also Dr Barlow in Okotokes that is a gerat surgeon and comes highly reccomended.
[MENTION=7067]Allie[/MENTION]

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi! I am not able to give much advice on this, but I wanted to give a shout out to a fellow Canadian & Calgarian! I am in rural eastern Ontario now, and I don't know about your area but there aren't many EBs OR EB-specific vets. The breed isn't as popular here as it is in the US I think. I am not a long way from Ottawa and I couldn't find an EB expert. Luckily I have an awesome progressive vet who does her research and contacts colleagues far and wide for EB info. I have been through knee surgery and tons of allergy /skin sessions with her and I totally trust her. I hope you are able to find the same with your vet!

and you are my HERO for rescuing poor George! You are an angel!
best of luck and keep us posted :)

Go Canada! :flag10: :flag10: :flag10:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I just wanted to thank you for saving george, giving him a great home and a wonderful new life! Prayers for a solution and quick recovery

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.