Help Needed! Sore from scratching to much....

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
Hello Everyone :)

My bully has terrible allergies . We have her on atopica which helps a lot. I'm trying to get her down to every other day, but it doesn't seem to be working. When I came home yesterday she scratched herself raw on her belly both sides. It’s very red and moist. She didn't want to walk or lay down because she was sore. I was able to wipe her down with cold water and apply Neosporin on the area. After that I covered the area with corn starch to dry it up and placed a t-shirt over top. I gave her the atopic right away. Is there anything else I can give or do to stop the pain?

We feed her blue buffalo grain free salmon. I was thinking about switching her to homemade food. I just read about a guy who had a lab who had very bad allergies he switched the dogs food to brown rice, vegetables (no corn), and can fish. He also wiped the dog down with 1/2 water 1/2 cider vinegar mix on her paws, ears, etc.. He never had to give the dog another allergy needle again. What do you think? Is this something I should try?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Poor Abby! Have you had an allergy screening done? It's so hard to pinpoint the culprit (s) without knowing for sure! Jake is allergic to Salmon and chicken.

I will get [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] here. She just recently started home cooking. And [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] has experience with this too

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Oh poor baby, wish I could help - I know people will be along who can - do you give benedryl at all for the itching? I do know that should help a little.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor baby, I think a food change would be a good idea, whether it's kibble or home cooked. Hope she gets better soon.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Poor baby!! As [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] is right, I have just started home cooking and this is week 2.

I am following the 50% protein, 25% fruit and veggies, 25% carbs rule. Mine do not have allergies, and so I started to home cook because it's something I really wanted to do and not something I needed to do.

We now have a full forum dedicated specifically to home cooking ... here's the link to my first ever thread in there as I started my "voyage" :up:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?24132-Here-I-go!!!!-Just-a-few-questions

OP
Kt126126

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
Thanks, benedryl does nothing for her. We have to purchase Atopica which is 200 dollars a month. We had it on it for a few months now and they say you can slowly take them down to a pill once a week, but not for Abby.

OP
Kt126126

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
No because the vet said it cost way to much to do. We know she is allergic to pretty much everything so we keep her on a the diet above. No treats other then apples, carrots and banana's.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Trying a home cooked diet is probably a great place to start. The beauty of it is that you know exactly what they are getting. Start with one protein and veggies, then each week introduce something new. She could be allergic to anything tho, even a rug in your house. Have you considered allergy testing?

The scratching raw areas sound like hot spots. These are usually triggered by food. I would not put cornstarch on those since its a food and could contribute to yeast growth. Washing them with hibiclens and apply anything with a steroid, preferably panalog or malecetic ultra, but hydrocortisone will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hello Everyone :)

My bully has terrible allergies . We have her on atopica which helps a lot. I'm trying to get her down to every other day, but it doesn't seem to be working. When I came home yesterday she scratched herself raw on her belly both sides. It’s very red and moist. She didn't want to walk or lay down because she was sore. I was able to wipe her down with cold water and apply Neosporin on the area. After that I covered the area with corn starch to dry it up and placed a t-shirt over top. I gave her the atopic right away. Is there anything else I can give or do to stop the pain?

We feed her blue buffalo grain free salmon. I was thinking about switching her to homemade food. I just read about a guy who had a lab who had very bad allergies he switched the dogs food to brown rice, vegetables (no corn), and can fish. He also wiped the dog down with 1/2 water 1/2 cider vinegar mix on her paws, ears, etc.. He never had to give the dog another allergy needle again. What do you think? Is this something I should try?

I like your idea of the home cooking and the vinegar rinse's . it's really worth the try, and I think your pretty sure you know what to do. Keep me posted on what you do and how she does. I had Griz full of allergy's last month, he scratched his face open and raw, his yeast was yucky and he was miserable. I switched everyone to raw that I grind in my own kitchen. I don't want to jinx anything but, he is so happy, lost a few pounds and the allergy's are literally gone.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.