Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Default Advice

Needing some advice. Bella's allergy issues are causing a great strain between me and the Mrs. After completing her couple weeks of meds to clear her yeasty paws and having great results, it has come roaring back. Her paws are so swollen that she has a hard time walking to her water and food bowls, to the point we have to bring them to her so she can eat.

My predicament is this; we cannot afford to bring Bella to the vet every couple of weeks when she runs outta meds and the yeast infection comes back, its too expensive for a household with only one working. I am needing a vet to work with me on this, a vet that will prescribe me meds with several refills so I don't have to bring her in every two weeks or waive the visit fee. Finding out what is causing Bella's allergies is a long term deal not a 2 week one.

In everyone's opinion, do you think I would be outta line to suggest this to her vet? My plan was to meet with her today and explain my situation and see if we could agree on a treatment plan that won't bankrupt me. Thoughts?

Wayne

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Advice

So sorry you are having such a rough time with your bullies health. Have you slow switched to a no grain food? Possibly one without chicken? Also tried the Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse and in her drinking water? I would also ask for a prescription from your vet and order the meds online they tend to be less expensive.
    Last edited by Ashleym; 03-05-2013 at 01:05 PM.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

so totally NOT out of line.... explain the situation and aks for some options as to not returning every 2 wks

Maybe this will help -- http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...With-Vet-Bills
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

What kind of food is Bella on? Is there anyway you can basically strip her diet and start from scratch to find out what is causing the allergies or has she been tested to determine the medication is necessary long term? If it is diet I would recommend home cooking food for her and see if that helps. Start with the basics such as some ground beef and boil it and add some vegetables (green beans and carrots are good starters). Toss an egg in it and keep the carbs somewhat low for starters because yeast builds off of carbs. I would start there and see if that helps along with communications with the vet. Good luck.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Dalmatina, We recently took her off of Nature's Variety Instinct raw (Chicken) about 5 days ago. We found a pet store right down the road from us that sells a large variety of dog foods so we and paid them a visit. The owner was awesome and really seems to know about the different foods and brands. After explaining the problem i'm having he's agreed to work with me until we find the food that works. He said if the food doesn't work, bring it back and he'll replace it at no cost for something else until we get it right. Totally awesome! He recommended Pure Vita Bison Entree, grain free and that's what we went with. A small bag of course. The hard part is we don't know if it's the food or something else causing the problem. Can't afford allergy testing at the moment due to our current financial status and i really can't afford the cooked dinner option. With this pet shop's help we're hoping to find the right food but we know it will take some time.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Great suggestions so far, I would definitely ask your vet if they can work something out. If they have an ounce of compassion they will work with you on it. Check out this thread you can try to help Bella's paws by doing this

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...or-yeasty-paws

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Also ask your vet if you can get a prescription for the meds to be filled at your pharmacy instead of buying from them directly, it will save you loads of $$$!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

im thinking this is a food issue and ive dealt with this with sarah forever. until you find out what is causing this no amount of vet meds will help as it will clear up but as soon as you finish the meds it will come right back. i would try the acv water as it helped sarah but question is will they drink it if not perhaps put it on the food as some have done. ive also started her on coq10 for her immune and zinc for her skin. perhaps start with the zinc as coq10 can be a bit pricey but she is doing really good on both. you can try to soak in some hibiclenz from the drug store. its a soap so you wash her paws with it and let sit and then rinse off. duoxo ps shampoo is awsome for this as you just put some in the bath water and let her soak or you can get a small plastic container and put some in it and her. the pure vita grain free is a great place to start as its single ingredient protein and very limited ingredients and they have 3 different flavors to choose from.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Cowsmom, Those are great suggestions but the problem I'm battling is Bella doesn't seem to be getting better. Right now I have her on Ketaconozol and Benadryl to help keep her comfortable.It takes some time for me to see results from the food if at all. Then its onto another type of food and start all over again. All the while Bella doesn't move, she sleeps all day. If I have her on a medication that helps i'll never figure out if the food's working. I'm to the point where I will have to eliminate meds, hand feed her, hopefully she'll let me near her paws to wash them or soak them and carry her outside to use the bathroom until it clears up. I'm at a total loss right now.

My wife has already made contact with someone who wants her and can afford to take care of her. This has royally pissed me off because i've always wanted an EB! Needless to say we haven't been saying nice things to each other today over this.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

In addition to all the advice given already, DO talk to your vet about your financial concerns and I would think they would be able to work something out with you. Have you applied or do you have Care Credit yet? Many on this board use that...you do payment plans, interest free, for a set amount of time.
    Good luck to you, my friend!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Absolutely..talk to your vet. Costco also gives discounts for pet prescriptions. @Libra926 can tell you about it. all of this is so very stressful, I'm sorry your family is having to deal with so much.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Wayne, I'm so sorry to hear that Bella's still having problems & this problem
    plus money woes is causing disruption in your household. Please...try not to let
    it no matter what it takes to fix it. As you may know, my husband died 6 months
    ago from a heart attack, he was 52. I told my son later that I regretted each &
    every fight we ever had and not one of them was worth it!

Your wife is not trying to take your dream from you, she's just trying to ease the
    pressure off of you...we were in financial woes many times & unemployment too.
    Do not let it come between you, stand strong together & be understanding & kind.

I just researched last night on yeast (thinking of you & Bella) and I will PM a web
    site that offers a Yeast Buster Kit for difficult cases. Prayers & love for you & yours!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads