Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Advice

@Wayne Sorensen I am sorry to hear about what you are going through, but I am so happy that you are HERE on EBN!!!

Let me tell you a quick story first .. I work for Rescue Ohio English Bulldogs, and about this time last year I had to go and pick up an owner surrender. His owners had been battling his yeast infections all his life, and had gone to a VERY well known bully vet in our area the whole time. The vet prescribed prednizone and other stuff and it would clear up, the meds would run out and he'd be back with the yeast again. Interdigital cysts on his feet that were so bad he could hardly walk, and yeast all over his belly, chin and back end. The husband lost his job. They had one option and they contacted us.

I went to pick him up and his yeast was so bad that you could smell him as soon as you walked in the room. They told me about the vet, and I was horrified that the vets only action had been to treat the symptoms and these people had not even been offered a blood test to see what allergies he actually had!

Long story short .... this was the VERY worst owner surrender I've ever done. Because if they had been given the right information instead of spending a fortune on steroids then they may have been in a financial situation to have kept him. It was the saddest day of my life in rescue and I drove away feeling guilty for taking him from them.

So some vets don't always give the best advice.

You mention chicken ............... that and grains seem to be the most common triggers for allergies in bulldogs. Just by cutting out chicken and grains you may already have your answer.

The other thing you mentioned is the cost ..... I switched to home cooked ... well at least I do 50% Fromm and 50% home cooked. In my first batch of home cooked I was unsure so just went along to walmart and bought the stuff I needed. My hubby was very disgruntled and went on and on about how this was going to be so expensive, much more than Fromm. So to shut him up I very methodically worked out the cost per cup of food for both Fromm and home cooked. Now, I had bought the home cooked ingredients from Walmart, so not the cheapest places I could have got them. The home cooked still worked out 10c cheaper per cup. I know I can cut my costs further by buying bigger amounts and getting stuff like my frozen veggie mix and the brown rice from other places. So if I can save 10c per cup now, I am confident that I can make bigger savings once I get into the "swing of things"!!!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Kazzy, thank you for sharing this information. Bella's issues have become such a challenge, I feel like we can't enjoy her as our pet because of this issue. I spoke with my vet yesterday, she's someone I've known for the last 19 years albeit on a friendship level and not my vet (we never needed a vet before). She has agreed to work with me to help figure this problem out to include discounted appts, prescriptions when needed, etc. This was a big relief obviously. She immediately prescribed me some meds Bella has done really well on (Prednisone, Cephalexin) a months supply. I desperately needed something for her to start her road to recovery possible, Bella could barely walk. After one dose I can see her improving already, she can walk, her eyes are goop free and her paw swelling has gone down.

Obviously I want to take her off the meds asap. I changed her food from Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Chicken to Pure Vita Bison Entree. She was on chicken for a while, hell we were even giving her boiled chicken breast pieces as a treat. After doing some research we found we were probably pumping her full of crap she's allergic too. So for the last week or two she's been chicken free. I am curious about this cooking method you do or have done. Can you tell me what your recipe is? I have found a dog food retailer in my area that will also work with me on the food, after we explained our situation he's agreed to take back any food that does not work and give us a refund. He even said he'd take an empty bag back if it would help us. Again, an awesome find on our end! We are trying as hard as possible to figure this out without allergy testing right now because I can't afford it at the moment.

Any advise you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pan Cake
    Likes (Received)

We battled allergies with Pan, so I know how aggravating it is.

Switch to a grain free food with limited ingredients, something that you haven't fed before, no chicken or potato.

Feed only that food for eight weeks. No treats or table scraps. If you want to give a treat just give a few pieces of kibble.

If you don't see an improvement try a different protein and starch for another eight weeks.

If you see an improvement try adding one more ingredient to see if there is a reaction. In another eight weeks try again.

You need to give their system time to expel the old food so you can get a true read on how they are reacting to the new - that's where the eight weeks come into play (along with a transition period while switching foods).

Milk bones and most store bought biscuits are made with crap ingredients and should be avoided - you're gonna spend a lot for a quality dog food to avoid those ingredients - why give it to them in another form...

We keep frozen veggies in the freezer - $1 for a bag of frozen beans = no costly trip to the vet.

This takes commitment from the entire family. No one can sneak treats, or let them have that goodie that fell to the floor when cooking/eating dinner. But it beats paying hundreds of dollars for an allergy test (which may or may not tell you what the problem is) or going to the vet all of the time...

Good luck!
    Last edited by PeterPanAndWendy; 03-07-2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: I wasn't finished...lol
    If you canít adopt Ė foster.
    If you canít foster Ė sponsor.
    If you canít sponsor Ė volunteer.
    If you canít volunteer Ė donate.
    If you canít donate Ė educate, network, and crosspost.
    EVERYONE can do something large or small, to help save a life.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Wayne, I'm so sorry you and your wife are going through this with Bella. I agree with all the excellent advice from everyone above. I can somewhat understand what you are going through as my female Blossom is also allergic to chicken, salmon, grains and corn. We switched foods 4 times before we found Fromms Beef Frittata, and she is doing great on this food. I also started home cooking half their meals. I give 1 cup of Fromms in the morning, and 1 cup of home cooked in the evening. Home cooked is not expensive at all. I use about 4 lbs of ground beef, 1 bag of mixed California frozen vegetable, green beans, and 2 cups of cooked rice. I brown the beef in water, add the veggies, and then the cooked rice, and divide it into 1 cup servings, I get 12 cups of food, and so this does my two for 6 days. I also give supplements which help such as apple cider vinegar in their drinking water, and plain unsweetened yogurt in their food once a day or every other day. You can get a lot of relief for her paws by mixing Apple cider vinegar with water and some Epsom salts, and soaking her paws, this will also kill the yeast naturally. Good luck in finding a food she can tolerate, and I'm glad your vet will work with you for a solution as well. Hang in there you'll find something that works for you soon. Sending hugs and prayers to you and Bella. Feel better soon Bella. Keep us posted on how she's doing.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Peter, thanks for the advice I will certainly accept it. With Bella she must have never been fed table food, she never takes interest in the family eating or the wife cooking, hell she doesn't even like to walk on the kitchen tile..lol. So she gets zero table food. She's a rescue we've only had for about 3 months. She and several others were used as breeding machines so i've been told. I have yet to even give her treats other than boiled chicken breast pieces and she hasn't had any of that in a few weeks. She really gets nothing other than her kibble.

Wayne

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Awesome advise Viking I plan to try your home cooked recipe starting this weekend in combination with her pure vita bison kibble. I do question the rice in your recipe, is this ok for my situation? I'm scared to death to use anything grain like. I would imagine 4lbs of ground beef and a bag of frozen vegetables is pretty inexpensive and it would last her a couple weeks as she eats 1 cup twice a day.

Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads