Help Needed! Help...possible hair loss?!?!?!

mommy2zeus

Mar 9, 2012
Northumberland, Pennsylvania, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I think my Zeus is losing his hair on the right side of his face and neck! It is so hard to really tell but the hair definitely looks thinner and patchy! I don't know if he lays on the side the most in his cage at night and when we are at work or if he has really bad dry skin and is scratching at it a lot. What can I do to help my little boy????? :scared:

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
This could be a number of things happening. does he smell like corn chips as some have said. that could be yeast infection, there is possibility of demodex which is something else. start with what you are feeding him. he could be allergic to something in it. Can you post a picture Zues skin/Fur?

OP
mommy2zeus

mommy2zeus

Mar 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I thought of the food allergy but he has been on the same food since we got him...the only difference is that he is now on the adult Blue Buffalo Wilderness food! I haven't noticed a smell, just that he smells stinky from not getting a bath in the past few weeks.

This is the best picture I could get of his neck! :-(

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 123

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I was just going to ask the same thing - please post a picture so we can start to help you narrow in

also, is he reacting to it? does he appear to be in any form of discomfort?

OP
mommy2zeus

mommy2zeus

Mar 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
He doesn't seem to be bothered by it, although I am not home all day to know if he scratches at it! I have been looking at shampoos for yeast infections so that is my first step to get my boy 100% healthy again!!!!! I am one worried bully mom!!!!!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if its just hair loss it could just be the food. can you put him back on whatever food he was eating before which im assuming was wilderness puppy. if the hair grows back you will know its the food. if it doesnt you can start looking at other causes. like mange or fleas or something else.

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
again, photos would really help -

my personal experience with hair loss with Bacon was due to stress - we had to board him (for the first time) while we were on vacation and shortly after coming back he started to lose hair on his back on spots (no redness)... our vet took a skin scrape and determined it was a staph infection... according to him, dogs carry staph all the time but when their immune system is compromised for any number of reasons, it will show up

to clear it up, we were prescribed a medicated shampoo and then eventually antibiotics

use of salmon oil and acv in his diet helped as well

Last edited:
OP
mommy2zeus

mommy2zeus

Mar 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
again, photos would really help -

my personal experience with hair loss with Bacon was due to stress - we had to board him (for the first time) while we were on vacation and shortly after coming back he started to lose hair on his back on spots (no redness)... our vet took a skin scrape and determined it was a staph infection... according to him, dogs carry staph all the time but when their immune system is compromised for any number of reasons, it will show up

to clear it up, we were prescribed a medicated shampoo and then eventually antibiotics

use of salmon oil and acv in his diet helped as well

It's funny that you bring up the stress thing bacause our neighbor was over about 2 weeks ago and was teasing Zeus with a lazer pointer and Zeus got this spot on his neck that started bleeding and then he got a nasty scab. That fell off the other day and is just now starting to heal and he is starting to get the hair back over the spot. It was only after that day that all this other hair loss started to catch my attention! Maybe is stress related!!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.