Help Needed! Food or Environmental Allergy?

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
Hi everyone. I'm in dneed of suggestions and advice from everyone. My bully is almost 6 yrs old and has suffered with allergies since he was 18 mths old. I've had him allergy tested in the past by skin scraping test and found that he is severely allergic to 3 types of grass, two types of trees, dust, and mold. I did the allergy shots for about 2 yrs but didn't find them to be very beneficial so we discontinued them. The vet prescribed hydroxzyine as an antihistamine to help with his itching which seems to help alot. However, it's now winter in NY state and most of those allergens are non existent and he is still being bothered by something. Most of his life he ate natural balance fish and sweet potato with which seemed to be fine. In October of this yr I moved into a new residence and it seems since then he has had terrible tear stains and his paws have also turned red from licking. His eyes are constantly tearing and have a red circle around each one as well, almost like a raccoon. I took him to the vet to make sure he didn't have an ulcer or that he hadn't scratched his cornea or that he wasn't in need of entropian surgery again. The vet said none of the above existed and that it appears to be allergy related. Since that time I have switched his water to all distilled water and recently switched his food to NVI LID turkey because I thought maybe too much sweet potato in the other food was causin tear stains. Still no luck. I've used duoxo pads and desitin on tear stains to no avail. The only thing that I can possibly think of is that where I used to live I had baseboard heat and now have forced air with heating ducts and was thinking it might be more dust coming out of heating ducts. before moving, he always suffered with allergies but never had tear stains or red paws. Does anyone know if symptoms for food allergies differ from symptoms if environmental allergies? My baby is all white and looks awful right now and it's driving me crazy because I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone help me with this one?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's always hard to find out what exactly they are allergic too. Most of the time it is food related. Tear stains can come from their water too but you have changed that and it didn't help, so it's either food or environment. I'd try an other food, maybe a grain free food like FROMM Beef Frittata, or Game bird and see if that helps. You may have to go through several different foods until you find the right one. Hope your baby gets better soon.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Does the new house have carpet? If so, maybe the cleaning agent that was used could be a cause. I'd suggest having them steam cleaned (like Stanley Steamer or rent you own steam machine), if you haven't since moving in. Some processes use chemicals to clean carpet and your baby may be sensitive to them. I hope your baby gets better soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
santinomom

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
I actually did have carpets steam cleaned right after I moved in and did think it might've been the cleaning solution too and thought again of switching to fromms beef frittata cuz so many people here have had such good luck but it doesn't make sense that he never had the stains before I moved so it wasn't his food initially I don't think.Thanks for the responses and well wishes! it means a lot :)

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I read here before that they also can develop an allergy to good over time. They may have always been fine and then for some reason they aren't anymore...but I actually am anticipating an increase in mack's allergies too when we move in a few weeks bc eight now we are woodfloors and the new house is carpeted...so let me know how it goes and know that I might be in the same boat

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.