Help Needed! Nail Question

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon has been breaking a lot of nails lately, we trim them on our own and they never get too long. He really doesn't walk on pavement a lot since we have a fenced in back yard. Is there any sort of supplement we could give him to make his nails stronger or does anyone have similar issues. The nails aren't bleeding they are just splitting and currently he has a slight limp because one of them is bothering him.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Do you think the nails are catching on things after the trim because the trim isn't clean? or perhaps this condition I copied for you from SLO site. They have a group on Yahoo

SLO is an autoimmune disease of dogs which can cause severe claw problems in otherwise apparently healthy dogs. It is characterised by the loss of claws from more than one paw - eventually all claws may be lost. Other symptoms may include: receding quicks, secondary infection (often with a strong smell), claw splitting (usually down the back of the claw), pain, distorted/twisted claws and lameness.

A firm diagnosis can only be reached by the biopsy of a claw, dewclaws usually being used for this. In the absence of an available dewclaw it is necessary to amputate a toe at its bottom joint in order to do the biopsy. In many cases, this is considered an extreme step to take, and is not strictly necessary. If the dog is showing signs of SLO, treatment using the latest protocols can be started - if they work, it largely confirms the diagnosis, even without the biopsy.
Modern treatments include the use of essential fatty acid (EFA) supplements, antibiotic treatment with tetracycline and niacinamide (nicotinamide). Removal of claws as they become loose can help to alleviate pain, but generally isn't necessary. Although there are few studies to scientifically confirm the results, the treatment appears to be effective. Once the disease is in remission, supplementation may need to be continued for life to prevent relapse.
SLO can appear in all breeds, including crossbreeds and mixed-breeds, although some breeds seem to be more susceptible than others. It is not infectious or contagious - other dogs which come into contact with it cannot contract it. It appears to be spontaneous, and there is no evidence of an hereditary factor - because of the absence of studies and the small number of known cases though, there is little proof of this other than anecdotal evidence.
It is likely that it is a newly-recognised old condition, rather than a new disease. It is probably more common than it appears, because in many cases it is not diagnosed correctly. In response to the lack of information available, a number of owners of dogs with this condition have gathered on the Internet to share information and support, and to discuss management and treatment protocols.
Owners of dogs with the condition, and anyone else who has an interest, can share support and information on the subject by joining the Canine Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy Mailing List, where they can discuss their problems with other owners, some of whom have been treating their dogs for many years.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Rook has been having the same issue, so I'll be interested if anyone has a supplement recommendation too.

We actually ended up at the vet yesterday because he caught his dew claw on the carpet running around, and the nail separated from the quick. The vet didn't mention SLO... I hope it was just some bad luck.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
The only thing I can think of is a vitamin deficiency (calcium maybe?). I have no idea what would cause nails to do that. Not much help here but I am very curious to see if others have experienced with their bullies or other dogs.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I don't have an answer either, as none of mine have had the problem. The only thing I can think of is either the dry weather you have up there or maybe the clippers are cracking them and maybe a dremel would help. Lisa may know as she is in a dry climate also.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No idea, do you use a dremel [MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION]? If not maybe smoothing them out will prevent cracking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
Baconator

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We use clippers that look like this, we tried a dremmel when he was a puppy and he totally freaked out

Capture.JPG

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We use clippers that look like this, we tried a dremmel when he was a puppy and he totally freaked out

View attachment 38386

Yeah they usually leave some peeling, well any cutters will. Especially since he is obviously particularly soft or brittle nailed I would dremmel them, for his own good.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
The only thing I can think of is a vitamin deficiency (calcium maybe?). I have no idea what would cause nails to do that. Not much help here but I am very curious to see if others have experienced with their bullies or other dogs.

I was thinking this too?? Mattie is starting to have the same issue. Very curious with the answer..

OP
Baconator

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] don't you guys use a specific model of dremmel for their nails? And do they have an attachment with a guard on it so you don't hit the quick?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We dont use clippers, just a dremel we have had for many years. Ours is 110v with speed adjustment (we run it on the slowest setting). I have seen 12v Dremels as well (I think Jeannie may have the 12v rechargeable. There is no special tool specific to nails. We use the 1/2" sanding drum.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We use a 10.8V cordless Dremel, with the 1/2" 80 grit wheel.

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Our issue with him is that he hates anything motorized... he will freak out and put up a major fight (believe me its not for lack of trying)

the clippers are the only thing he'll sit still for... he even hates them being filed by hand :pouting:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.