Help Needed! Lady Franny has a rash

kristinaphd

Jan 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Francis
Hi All,
I am new to this website, but wow what a wealth of knowledge on here! So I am here to pick your brains. I have a Bully girl who is 9 months old and within the last 3 months has developed a rash that is on the back of here neck, a spot on her foot, and a spot on her back. It stays pink in color, but she is now experiencing some hair loss in these areas. They don't seem to bother her much, I don't ever see her trying to get at them. I have a vet in town that we have used since I got her, and believe me we are frequent flyers as I am always worried about my little girl (Thank god for pet insurance!). The vet is younger and seems to be relatively inexperienced. She did a skin scraping 3 months ago, and stated that it is normal for dogs to have a certain amount of "skin mites" on there skin, but she thinks she may have more than normal. So she started her on "Ivermectin/Ivomec." Have any of you used this? My dog HATES IT!!! She runs from me every time I reach for that drawer. Then I have to chase her down and squirt this liquid in her mouth, at which point she starts coughing, and drooling excessively to get the horrible taste out of her mouth. I am pretty sure she ends up spitting a lot of it out. I have tried to give her treats directly after, but she will have none of it! I tried mixing it in yogurt, icecream, and even frosting (I know last ditch effort) She smells it and knows instantly its there and wont touch it. So I took her back to the vet and yes rash is still there 3 weeks later. I tell the vet she will not take this, she says well she has to. Ok so we give it another go, 3 more weeks of torturing my sweet girl, and still rash is still there. We take her back and vet says "well keep giving it to her." :bitching:
Ok well thats all fine and great but its obviously not working and it may be because she spits it out, I am really not sure. I am not convinced this is the real issue. Should I get a second opinion? Do you think it could be the food? (She eats Taste of the Wild-Grain free food). I just dont know what to do, but I dont want to give her that horrible medication anymore.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Hi [MENTION=7916]kristinaphd[/MENTION] and :smileywelcome: to EBN I am sure there will be some people who will respond with more knowledge than I but first question is what type of protein TOTW is your pup on? Bullies tend to have a lot of allergies especially poultry and food is a big factor could be a yeast infection. Also you might want to get a medicated shampoos such as Duoxo Shampoo http://www.amazon.com/Douxo-Chlorhe...?ie=UTF8&qid=1362349940&sr=8-2&keywords=duoxo. Depending on where you live get a second opinion from a Vet familiar with the bully breed. Here is a link to a list of vets Veterinarian Recommendations. It is normal for puppies to have mites and a condition call demodetic mange to occur I believe this can be controlled by diet and medicated shampoo. Good luck and keep us updated on your pups condition and POST lots of PICTURES :D

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site, and sorry your bully is having problems. A pic would help to maybe see what it is, and I think I'd look for another vet, maybe one who is familiar with bullies.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
She certainly seems very inexperienced. You may want to search the site for mange, There are many other treatment options besides ivermectin. I have never had a case of mange so I don't have first-hand experience, but there are lots and lots of topics here on the forum regarding this.

Welcome to the forum, I sure hope we can help your baby get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=7916]kristinaphd[/MENTION] :smileywelcome: to EBN you have come to a very good place when it comes to our bulldogs. It would be very helpful if you could post a picture, in the meantime I will pm you a site to check out

OP
K

kristinaphd

Jan 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Francis
Thanks for the information. I will post pics when I get home today. After looking at the website that you emailed it really looks a lot like "Allergic Dermatitis" and nothing like Mange at all. I believe you are correct in that I need a new Vet. I will check out those websites and pick one more appropriate. In the meantime I will defintely be trying the shampoo that is recommended, I did not consider that this may be causing it. I am using Venison TOTW, I have tried other kinds but tends cause oh so much gas! Great recommendations. Thanks!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Hmm sounds like what Otis has and he was diagnosed with mange last week - we too are doing the ivermectin - my husband gets out the broccoli and feeds, feeds, feeds and then wham, pops t eh syringe in his mouth while he's chewing on a piece of broccoli - Otis hates it - it's a two person job to give the meds. He usually spits out the broccoli thats in his mouth at the time (which holds alot of the medicane) we then give him fresh broccoli and after a few bites give him back the one with medicine on it.

Today will be day 7 just hoping our luck continues with him taking it as good as he has. The red spot on his shoulder is now gone, hoping his hair grows back.

Good luck! Let me know if you get a second opinion.

OP
K

kristinaphd

Jan 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Francis
I am attempting to post a picture of Frannys neck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 125
OP
K

kristinaphd

Jan 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Francis
Another picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 123
OP
K

kristinaphd

Jan 21, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Francis
Hope these pictures help. They have stayed the same since the start of Ivermectin.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is Lady Franny doing?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.