General Question What are you using for Heartworm and Flea control

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Pickle had her vet visit and she was given Advantage 2 for flea control and Iverhart Max for Heartworm control. She just got her third round of vaccines today so I wanted to wait a week to start her on the other meds.

I was just wondering what others use for Flea and Heartworm control? And do the oral flea control work as good or better than the topical? Has anyone experienced any bad side effects?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
We use Heartguard for heartworms and nothing for fleas. We don't have them where I live and if we do, it's rare to my knowledge.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I use Heartguard for heartworm and a topical for fleas, Adams it's a Walmart brand. my bully's haven't ever had fleas. knock wood

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We use Revolution for our two. It is a topical liquid that is placed between their shoulder blades once a month from April to Oct. It covers both fleas and heartworm, we got the puppies last May at 10 weeks old, and they started the treatment then, and finished in Oct. It was their first time with this treatment, but they were fine with it, and didn't have any reactions to it.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
We use Iverhart Plus for heartworm and just put apple cider vinegar in their food to keep away the fleas. It's supposed to make their skin acidic which fleas are not supposed to like. We haven't had a flea problem in the 2 years we've been using it. I try to use as few chemicals on them as possible.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We use Sentinel for hearthorms and fleas, but right now you can not get it, so we use Heartguard, but it does not work for fleas. We are hoping Sentinel comes back soon before they get fleas.

OP
xsubsailor

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
We use Iverhart Plus for heartworm and just put apple cider vinegar in their food to keep away the fleas. It's supposed to make their skin acidic which fleas are not supposed to like. We haven't had a flea problem in the 2 years we've been using it. I try to use as few chemicals on them as possible.

I really like the idea of not adding to many chemicals to her, I may try this.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
We use Heartgard (just regular, not the Plus)and nothing for fleas. We use to give Interceptor (which is the same makers of Sentinel (Novartis)) since they stopped production we had to find something else. I have to say, I was hesitant on switching, but since the switch I have found its soooo much easier giving them the heartgard b/c they actually think its a treat. The interceptor was a chewable but it was very much like a pill and the heartgard is "squishier".

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace has had one heartworm and flea treatment and it was trifexis but after hearing so many horror stories I think I want to try something different next treatment which is scheduled for this month. But I don't know which one to ask for that treats for both in one pill. Where I live here in North Florida you are wise to treat for both or you are taking a big gamble. Back in the early days [early 70's] of heartworm prevention my vet at that time did not try to persuade me to treat my dog with it. He offered it but it was expensive then and relatively uncertain or so I recall. Either way he didn't push it so I didn't treat my dog back then. I lost my American Staffordshire Terrier back then due to heartworms. It was a horrible experience. Brutus was onlly 4 years old when he became infected

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I live in Lake City Florida and the name is pretty suggestive. There are several rivers, numerous lakes and swamps and we can get lots of rain. The mosquitos can be practically overwhelming at times and in certain places here

D

DaisyBulldog

Nothing for either. They are both poisons for the dogs as well as the insects.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
We use revolution for heart worm and frontline plus for fleas/ticks. Technically chunk gets a double dose of flea repellant since both are flea treatments. Problem is that ticks are insane where I live (my brother has Lyme disease along with many people I know) and I have woods behind my house so we are even more prone. Hate giving him so much but would hate the pain of heartworm or Lyme more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we use advantix multi only from spring to the first frost.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online