URGENT!!! HELP!!! Fleas Wont Leave My English Bulldog Alone

OP
KimboAndSean

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
thank you so much for all the info. i do everything in my power to make sure he is ok during the hotter days, and when my sister can, she takes him to her house indoors. i worry about him all the time and it drives me nuts at times. and also i am really hesitant to use chemicals on my dog, but if you guys say it works, i will give it a shot. also is the pesticide harmful to english bulldogs?

Well..we also live in California and have battled fleas in the past. You have to treat his total Enviroment. And you will have to do it a few times before you will get ahead of the hatching fleas. As the temps heat up..this problem will get worse too! We had an exterminator tell us years go that fleas can lie in the dirt for months and wait for a wam bodied being to latch onto!
We found a good exterminator and had him nuke our yard. They will usually guarantee their product and will come back if needed. Its not cheap tho! My husband did get a sprayer and now at the first sign of a flea, he will spray our yard himself with pesticide from the garden store. But you will need something much stronger initially. You would have to remove everything of his and even though they say it's safe after an hour or so..we kept ours off for a day. All his bedding and him will need to be bathed and washed. All this will need to be repeated every 10 days until you feel flea free. I, also hate using the poisons on my critters, but we do use Revolution from April to October. We have ticks too and I've pulled a couple of those off of Jake.
I feel your pain, there isn't an easy answer but I'm sure you can get on top of it.

On a side note, I too am concerned about Kimbo being outside with the warm months coming. Even 70 degree weather can be dangerous and it's a real worry for Bully owners. It certainly sounds like you do the very best you can and he is much loved, just wanted you to be aware of something tht scares the daylights out of us.

Welcome and glad you found us.:)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Check your Private Messages. I am going to PM you the website addy for buying food grade diatomaceous earth in bulk.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
thank you so much for all the info. i do everything in my power to make sure he is ok during the hotter days, and when my sister can, she takes him to her house indoors. i worry about him all the time and it drives me nuts at times. and also i am really hesitant to use chemicals on my dog, but if you guys say it works, i will give it a shot. also is the pesticide harmful to english bulldogs?

Check your Private Messages. I am going to PM you the website addy for buying food grade diatomaceous earth in bulk.

I definitely think its worth a try to see how this Diatomaceous earth works. Do it early..the true flea season is just a couple weeks away!

And if you use ANY pesticide you must remove everything that will come in contact with your Bully. And keep him off as long as you can..at least 8 hours. I don't trust what the warnings are from the mfg. they usually say less than an hour..but I would go the longest you can!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
It sounds like he is lucky to have you. ;) wish everyone loved their babies as much!

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive in products including toothpaste, mechanical insecticide, absorbent for liquids, matting agent for coatings, reinforcing filler in plastics and rubber, anti-block in plastic films, porous support for chemical catalysts, cat litter, activator in blood clotting studies, a stabilizing component of dynamite, and a thermal insulator.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I spray my yard with a liquid solution for bugs to make sure it is a bug free zone and Amber won't get into anything. I also use lavender oil in her bath water; it repels fleas and ticks and is natural and safe. Besides her bully washes with lemon juice, Amber smells great from the lavender additives added to her bath water plus she is bug free without worrying about her skin absorbing anything. I have been using lavender oil in my pets baths for years. You can buy it in any all natural store or anywhere aroma therapy items are sold. I would still recommend getting the yard treated or getting a solution for a hose end sprayer and doing it yourselve. Good luck.

OP
KimboAndSean

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
where can i get the lavender from??

I spray my yard with a liquid solution for bugs to make sure it is a bug free zone and Amber won't get into anything. I also use lavender oil in her bath water; it repels fleas and ticks and is natural and safe. Besides her bully washes with lemon juice, Amber smells great from the lavender additives added to her bath water plus she is bug free without worrying about her skin absorbing anything. I have been using lavender oil in my pets baths for years. You can buy it in any all natural store or anywhere aroma therapy items are sold. I would still recommend getting the yard treated or getting a solution for a hose end sprayer and doing it yourselve. Good luck.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Any of the aroma therapy stores carry lavender oil and lavender essence. You can buy lavender plants at Wal-mart, Lowes, or Home Depot for around 3-6 dollars and plant them in your yard. Once the plant starts growing it gets tall and you can cut some off, boil it and spray that on your yard. I use the water for Ambers bath as well as spraying it on the yard. Some of the fresh markets have lavender to buy already cut too. During off season I go to the aroma therapy stores and buy the lavender oil and essence which will work just as good. Good luck.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.