URGENT!!! HELP!!! Fleas Wont Leave My English Bulldog Alone

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
i am a first time english bulldog owner. his name is Kimbo, and he just turned 2 years old on the 14th of Feb.

my question is...

HOW DO I KEEP FLEAS OFF OF HIM?

i have tried several different over the counter and also vet recommendations but nothing seems to help. they go away for a good 2 weeks but than they are back on him!
is there any home remedies i can try?
i heard garlic works but that garlic can kill your dog

the reason i ask is because in the current living situation that i am in, i cannot have him indoors with me (which completely drives me insane) but i do have a huge crate for him that he sleeps in at night that is indoors. BUT he is mostly outside a good part of the day, he has a HUGE yard to run and play around with, a Mansion of a dog house, several temperpudic dog beds and other fluffy pillows that he loves to lay on, he has 2 kiddie pools and A LOT of shade. he is indoors with me at night though.

i love him to death!!!!

i just want to get rid of the fleas.....is there any thing i can spray in the yard as well and on his pillows that will not harm him?

please let me know asap

thank you to everyone so much for any info

(The Picture Is Of My English Bulldog Kimbo)

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Hi it could end up being quite expensive as fleas reproduce so quickly.
You need to get a good vet recommended flea treatment for your bully
You also need your house completely fumigated (especially the room his crate is in) as eggs and fleas get everywhere. Over counter stuff doesnt work you need to call in pest control to have this done properly. All over the house will need to be done even though your dog doesnt go everywhere because fleas will cling to human clothes etc to move around.

Also for the garden you will need to pest control everywhere out there too but im not sure if your pest control will have the products or mot you may have to google good products for the garden. Maybe ul find some on ebay or something?

Then you need to buy flea shampoo to help keep them off your dog and flea repellent to use around the house/garden to try to prevent it happening again. A long and costy process but its worth it so that your baby doesnt eat any fleas/eggs and then develop worms etc. Also if he keeps biting and scratchin can get soars and infections and become irritated and depressed.

Hopefully somebody will be along soon near to your area that can help/recommend specific products as im from UK and they dont sell the same things . Good luck x

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Try food grade diatomaceous earth on his beads and outside on the ground. It is water soluble thou, so you have to re-apply after it rains or if you water

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I had a many years ago a infestation of fleas. I found an all natural microganizm that you hook up to the hose and water the lawn, It eats and attacks the fleas eggs. Flea will eggs will hatch every 7-10 days. fumigate in the house. dip the dog and apply a monthly regimen of flea preventive oil between shoulder blade or down back. There's many varitey's out there. do a little checking and you should come up with something to suit your lifestyle. I would def. start with the yard and the living nemotoads . check out fleabuster.com

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Try food grade diatomaceous earth on his beads and outside on the ground. It is water soluble thou, so you have to re-apply after it rains or if you water

Feed him the diatomaceous earth daily and also get a broadcast spreader and distribute it around the yard to kill the fleas on the property. We give HRH diatomaceous earth with her breakfast every morning, because it has lots of other health benefits besides keeping fleas at bay. It's supposed to be good for humans too, but while I have tried it, I just can't get in the habit of taking it daily.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All great advice above. We use Revolution from the vet from April to October. It's applied between the shoulder blades once a month.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Just wanted to mention over heating. I don't know where in cali you r but bullies can over heat if left out on a warm day pretty quickly. Have seen it at the vets even and temps were only low 80s if that. Just wanted to let you know, in case you didn't already. ;) would love to see pics of your baby!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Slice a lemon a thin as you can, add it to a 2 cups of boiling water. Cover and let it sit over night. In the morning take the lemon out, pour it in a spray bottle and spritz him (and the bedding) every couple of days.

You will need to give him a good bath and combing to get rid of the existing fleas and eggs and treat outside. But this is a really good all natural preventative.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..we also live in California and have battled fleas in the past. You have to treat his total Enviroment. And you will have to do it a few times before you will get ahead of the hatching fleas. As the temps heat up..this problem will get worse too! We had an exterminator tell us years go that fleas can lie in the dirt for months and wait for a wam bodied being to latch onto!
We found a good exterminator and had him nuke our yard. They will usually guarantee their product and will come back if needed. Its not cheap tho! My husband did get a sprayer and now at the first sign of a flea, he will spray our yard himself with pesticide from the garden store. But you will need something much stronger initially. You would have to remove everything of his and even though they say it's safe after an hour or so..we kept ours off for a day. All his bedding and him will need to be bathed and washed. All this will need to be repeated every 10 days until you feel flea free. I, also hate using the poisons on my critters, but we do use Revolution from April to October. We have ticks too and I've pulled a couple of those off of Jake.
I feel your pain, there isn't an easy answer but I'm sure you can get on top of it.

On a side note, I too am concerned about Kimbo being outside with the warm months coming. Even 70 degree weather can be dangerous and it's a real worry for Bully owners. It certainly sounds like you do the very best you can and he is much loved, just wanted you to be aware of something tht scares the daylights out of us.

Welcome and glad you found us.:)

OP
KimboAndSean

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
thank you so much, i will definitely check out some flea repellent stuff....

Hi it could end up being quite expensive as fleas reproduce so quickly.
You need to get a good vet recommended flea treatment for your bully
You also need your house completely fumigated (especially the room his crate is in) as eggs and fleas get everywhere. Over counter stuff doesnt work you need to call in pest control to have this done properly. All over the house will need to be done even though your dog doesnt go everywhere because fleas will cling to human clothes etc to move around.

Also for the garden you will need to pest control everywhere out there too but im not sure if your pest control will have the products or mot you may have to google good products for the garden. Maybe ul find some on ebay or something?

Then you need to buy flea shampoo to help keep them off your dog and flea repellent to use around the house/garden to try to prevent it happening again. A long and costy process but its worth it so that your baby doesnt eat any fleas/eggs and then develop worms etc. Also if he keeps biting and scratchin can get soars and infections and become irritated and depressed.

Hopefully somebody will be along soon near to your area that can help/recommend specific products as im from UK and they dont sell the same things . Good luck x

OP
KimboAndSean

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
so it is called Diatomaceous? what exactly does it do if you dont mind me asking?

OP
KimboAndSean

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
what is the natural microorganism called?? i will definitely check out the website...

I had a many years ago a infestation of fleas. I found an all natural microganizm that you hook up to the hose and water the lawn, It eats and attacks the fleas eggs. Flea will eggs will hatch every 7-10 days. fumigate in the house. dip the dog and apply a monthly regimen of flea preventive oil between shoulder blade or down back. There's many varitey's out there. do a little checking and you should come up with something to suit your lifestyle. I would def. start with the yard and the living nemotoads . check out fleabuster.com

OP
KimboAndSean

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
would you happen to have a link or the products name so i can get it and look it up?

Feed him the diatomaceous earth daily and also get a broadcast spreader and distribute it around the yard to kill the fleas on the property. We give HRH diatomaceous earth with her breakfast every morning, because it has lots of other health benefits besides keeping fleas at bay. It's supposed to be good for humans too, but while I have tried it, I just can't get in the habit of taking it daily.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.