Help Needed! Ketaconozol

Wayne Sorensen

Jan 18, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I know I asked this before but I didn't get any responses. I figure I'd ask again. Has anyone been prescribed this for their bully for yeast infection? The vet prescribed it to me but I held off on getting it filled because another vet prescribed Bella a anti inflammatory (Prednisone) and a antibiotic (Cephlexon) (Sp?). She did awesome on both of those and everything was looking up then, the meds ran out. When that happened her yeast came storming back and her paws are swollen, raw and a mess. A couple days ago I filled the prescription and started her on the Ketaconozol tabs (200mg 2x a day). This yeast thing is absolutely driving me insane! It's like raising a baby all over again. Not what I expected when I adopted Bella.

Gonna pick up some different food tomorrow...leaning towards Fromms Frita, something other than chicken or duck. I think chicken in her current food, Natures Variety Instinct raw, is the culprit.

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone in advance

Wayne

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes that is a fungus killer (yeast), the problem with antibiotics is they will help cure loads of stuff, including skin issues. But.... It also kills good bacteria. The good bacteria that helps ward off yeast.

Definitely use your script, and I would also suggest a bit of yogurt each day and a supplement like hardy pet or Nuvet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't have any experience with yeast problems, but I do with chicken allergies with my female Blossom, and I switched her to Fromms Beef Frittata when she was 7 mos old, she has been on this food for 5 months, and is doing really well, no allergies, rashes or pinkness. A lot of bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken , so that may be the cause of her yeast, it's worth a try, and it's an excellent a food. Good luck, I hope you find a solution. And I hope Bella feels better soon, you can also try plain unsweetened yogurt in her food, a Tbsp or two in her food everyday, it boosts the immune system and aids in digestion, I also put a Tbsp of Apple cider vinegar in the drinking water everyday, it also boosts the immune system, kills bad bacteria in the body, is great for inflammation, and helps with bad breath. There are a lot of natural supplements that are good for people, that are also good for dogs

OP
Wayne Sorensen

Wayne Sorensen

Jan 18, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks Viking...I started the ACV thing and have done the yogurt thing but stopped thinking she might be allergic to it but after 3 weeks off of it and no change i'm going back to it.

Thanks

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It's more likely the chicken in her food causing the allergy reactions, and not the yogurt not the ACV. Try a different food, and wait a good 3 weeks to a month to see the difference, as it takes this long for the old food to completely leave their system. Good luck and keep us posted on how she does.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I know I asked this before but I didn't get any responses. I figure I'd ask again. Has anyone been prescribed this for their bully for yeast infection? The vet prescribed it to me but I held off on getting it filled because another vet prescribed Bella a anti inflammatory (Prednisone) and a antibiotic (Cephlexon) (Sp?). She did awesome on both of those and everything was looking up then, the meds ran out. When that happened her yeast came storming back and her paws are swollen, raw and a mess. A couple days ago I filled the prescription and started her on the Ketaconozol tabs (200mg 2x a day). This yeast thing is absolutely driving me insane! It's like raising a baby all over again. Not what I expected when I adopted Bella.

Gonna pick up some different food tomorrow...leaning towards Fromms Frita, something other than chicken or duck. I think chicken in her current food, Natures Variety Instinct raw, is the culprit. Thoughts? Thanks everyone in advance. Wayne

Sorry for no responses, Wayne, you must have caught us on hiatus! I know every time I have to take
antibiotic I get a script for anti-yeast meds or else I get one. Bella must be sensitive to yeast, it is hard
to kill but not impossible, it hides in the fissures of the gut. Keep her on ACV daily, plain, unsweetened
yogurt and changing to Fromm's Beef Fritta is a great idea. I'll research more on yeast control for you.

L

Lucy-licious

Gonna pick up some different food tomorrow...leaning towards Fromms Frita, something other than chicken or duck. I think chicken in her current food, Natures Variety Instinct raw, is the culprit.

Thoughts?

Wayne

i remember this question last time and sorry..I'm sure I answered.

I gave Lucy ketakonazole for a nasty yeast infection she had, I had a 2 week course and could see the difference very quickly. It worked on her infection, and got rid if her tear stains and everything all in one swoop. 2 years later and because if our food change to a chicken and grain free food she has not had any yeast problem again :2thumbs: it's a good med and safe to use.

Are you swapping to Beef Fritata? A few members use that and have good things to say about it. Its frain free too so a good choice x

Last edited:

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
I will say ketocanazole works wonders for me with yeast infections. I always keep it on hand for any future flare ups. Something else is causing the yeast. I also believe its allergy related.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
It's like raising a baby all over again. Not what I expected when I adopted Bella.

Wayne

that is exactly what my breeder told me to expect with having bully :)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed.... a new food is in order.

I have no experience with the ketaconozol..... but Banks suffs with yeast too. I have to clean her paws whenever she comes in from outside due to her grass/trees/weed allergies.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I'm sorry but I don't have any experience with Ketaconozol. I do however have some experience with yeast issues. Fromm is an AWESOME food but in my experience with yeast issues, it's best to go potato free and for Samson the Natures Variety Instinct salmon was the answer.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.