General Question What to expect after surgery?

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Ok so Tubby goes in tomorrow for cherry eye surgery, to fix his umbilical hernia and he's going to be neutered.

What can I expect from him tomorrow? Is there anything I should do to prepare for his home coming? My little man is 4 months old so he is teething like crazy! Will he want to have his chew toys around or should I restrict him to just sleep and relaxation only?

Also any tips on how I can relax because I am already a ball of nerves.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I JUST went through this with Bogey last week! He is 41/2 months. Same exact scenario minus the cherry eye but he did have an eye infection we were dealing with at the same time! Anyway: if you are taking him home the same day, expect a very groggy puppy. My vet put a god-awful cone on his head that I took off 30 seconds after we got home! It made him sooooo restless and all he did was try to get it off, so I decided to take my chances that he would leave his belly alone, which he did ! He had staples in his belly from the hernia and dissolvable sutures for the neutering. They sent him home on pain med ( Rimadyl) and antibiotics . We picked him up at 5 pm and he was really lethargic, but awake. Once we got the cone off, he just went to sleep. I woke him at 7 pm to give him a little food- I went bland for him- I prepared boiled hamburger and rice. I only gave him a little to make sure he was going to keep it down. He got some dry heaves later on but did not vomit anything up, so I gave him a little more. He pooped and peed and I put him in his crate for the night. We slept in the living room with him just in case he woke up, but he slept right through. The next day, he was bouncing around like he had nothing done which freaked me out! He also was the SPAWN OF SATAN that day! NASTY, nipping,in to everything and would not follow ANY commands. I chalked it up to the anesthesia and possibly discomfort. It was a. LONG day! The next day he was pretty much back to his sweet temperment.
he will have his staples out this Friday. He has been running, jumping, rolling, and just impossible to keep down, so I have given up. If the staples were going to pop, they would have by now! Not sure what to expect with the cherry eye, biput someone will be along with some advice! Good luck! You'll be glad you did this in the long run!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
WOW, pretty young to be neutered, but the main thing is just keep him as calm as you can for about a week or so. He will not want to do much the first day, but after that he will be back to his old self and wanting to play and run and jump. So keeping him quiet will be a challenge. It's OK to play a little, just don't over do it and don't let him jump. Some vets will want to put a cone on him, but we have never used them and our vet has never given us one either, so to make him more comfortable I wouldn't use it, even with the eye surgery. The cherry eye surgery should go fine also and usually just have to put some meds in his eye for awhile. The hernia is no big deal either, just keep the area clean. That's about it. Keep us posted on how he is doing.

lovemybullys

Sep 24, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
samson. and ares
I actually just got my Samson back yesterday from his neuter umbilical hernia an cherry eye in both eyes ares also went in for entropion an a neuter an both got chips the doc gave me some pain meds an drops an cream for both of there eyes I'm at work so I don't recall what it was called but the first day they where home they where pretty restless an real grogy I only fed them about a 1/4 cup of food an they did ok with that I have to agree with merr55 they where hell on wheels the next day an after that they where fine but I left the cone on as far as prep to bring them home all I did was the normal stuff nothing special except I got one of those plug in calming things an that seemed to help them relax when they where acting like turds

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Thank you all for the heads up on the day after behaviour lol I work during the day so that will be daddy's problem!!

I was spectical about using the cone as I can't imagine that being comfortable for him so I will try to keep it off of him unless he starts going after his belly or eye.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Good luck with Tubby tomorrow. We're also having surgery on Mabel in the morning. I understand your nerves. I'm feeling them too! I'll be thinking about you all!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.