Help Needed! Any experience with seborrhea?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson has a reoccuring rash that looks like seborrhea, it's not a conditon unique to bulldogs so I would be interested in what anyone's experience with it was with any dog. We are going to the vet today to have this rash looked at and I'll see what he says about it. It's dry flaky patches with some red bumps in the bad spots all over Sam's inner legs and belly and some small random patches on the rest of his body which is how seborrhea is described. It's said to be triggered by a variety of possible issues such as allergies which I am sure is the case with Samson if it is seborrhea. When it's come up before I didn't do any research I just took him to the vet and their answer is always a steriod shot and antibiotics which helps clear is up but it's come back twice now and I don't want to keep pumping him with steriods and antibiotics so I am looking into other options. Seems like he's getting more sensitive with age (he'll be 7 next month) and we've been having more issues lately than we did in the past :(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I don't have an experience with seborrhea, but hope the vet can figure it out. Just wonder if there is something that he is allergic too, maybe something out side out?

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Yup :( in the last several months it feels like it's been one thing after another, intestinal bug, ear infection & 2 skin infections :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Skin infection, we got antibiotics & a medicated shampoo

HHmmm... sounded a lot like a staph infection too... wonder if it is similar. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] -- what are your thoughts?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
copy'd this from a site I go to for skin issues sometimes. I don't personally have experience with the condition. But I'm thinking if you add a Probiotic to his diet it may make a difference. I will pm you a site I but my stuff from. It's doesn't hurt to look what they have to offer, I get my joint meds and Enzymes and Probiotics from them. A little goes a long way. Check it out. and good luck. I'd like to see pictures of him if you don't mind. Very curious .

[h=2]Canine Seborrhea[/h]
Seborrhea is a skin condition in dogs that causes flaky skin (dandruff) and greasiness of the skin and hair. This disorder is very common and can lead to a secondary infection of the skin. Often, dogs will smell bad due to the buildup of oil on the skin and hair.

[h=3]Symptoms and Types[/h]
There are two common forms of seborrhea: oily (oleosa) and dry (sicca). The majority of animals will have a combination of both oily and dry seborrhea.

Seborrhea causes the skin to exude a waxy, greasy substance that clumps up in the ears, under the belly and armpits, elbows, and around the ankles. The substance is very fatty in nature and it will cause a distinctive odor. Dogs may scratch at the affected areas leading to bleeding, crusting, hair loss, and secondary infections due to skin damage.

[h=3]Causes[/h]
Dogs with this inherited disorder are affected with either the idiopathic or primary form of the seborrhea disease. It usually afflicts the animal before he/she reaches two years of age and progresses as he/she gets older. The breeds most commonly afflicted with inherited seborrhea include:

• [*=left]West Highland White Terriers
    [*=left]American Cocker Spaniels
    [*=left]English Springer Spaniels
    [*=left]Basset Hounds
    [*=left]Dachshunds
    [*=left]Labrador Retrievers
    [*=left]Golden Retrievers
    [*=left]German Shepherds
    [*=left]Dobermans
    [*=left]Shar-Peis

In other animals, the condition is secondary to another disease process. Primary conditions/diseases that can lead to the onset of seborrhea include:

• [*=left]Allergies
    [*=left]Endocrine disorders
    [*=left]Dietary deficiencies
    [*=left]Malabsorption disorders
    [*=left]Parasites
    [*=left]Autoimmune disorders

[h=3]Diagnosis[/h]
Some of the tests your veterinarian will run will rule out primary causes of skin disease. This may include a thorough physical examination; skin scrapings for parasites; fungal and bacterial cultures of the skin and hair; a fecal examination; and blood tests (CBC, chemistry panel) to rule out allergies, endocrine diseases, and dietary/digestive disorders. Sometimes a biopsy of the skin may be necessary. A diagnosis of primary (inherited) seborrhea is made only once all other causes have been ruled out.

[h=3]Treatment[/h]
As it is not possible to cure idiopathic seborrhea, treatment will mainly focus on controlling the condition. This may include using a combination of shampoos and conditioners to keep the skin clean and to soothe the animal. Common preparations of shampoos include sulfur, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and coal tar (such as seen in human acne and dandruff medications). Your veterinarian will let you know which combination and frequency of bathing best works for your pet’s condition.

Fatty acids and vitamin/mineral supplements may help in cases of a deficiency or a condition that responds to certain vitamins and minerals in the diet. If your dog contracts a secondary infection, other therapies such as antibiotics (oral and topical), antifungals, and sometimes allergy medications may be necessary.

[h=3]Living and Management[/h]
Nutrition is vital part of managing seborrhea. Consult with your veterinarian for an appropriate dietary and supplement regimen for your dog. In addition, keep your pet clean and well hydrated. This will help control the condition and reduce the chances that a secondary infections develop. Lastly, schedule regular follow-up exams with your veterinarian to monitor the dog's skin condition.

• [*=left]

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Thank you Sherry! Here are some pictures, poor guy is on "display" in these pictures but the rash is really concentrated on his inner thighs. It's not terribly easy to see in the last picture but hopefully you can see that his chest is pretty clear. Oh and these pictures were taken after his medicated bath which took off alot of the flakyness but in the close ups you can still kind of see it, it was alot more flaky and scaly before.

2013-02-25_20-08-47_553.jpg

2013-02-25_20-08-35_597.jpg

2013-02-25_20-08-58_427.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.