Help Needed! rash on chin

frannygirl2010

Sep 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy(male)
My 7 month male old English Bulldog has developed a bumpy rash under his chin. Sorta like tiny dimples. Sometimes they almost seem like little zits.Yesterday we were playing tug and i the rope rubbed against his chin and it bled a little . Not sure if i try something over the counter( since bullys are so sensitive) or wait for the vet... Is this common?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My 7 month male old English Bulldog has developed a bumpy rash under his chin. Sorta like tiny dimples. Sometimes they almost seem like little zits.Yesterday we were playing tug and i the rope rubbed against his chin and it bled a little . Not sure if i try something over the counter( since bullys are so sensitive) or wait for the vet... Is this common?

very common. like acne , try to keep the chin dry after drinking. If you think about how a bulldog is built, everything thing they do, taste, sniff, drink , the first thing that generally touches is the chin. like a bumper. try to keep it clean and dry, most times they grow out of it. No vet necessary you can relax :2thumbs:

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston has this/acne too. I am having a hard time getting rid of it. I have been regularly cleaning all toys a few times a week, wiping his face after drinking, cleaning it after eating and treating it with polysporin at night. It has been helping a little bit but I would also like to know what has worked for others.

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I know waiting for them to grow out of it can be a test in patience... for me it was having to keep a sharp watch when one broke open, otherwise I'd have bully blood on my couches, bedding, or curtains!!!!

Duoxo pads helped keep it at a minimum - they are usually the cheepest to purchase on-line (like amazon)
Stainless steel feeding and drinking bowls - no plastic

With Bacon I found that it cleared up after we got him fixed but he will have an outbreak from time to time if we have a lot of hard playtime on the downstairs carpet

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I also use witch hazel pads once a day and a duoxo pad once a week. Wipe after he drinks water with paper towel and wipe with non scented baby wipes after he comes in from the backyard he tends to mush his face in everything :rolleyes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has you covered with great advice.... keep us posted on how it goes

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Great advice above :2thumbs:, another thing to consider..What kind of bowls do you use??? Most of us and our bullys are allergic to plastic bowls and it can cause chin break out. Most of us use stainless steal bowls, and wash after each feeding and drinking.

sstewart2010

Dec 10, 2012
Garden City, Michigan, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Leroy
I had this problem with Leroy too. The vet told me to take away ALL plastic toys. I did this a few weeks back and now his chin looks 100% better. You may also want to watch if he is chewing on bones or anything rough that may be rubbing against his chin. HTH :)

OP
F

frannygirl2010

Sep 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy(male)
Hello Guys..Thank you for the super advice...I will try the home remedies above to see if it helps clear it up before a stop to the vets office...regarding his food bowls; we only use stainless steal since plastic is not suitable at all so TY for asking!! ;)...... SSTEWART2010- you mentioned the plastic toys were recommended to be taken away from your bully by the vet.....so what do you give your bully to play with if he/she cannot have the plastic toys? Sammy chews through everything and i can only give him Nylabones and some other hard plastic not toxic toys..MY Sammy loves stuffy plush toys to chew BUT in (one spot) until it falls apart lol which is so dangerous that he cannot have them anymore so my only option is plastic....anything with material he CHEWS through it....So im wondering how does the plastic toy have anything to do with this issue? Sammy has had his plastic toys since a pup and no breakout until now....i dont feed him table scraps, onLY in the last month have i given him homemade bacon pieces and grilled chicken or beef pieces no seasoning and i just noticed the chin issue in the last 3 weeks.....Since ive noticed his chin, i have not given him special treats like that no more and moving forward nomore. I know how sensitive bullys are and i should have known better and i hope i did not cause this discomfort to him ;(.... AGAIN TY GUYS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT AND I WILL PUT A PIC OF SAMMY UP SOON..THANK YOU FOR CARING!!!

titanowners

Nov 10, 2012
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Titan
Titan had really bad chin acne where the acne would just cover his entire chin. We tried wiping his chin after he ate and drank (from stainless steel bowls) and it helped some.

The best thing that worked amazing for him within two days was a mixture of lemon juice (from a fresh lemon that you squeeze yourself) and apple cider vinegar with "mother" ( trader joe's has this for about $3 for a bottle).

We would wash his face with a non-scented baby wipe and really get in his creases on his chin then dip a soft cloth into the mixture and rub it on his chin. (he hates the smell of the apple cider vinegar so it's a little battle) but just rub the chin and let it dry itself. The lemon dries the moisture and kills the bacteria and the apple cider is what soothes the skin and also works to kill bacteria. Since we've done this his chin is virtually clear of acne.

and what's nice is how extremely cheap it is and it's 100% natural.

OP
F

frannygirl2010

Sep 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy(male)
Thank you so much for all your support from everyone and i will try the vinagar/lemon trick! I will let you know..ty TiTANowners!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online