Help Needed! demodectic mange + more

BulldogManiac

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Glitzy
Hi - We took our puppy to the vet to see why her skin hasn't cleared up after going on Fluconazole to clear up her yeast problem. Turns out 1) she still has yeast in her ear, 2) she had a bacterial skin infection, and 3) she has demodectic mange... the full meal deal. :( We have been following all the cleaning and diet advice on this site so I don't feel like I could have done anything else to prevent this (please correct me if I'm wrong!) but I still feel really bad for our puppy.

Vet gave us ear drops for the yeasty ear and antibiotics and a benzoyle peroxide shampoo for the bacteria. However, for the Mange, the vet recommended seeing if the antibiotics/shampoo help get rid of the mites before trying anything else. She said a lot of times dogs are able to recover from the mange if you give it time/treat with the shampoo. We are supposed to go to a followup appt in 7-10 days. Does anyone have any thoughts?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You are right, you could not do any better. Sometimes these things come all at once and ill explain why.

I think what's happening here is the ear infection triggered stress, which lowered the immune system. Once the immune system is compromised, it opens them up to all kinds of issues.

I would suggest adding a supplement like nuvet or hardypet to make sure your baby is getting all their nutrients. When the immune system is lowered, especially in combination with antibiotics or prescriptions, their vitamins get depleted very quickly.

Also add a smudge of plain yogurt once a day to make sure you are keeping the beneficial bacteria in the intestines. Antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
BulldogManiac

BulldogManiac

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Glitzy
Thanks for your input. Nuvet is ordered and I will kick up the yougurt a little bit. (i've been doing 1 small spoonfull a day).

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Miss Tallulah had mange as a little puppy ( 3 large patches on her front LH shoulder) and it was ugly but the vet said it is best just to leave it because most of the time it clears up on its own. In the rare case it doesn't go away he would prescribe something. Stress definitely adds to the likelihood of getting it - but he said just keep the area clean and use some cream for the itch if it seems to really make the pup scratch a lot. it did clear up in about a month.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It's not easy going through rough times with our bully's although they are the breed most likely to have health issue's it doesn't make it any easier. Lisa gave you good advise on the Nuvet .

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lisa has you covered.... I just wanted to wish you luck and send some :hug: to Glitzy

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes puppies seem to get these things and i dont think there is anything you did wrong. i would see about upping the immune system for sure. lisa has you covered on the vitamin and you could try a probiotic also if the yogurt is not helping much. hugs to you and glitzy :hug:

OP
BulldogManiac

BulldogManiac

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Glitzy
Thank you all so much for the advice! I'll keep you posted on how things go.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Thank you all so much for the advice! I'll keep you posted on how things go.

Otis has just been diagnosed with Mites too! He had one patch on his upper LH shoulder that just would not go away, my vet prescribed a antibiotic taken via mouth that I can't remeber the name of right now but it says on it that it treats swines and cows....he said this is hereditary and may never fully go away, may have to treat through-out his life if it comes and goes. He's been on the antibiotic for 2 days now - hoping it clears. Good luck to you, if you need the name of the antibiotic, I can get it for you.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All great advice above, and Lisa is correct regarding it being the immune system maybe being compromised. A good food is always important, good supplements will also help such as yogurt, apple cider vinegar, and the vitamins that Lisa recommended. Al these things are natural and will it hurt our dogs, but can boost the immune system and prevent illnesses. Sending hugs and prayers that she's feeling better soon.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
You have gotten some great advice already just wanted to wish you the best! I know its stressful when everything happens at once..but you are doing all you can to help your baby! I use maloseb wash (never experienced mange or anything) but its good for bacterial infections. We used it when Brutus had a staph infection and still use it when we do baths (not often)

OP
BulldogManiac

BulldogManiac

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Glitzy
Thought I would just give a quick update. The baths + antibiotics + ear drops (Baytril Otic) cleared up the bacterial infection and yeast in the ears.... but the mites didn't seem to go down in number at our scraping last week. So we are now on ivermectin. Starting with a small amount daily and increasing every couple of days for the next two weeks. Then, back to the vet for a check up. Keeping my fingers crossed she doesn't have any side effects from ivermectin... We are four days in and so far so good.

Good news is she is still cute and playful as a puppy can be! You can see the cuteness (and mange spots) in this picture.

puppy.jpg

As always, please let me know if you have any advice/words of wisdom. :)

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
Max had demodex when he was a puppy. We did Ivermectin, too. It did eventually clear up. She's super cute!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Thought I would just give a quick update. The baths + antibiotics + ear drops (Baytril Otic) cleared up the bacterial infection and yeast in the ears.... but the mites didn't seem to go down in number at our scraping last week. So we are now on ivermectin. Starting with a small amount daily and increasing every couple of days for the next two weeks. Then, back to the vet for a check up. Keeping my fingers crossed she doesn't have any side effects from ivermectin... We are four days in and so far so good.

Good news is she is still cute and playful as a puppy can be! You can see the cuteness (and mange spots) in this picture.

View attachment 38991

As always, please let me know if you have any advice/words of wisdom. :)

Yes, that's the name of the medicane Otis is on, we are on Day 16 - we have not been back to the vet yet, we will once the medicane is gone, it is 30 days worth.

Again, let us know how that goes as I'm very interested - I'll let you know how Otis makes out after his next checkup.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.