General Question Maggie is in heat...can you tell me if this is normal?

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
Maggie is 10 months old and in heat for the first time....I have never had a female dog before....is it normal for her privates to swell? She urinates much more often and it seems difficult for her to do her bowel movements - not terribly it just takes her a bit longer to finish? She also doesn't seem to want to jump up on the sofa like she usually does? Thanks for any comments. I think my big concern is how much her privates have changed?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience, but I tagged a few members that could give you some insight

L

Lucy-licious

Yes...totally normal for her to get puffy, pee lots, get slightly constipated and not want to jump or stand for a long time. She might get a bit clingy too...Lucy does anyway x

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap, like @Lucy-licuous has said, she is acting perfectly normal.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Aaaaw its doggie PMS lol. I have a boy so never dealt with it before, interesting info though!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Maggie is 10 months old and in heat for the first time....I have never had a female dog before....is it normal for her privates to swell? She urinates much more often and it seems difficult for her to do her bowel movements - not terribly it just takes her a bit longer to finish? She also doesn't seem to want to jump up on the sofa like she usually does? Thanks for any comments. I think my big concern is how much her privates have changed?

like everyone said Normal, you planing on having her spayed in the future?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Emma was my first female in many years. When she had her first heat I couldn't believe how much she swelled up, I first thought something could be wrong but like the others said, it's normal. Here's some pictures of her vulva swollen.

Side view.
2c9c0721.jpg

7a2c8de9.jpg

And the front view.
5560fb03.jpg

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Yes...totally normal for her to get puffy, pee lots, get slightly constipated and not want to jump or stand for a long time. She might get a bit clingy too...Lucy does anyway x

Hmmm, doesn't that sound a lot like US during that time?? LOL

- - - Updated - - -

hahaha by the end of next week you'll be running to the vet's .:lmaogirl: relax and just go with the flow

Haha, flow! :haha: Sorry, like I've stated before, sometimes I'm funnier in my head. :eek:

- - - Updated - - -

@ Little miss Maggie I think of it like a big ol' puffy bullseye that just screams "here, here, it goes HERE!" I just got done telling Mac that's it's a good thing we got him fixed as he wouldn't know what to do with his anyway. (he was on Cleo at the moment, no where NEAR where it should go if they were mating BTW)

WOW, I really like this new feature here! Awesome, go Desert!

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh yeah very normal! They don't feel all that great either. Probably cramps just like we have. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online