General Question white part of the eye swelled

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
I am typically a "lurker" :ashamed:. You all are super helpful and usually any questions are answered with a quick search. But Rufus has had swelled (left) eye white for a few days now. He wont let me take a picture so I will describe symptoms the best I can. The entire white is swelled, he has drainage, and he scratches at it. 2wks ago he went to the vet bc of a yeasty nose rope. That's clear now.

I searched cherry eye on here and on Google...to see the extent of it (if it could effect the WHOLE eye) and I don't think its what he has...my question is could this be allergies acting up (we are in the south and with the CRAZY weather allergy season has started down here) or is another vet appt due?

OP
Kassie

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
and as a side note the eyelashes look like they're clear of the eyeball.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well can't tell without a pic, but if the eyeball is swelling, I think it needs to be checked by a vet, to be on the safe side.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
If it was me, I'd take him in just to make sure it's not an infection, scratch or
puncture, all can cause lasting damage (and quickly) or blindness. It could be
pressure behind the eyeball causing swelling, dangerous too. This does not
sound like cherry eye. Not wanting to scare you but I'd take him in. GOD bless!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am typically a "lurker" :ashamed:. You all are super helpful and usually any questions are answered with a quick search. But Rufus has had swelled (left) eye white for a few days now. He wont let me take a picture so I will describe symptoms the best I can. The entire white is swelled, he has drainage, and he scratches at it. 2wks ago he went to the vet bc of a yeasty nose rope. That's clear now.

I searched cherry eye on here and on Google...to see the extent of it (if it could effect the WHOLE eye) and I don't think its what he has...my question is could this be allergies acting up (we are in the south and with the CRAZY weather allergy season has started down here) or is another vet appt due?

A picture would help, but as you describe it, I would think he scratched the eyeball -- take him to have it checked to ensure it does not get infected.

OP
Kassie

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
slow to respond back :(

It was an ulcer. He has pain drops and a pill. We went today for a checkup, and again Thursday.

He will be ok :) and now I've had my first real freak out lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: slow to respond back :(

It was an ulcer. He has pain drops and a pill. We went today for a checkup, and again Thursday.

He will be ok :) and now I've had my first real freak out lol

AWESOME.... so happy it was nothing serious! Give lots of treats and hugs for us!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.