General Question Bogey's Rough Week!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
What a week for my little guy!
Started out with a severe eye infection in both eyes. Left one cleared up quickly, the right one looked awful! Red, swollen, etc. Talk of a possible cherry eye forming. And then, his hernia was getting bigger, so we made the decision to neuter sooner rather than later so he did not have to go under anesthesia twice.
Surgery was yesterday. He did fine. He has staples in his belly and dissolvable sutures for the neuter. He came home with a GOD AWFUL HUGE PLASTIC CONE on his neck. This poor thing could not even walk with it on. He is so short, the cone kept catchingthe ground causing him to fall. And then the anesthesia wore off, and he was a MANIAC! Hitting his head on the wall, thrashing, jumping to try and get the damn thing off. I wanted to cry. Then I just decided to take it off. He settled right down and went to sleep for 3 hours. He is not even sniffing his belly or groin.
So, I have had 3 previous male dogs that came home from neutering with nothing on. They did give me an ointment to put around the incision to keep them away from licking it. But, I have never had a dog that had a hernia repair too. So, is there anyone out there that had both done and did not come home with a cone??
I did go out and buy one of those soft inflatable collars for "just in case" but I don't think he needs it right now. I am not sure he can even reach his belly or testicles to lick.
Any thoughts out there? I know my vet will not be happy as they INSISTED the cone stay in place for 2 WEEKS!! Really ridiculous.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have never used a cone on my dogs, I think they should only be used if the dog wouldn't leave the surgery area alone. IMO

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Don't know anything about cones. Just wanted to give you and Bogey a big:hug:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I have never used a cone on my dogs, I think they should only be used if the dog wouldn't leave the surgery area alone. IMO

Same for me, I learned early on it just traumatized mine...soft cone IF they need it.

:angelheart: Sending you & Bogey (one of my favs) soft hugs & kisses...prayers for fast recovery.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Oh dear porky had a hernia repaired, spayed, her vulva repositioned, n cherry eye surgery n didn't have a cone :) I think he will be just fine without one :) good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor Bogey.... hugs to sweet Bogey! I have also NEVER used a cone

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Ruggles had a hernia repair when neutered and didn't have a cone, however they did use some cloth socks??? on his back legs to hobble him so he couldn't jump!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm with you, no cone unless he shows that he's licking or biting at his incision site or stitches. I had Bulldozer neutered at 7 months old, and he didn't touch his stitches, and his sister Blossom was spayed and had both eyes repaired for cherry eye, and she also didn't touch her stitches or rub her eye at all. My vet never suggested the cone and they did fine. If he doesn't touch or lick the site, and he's resting more comfortably without it, then I would leave it off. Sending Bogey love hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I was thinking the same thing, I got mack already nuetered, but I bet he couldn't reach his groin anyways...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Thanks everyone! I told my vet I refused to use it and she was ok with it as long as i watch him like a hawk. She said younger pups do much better anyway. I ahve the soft collar if need be, but he is not the least bit noticing his underside! Thank heaven because he is just plain nasty the last 2 days without the confinements of the cone! UGH! Gonna be a loooonnnnngg 2 weeks!

Members online

No members online now.