NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Hey Everyone!

Been gone a bit, but I have returned! :p

So here's my issue...ear infections.

Brutus is now almost 3 (in March) and had always had a bit of trouble with his ears, but lately it seems to bet getting worse.
Been to the vet about 6 times in the last 2 months. He suggested it was Bru's food and the table food my wonderful husband gives him.
We changed his food, stopped table food and it seemed to work for about 2 weeks and then bam! Yet another ear infection.
We have medicated ear wash and medicated cream to put in them when he gets them, but it doesn't seem to be working as well lately.
Plus, the medicated rinse is leaving his ears soooo dry, they flake and seem like they are hurting him.

I used to clean them every other day, but the wax build up was soo much in just 2 days I now have been doing it every day (for the last 2 months).
Any remedies that you have tried and they work? I'm desperate.
He's completely healthy, except for his ears.
The vet is useless at this point and just keeps telling me to try different foods.

Thanks!!! Brutus will love you even more because he's sick of me constantly touching his ears lol.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hey Everyone!

Been gone a bit, but I have returned! :p

So here's my issue...ear infections.

Brutus is now almost 3 (in March) and had always had a bit of trouble with his ears, but lately it seems to bet getting worse.
Been to the vet about 6 times in the last 2 months. He suggested it was Bru's food and the table food my wonderful husband gives him.
We changed his food, stopped table food and it seemed to work for about 2 weeks and then bam! Yet another ear infection.
We have medicated ear wash and medicated cream to put in them when he gets them, but it doesn't seem to be working as well lately.
Plus, the medicated rinse is leaving his ears soooo dry, they flake and seem like they are hurting him.

I used to clean them every other day, but the wax build up was soo much in just 2 days I now have been doing it every day (for the last 2 months).
Any remedies that you have tried and they work? I'm desperate.
He's completely healthy, except for his ears.
The vet is useless at this point and just keeps telling me to try different foods.

Thanks!!! Brutus will love you even more because he's sick of me constantly touching his ears lol.

May I ask what Brutus is eating? It may well be from grains or potato's, if it's a yeast problem Jack periodically get's ear infections, but one or two dose's of his ear drops clears it up. sorry you guy's are going through this. hopefully someone will come along soon with more ear experience

OP
NJBullyMommy

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
He was just switched to Innova adult dry and has been on it for just about 1.5 weeks now. He was on Blue Wilderness before that and it didn't agree with him at all. So far the Innova has been better. No swelling between his toes with this lol.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He was just switched to Innova adult dry and has been on it for just about 1.5 weeks now. He was on Blue Wilderness before that and it didn't agree with him at all. So far the Innova has been better. No swelling between his toes with this lol.

Well, that's a start. I sure hope you can find a cure for him. I just started feeding my pack raw, hoping it will help with alergy's. Griz has had a bad time of dry yeasty skin. we've only had 4 days of raw so far. no cannon butt! that's a plus

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome back!!! Banks had lots of ear infections too when she was younger... once we got her off the grains they stopped, but she still has yeast issues so I use vinegar/water solution in her ears every other week just to keep them clean

OP
NJBullyMommy

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Welcome back!!! Banks had lots of ear infections too when she was younger... once we got her off the grains they stopped, but she still has yeast issues so I use vinegar/water solution in her ears every other week just to keep them clean

At this point, I'll try anything lol. Thank you!!!!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
At this point, I'll try anything lol. Thank you!!!!!

I was reading an article today in The Whole Dog Journal. It's a holistic site and you might want to take a look at it. I'm going to PM you the article it's rather lengthy

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Make sure you are getting him a grain free food with no potatoes! I had no idea about potatoes tell my vet talked to me about it. Also I used Malacetic otic and it kills anything building up in there. So maybe once you get the infection cleared up you could start using that once a day and if he is still doing good go to one every other day then eventually once every 4 days. I use it every 4 days now and I have never had a problem, also I know it is made for the ears but I use it on red yeast and tear stains and it clears it right up. Hope he gets feeling better!

Jungerland

Jul 31, 2011
Hi,

I have had and currently from time to time have yeast issues in Winston's ears as well. From what I have read on this great website and all the knowledgeable bully owners who have helped me out, as well as my Vet dermatologist. Part of the issue can be the diet, not sure what part cant help there. But I have found a wonderful product on Amazon called Zymox. Im sure others have tried it, I have had really good success using it.

I would try both the Ear Cleanser and the Otic solution and use as directed.

Here is a link to the Otic product. Over 1000 reviews with over 900 of them 5 star. I was pretty shocked of how well people thought this product was.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025YOJXS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
But I have found a wonderful product on Amazon called Zymox. Im sure others have tried it, I have had really good success using it.

I'll 2nd the zymox! That's what we use for Bruin's ears. It keeps coming back though, so there's some sort of underlying issue we need to figure out. They've been eating Earthborn Meadowfeast for awhile now, so I'm wondering if he's becoming allergic to lamb

EDIT: Zymox with Hydrocortisone. The hydrocortisone really helps when he's rubbing his ears. It calms him down in about 15-20 minutes

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I was reading an article today in The Whole Dog Journal. It's a holistic site and you might want to take a look at it. I'm going to PM you the article it's rather lengthy

You still have a copy of that? Remi is getting ear infections as well.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yesterday at Tate's follow up visit for his ear infection, the vet rx'd a bottle of Ear Flushing Drying Lotion that i'm supposed to put into Tate's ears 1-2x/week as a "preventative" from the ear wax build up as well as loosening up the ear wax that's already there. Is that something you've tried yet [MENTION=2251]NJBullyMommy[/MENTION]?

kanderson

Jul 22, 2013
Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stouffer
I'm having the same problems with my bulldog, Stouffer. I've taken him to a couple different vets and tried a few different products, but i can't seem to get his ear infections to go away 100%. The first vet I took him to (very new vet, had never seen a bulldog before..) told me that he needed to have his ear canals removed and that his infections would never clear up otherwise. Needless to say, I left that appointment crying and desperate for other solutions. I am ordering the Zymox solution that several people have mentioned, and I really hope it helps my guy. I have been thinking of putting him on a raw diet, since I know food could be causing this too. He was on Science Diet for almost 3 years before the ear problems started..could it still be the food?

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=9407]kanderson[/MENTION] first let me say :smileywelcome: to EBN, with regard to your question about food, it plays a huge part in the health of our bullies. I would start by checking out the food ratings page, you said you was on Science Diet for almost three year, what are you currently feeding him? A lot of us feed grain free to mitigate many of their health issues. Check out the link below

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.