General Question My Poor Winston :(

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
We took Winston to the vet on Saturday for his heartworm test and while we were there I had the vet look at this bump on his little corkscrew tail as his bum seemed to look very irritated. They did a test and sure enough he has a bacterial infection :nope:. I feel awful, he is on antibiotics for two weeks & benedryl twice a day. I wipe his bum with baby wipes everyday & after he goes to the bathroom but apparently that is not working. Any ideas of how I can prevent this from happening again. He was crying while they were they were trying to swab it, it was heartbreaking to hear him in pain. :cry:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I've been shampooing Bea's tail pocket with Duoxo shampoo and cleaning with Duoxo wipes in between. Bea's tail pocket is deep enough to hide a sandwich in and can get pretty gunky. This seems to help keep it trouble free and I've tried MANY things including Malaket wipes and just normal baby wipes.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor Wilson, sending him hugs and love. Don't be so hard on yourself, a bacterial infection can be picked up anywhere, even with ourselves. He could of picked it up outside, at a park, or from sitting outside where the bacteria may have been like on the grass. You are doing everything you can do to keep him clean in that area, but the tail and pocket area are so close to the butt and in constant contact with poop and things on the ground, so its easy to get an infection. We can also pick up bacteria from anywhere and even cleaning our hands frequently, doesn't always guarantee that we won't pick up some germ. The good thing is you had the vet check it out, and now it's being treated. It will be cleared up in no time and he'll be back to himself before you know it. Feel better Wilson.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree. A bacterial infection can come from anywhere. Don't be too hard on yourself.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you so much everyone! I will give the duoxo pads a try, I do have the malaket at home so in the meantime I will use those. The vet also has him getting a bath twice a week until he is cleared up with the ketocholor shampoo. I really do appreciate all of the support. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hugs to Winston... hope it clears up soon

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Everyone is right...we KNOW you are a great bully Mom to Winston!

I know it's hard to hear them cry... sending loving hugs to you both
:hug2:

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
sending lots of love to Winston and mommy! its not fun when our babies are not feeling well. He will be all cleared up in no time! :yes:

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Feel better soon Winston! :) At least you caught it quickly, and have gotten him treatment for it. There is no reason to feel guilty! All our children get bumps and bruises and bugs once in a while.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you everyone so much for the support!! He is starting to feel a bit better, he even went out and played in the snow yesterday! :yes:

Jungerland

Jul 31, 2011
From one Winston to another, in our experience in hot spots whether it is a bacterial or yeast issue we use TrizChlor wipes. I make sure to use these every day or two. I get his facial folds, and then really get into his tail pocket because of the moisture build up. These pads have a natural drying agent in them.

Here is a link to amazon, not prime shipping but for less than $10 why not give them a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00483PX7K/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online