Help Needed! Bad Breath, Discoloration on Canine Gum, what could it be-Pic included

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I noticed Henry's breath has been a bit bad lately. He also has seemed to be smacking his gums more than normal over the past few days. So i checked his gums and everything looked normal except for the gum above one of his canines. He's a little over 5 months in age and is teething so i wasn't sure if this was normal or not. I'm thinking not but wanted to get some opinions before the trip to the vet.
Note: He did just eat so there is some food debris.
He's still acting normal except for the smacking of the gums every now and again. tooth.jpg

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Is that a blister?

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Is it just discolored, or is that a lump or a blister? If its a lump I would have the vet look at it, it could be an abscess.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Is it just discolored, or is that a lump or a blister? If its a lump I would have the vet look at it, it could be an abscess.

It does look like a lump in the picture, but it looked like discoloration when i was personally looking at it, not a lump.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
If its not a lump, but just a discoloration of the gum, then maybe he was chewing a toy roughly, and bruised his gum.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
If its not a lump, maybe it's just his coloring or markings or pigment. Ruckus has a few dark markings on his gums, flappy jowls, and the roof of his mouth too. I never thought anything about it and the vet has never said anything.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361202698.806666.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
if he is not in any pain.... next vet visit ask to take a look and since no a bump and just discoloration --- as others have said it could be normal pigment change

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
if he is not in any pain.... next vet visit ask to take a look and since no a bump and just discoloration --- as others have said it could be normal pigment change

Yeah hopefully its just pigment, but since he started smacking his lips for no reason and recent bad breath, it has me worried a bit.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
check between his teeth, someone recently had found a hair stuck between two teeth in the back, and it started an infection with built up food and junk , just a thought

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Good News...The Vet said it was completely normal during the teething phase and said it was nothing to worry about. She explained what was going on, i can't really remember how she explained it but it made sense. Luckily for me i was not charged for the visit, she said Henry's cuteness and bully kisses were payment enough.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.