General Question peculiar puking!!!

brit1chick

Nov 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
sophie scarlett
My 4 month old girl has an embarrassing problem. Firstly let me say, she is not poorly and is healthy. But whenever we take her for a walk in a park or woodlands and she meets another dog and has a little play she is immediately sick, normally vomitting about three times. She does this thing that sounds like she is clearing her throat and then she vomits. It's really awful because people look at you and its hard to clear it away when you only have poop bags.
She is fine when we just take her around the block and when I walk her to school and she encounters other dogs there, and fortunately she hasn't done it there.
She did have an op on her cherry eye and the vet thought her throat area could be inflamed and swollen, so she has had medication for that, but it seems to be when there are a specific set of circumstances, parks and other dogs and then she pukes!
I really don't know what to do or think and it's making park walking very stressful instead of the pleasurable outing it used to be, as we are on edge, knowing that she is going to do it at some point and it's really embarrassing....please help!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have not heard of this before but it does seem as if it happens when she gets very excited. Hopefully somebody else will come along with more help.

Maybe call your vets and just talk to them about it???

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I have not heard of this before but it does seem as if it happens when she gets very excited. Hopefully somebody else will come along with more help.

That's what I was thinking too....maybe a response to over-excitement? If so, the best thing you can do is 1) don't feed the fire with baby talk or sympathy other excitable stuff. Tell folks in the park that your dog is in training; no touch, no talk, no eye contact. You could keep her on a leash and redirect if you see her getting in puke mode. Or you could keep a pocket full of high value treats to redirect with.

Watch for the trigger! If it's consistent in its occurrence then you should be able to spot the event(s) or situation that triggers the barf out -- and steer her out of that situation with redirection.

Bo's humping reflex LOL was a DIRECT result of over excitement. When I started actively managing this, the humping stopped. It is very hard to control other people -- and that was my biggest challenge. All that baby talk and "ooooo look at the doggie!" sent Bo over the moon. I have to politely share that Bo is prone to over excitement and he is able to enjoy quiet pets best. Not everyone complies. LOL

OP
brit1chick

brit1chick

Nov 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
sophie scarlett
we did wonder if it was something to do with excitement, but it's strange that it never happens when we encounter the dogs at the school gates and there is plenty of jumping and sniffing going on and one dog really does not like her, and growls at her, but it doesn't seem to bother her at all, she always tries to move in for a sniff!
It is only in the park when it happens, and always when there are other people around to witness it!!!
We are taking her for a bulldog walk next month so hopefully she will calm down and not get so excited, if that is what it is.
It did only start after she had her cherry eye op and the vet said it was normal and was probably from having the tube put down her throat, so she had medication to reduce any swelling, but the problem has continued, but like I say, only when she walks in the park!

actually it has just occured to me, it happens in the places that we drive to, perhaps being in the car as well as the other dogs, sends her over the edge, as all the places we walk to is when she is ok!

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Do you use a harness or a collar for her. Just wondering if perhaps a collar and when encountering other pups she is straining against it more to try to get to them in her excitement. Thus causing the problem?

OP
brit1chick

brit1chick

Nov 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
sophie scarlett
I thought of that and we got her a harness but to our dismay she still puked!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It could be like you said fro mthe car ride and the excitement put together. Hoping she will grow out of it.

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
My Winston also pukes when he is excited, usually multiple times and this isn't directly after he eats. I think they just can't handle all the stimulation and is super excited to meet friends. Usually he is running around when he pukes but he has been inside playing and puked on another dog...so embarrassing lol What I have done a few times and it has helped is spray lemon juice in his throat, this will cut the phlegm that is causing them to puke. I bought a small lemon juice from the grocery store and carry it when I know he will need it and always in the heat. Hope this helps!

OP
brit1chick

brit1chick

Nov 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
sophie scarlett
Thanks for that, I will give that a try, definitely. I can't carry on like this and I don't want to stop taking her to the park... Phew, relieved it's not just my dog, Lol!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
This is very interesting to me. Mine have never had this problem (Emma had excitement pee when she was little but grew out of that). Kinda reminds me of when a person gets acid reflux. Something is getting triggered when she gets excited to make her puke.

I'm going to move this over to the health section now.....might get some more responses :up:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.