Ear Issues...HELP!

Pickle27

Oct 13, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Tater
My 5 year old Bullie is having some wonderful ear issues. His ears are always wet with brown wax. He has never had this problem before, weekly cleanings used to be sufficient but for the past several months its seems twice a day is needed. He constantly shakes his head and rubs his ears on things. He has been to the vet and has been treated with antibiotic drops, not so much of a help. I have tried ear powder in an attempt to dry his ears out a little bit. His ears are now starting to have an odor that I am not enjoying. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, PLEASE HELP!
4 317.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome [MENTION=1376]Pickle27[/MENTION] , he may have cronic yeast or ear infection. Keep cleaning with good ear solution. What are you feeding? I could be diet related as well.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Have your tried Remicin? Its an ointment type medictaion . I got it from my vet when we got Mr.Beefy who had a horrible yeast infection in his ears!!! I had to use it twice a day and clean his ears withn a q-tip and wipes with apple cider vinegar it cleared up in a week.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Yep...sounds like yeast! Back to the drops. My vet also gave us a maintance drop. Once weekly drops. I was bad and didn't do them once weekly....Orion got an ear infection.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson has been having chronic ear infections as well, have been to the vet and gotten all the medications but it always comes back. He is 4.5 yrs, hadn't had an infection his whole life until this past May but now it just keeps coming back! [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] was having the same problem with her Linus and found out a diet with sweet potatoes/potatoes can cause them to be more yeasty so they switched to Natures Variety Instinct. Jillh10 said its helped ALOT but I am sure she can come on and give you her input as well. But the food change success she has had makes me think it may help Samson so as soon as I finish this bag of Fromm Surf & Turf I have now I'm going to try the Natures Variety.

Ruthann Phillips

Aug 4, 2010
There's an excellent food I've put all the rescues on when they come in, it's called Taste of the Wild (available at Tractor Supply) I personally use the Pacific Stream variety but they also have chicken or venison. I've not had one allergy develop and all of my ear problems have improved. We have one dog who's ears were swollen shut from years of infection. We thought she was going to need ablation surgery. After treatment, changing to Taste of the Wild and Naturvet Tea Tree Oil ear wash, her ears have improved considerably. We had her at the vet this morning...no ablation surgery.
Please be sure that any ear wash you are using contains alcohol so that moisture will dry, particularly after a bath.
If these ear problems continue, I would invest in allergy testing rather than repeated vet visits and multiple courses of antibiotics. For the rescue, my threshold of doing allergy testing is very low. I'd rather pay $250-300 doing the testing and avoid the foods they are allergic too than spend $150.00 monthly on vet visits.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.