General Question Temporary cherry eye

D

DaisyBulldog

Hi All!

I've been reading a lot on here about cherry eye, and it seems most bulldogs need surgery to correct it. Has anyone experienced temporary cherry eye? It seems to be brought on by stress from what I've heard. Daisy has had it happen once, and another bulldog who was here a couple weeks had it happen once. Both times the cherry eye resolved itself in a few hours.

Just curious if this is common, too. ;)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yes .. I believe that's just as common. Maggie got one once and after she'd taken one of her many naps .. it was gone and never returned!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That is not really a Sherry eye. It is Plica semilunaris and it can develope in to one if it gets infected. My Usko use to get it sort of slip out when ever he was rubbing his face on to something or like you said in a stressful situation. It always went away with a little rest. Now when his head has grown it hardly ever slips out, but still sometimes it does.

OP
D

DaisyBulldog

That is not really a Sherry eye. It is Plica semilunaris and it can develope in to one if it gets infected. My Usko use to get it sort of slip out when ever he was rubbing his face on to something or like you said in a stressful situation. It always went away with a little rest. Now when his head has grown it hardly ever slips out, but still sometimes it does.

I tried to google this term and couldn't find anything related to dogs. *shrug* Looks exactly like all the pics of cherry eye I have seen.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes, as others have said.... they can show up, go away and never return. Which is why a lot of vets will treat for before jumping to tacking

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] Would a slipped Plica semilunaris look like a cherry eye without a bump? This morning Lillly was fine and when I came home this afternoon it looks as though the pink in the corner (and bottom) of her eye moved in closer to her eye.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] Would a slipped Plica semilunaris look like a cherry eye without a bump? This morning Lillly was fine and when I came home this afternoon it looks as though the pink in the corner (and bottom) of her eye moved in closer to her eye.

Exactly like that, not bumby or red, but clearly visible.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
When Tubby would sleep or is tired it would show in the corner of his left eye. Last Monday though Tubbs was playing and then came sat in my lap and POW full on cherry eye in his left eye. So I would just watch it there's really not much that you can do to stop it. Luckily Tubby's cherry eye doesn't bother him or affect him in any way. I took it worse then him lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online