Help Needed! What do you all think is best for bully arthritis ??

Neesy33

Feb 17, 2013
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Butters
Hello all! I am new here, my name is Denise and I have an 8 year old bully names Butters :D Hopefully I can get some feedback for you guys. I am struggling with my poor baby and his walking. I have tried everything from laser therapy to Adegun (spelling?) shots. He was currently on Previcox and was doing OK, but i don't really see a improvement. He does not seem to be in pain, he still eats and wants to play when HE wants LOL. Anything maybe herbal or supplements you all can recommend ?? Thankssss :2thumbs:

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
I'm sorry I don't know. My baby is 6 so I'm curious to read what others suggest. Good luck! I hope someone can help.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I just ordered "Arthritis Relief" last night on carolinapetpantry.com for Oliver. He hasn't been diagnosed with arthritis yet but has some very mild hip dysplasia that my vet does not recommend surgery for. Her reasoning is if they replace his hip he's bound to get arthritis later on and if they do nothing but try to control the inflammation and stiffness he's still probably going to develop arthritis so why put him through the surgery to get the same result without it.

ArthritisReliefN_thumb.jpg
Arthritis Relief Helps to relieve minor muscle and joint pain. Natural alternative to Rimadyl. Ease your pet's muscle and joint pain naturally. Help is now available in the form of a homeopathic medicine used for many years in Europe by veterinarians and pet owners. Contains ingredients known to activate the body's own healing mechanisms against inflammation and stiffness. The medicine, which comes in one fluid ounce bottles, is easily administered by putting a few drops in an animal's mouth or drinking water.
PRICE: $12.95

Like I said, I just ordered this last night so don't know how well it works but I figure why not try it and it's reasonably priced

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Cutty has signs of arthritis in his knee where he had his acl surgery the dr said but he shows no signs physically yet. This will be good for me to see how you like what you end up using.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I am not familiar with any medications that are good for arthritis, but there are a lot of natural supplements and products that are helpful like Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulfate MSM, it protects and lubricates the joints , it can take 4 to 6 weeks to see results. Omega 3 fatty acids from fish oil or flaxseed oil, salmon oil, cod liver oil, or coconut oil, works as an anti inflammatory and lubricates joints. A good diet with quality food goes a long way to prevent disease and inflammation related illnesses, choose foods with a 5 or 6 star rating, there is a great forum with food ratings on this site. Foods that contain wheat, wheat by products, corn, and soy cause inflammation, and should be avoided. Acupuncture can releive pain and inflammation, and increases circulation to muscles and joints. There are also supplements that can help with inflammation such as yogurt, which boosts the immune system, and apple cider vinegar added to the drinking water. There are a lot of benefits to apple cider vinegar such as reducing inflammation in the body, it is a natural antibacterial agent , it kills bad bacteria in the body, and boosts the immune system. There is also a great article on the benefits of apple cider vinegar in the health forum. Also some people use physiotherapy for their dogs to relieve arthritis symptoms, but I don't know how expensive it is, but you can prevent a lot of pain and stiffness from arthritis by keeping your bully moving and active through regular exercise , as simple as just walking. I hope this helps

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I just ordered "Arthritis Relief" last night on carolinapetpantry.com for Oliver. He hasn't been diagnosed with arthritis yet but has some very mild hip dysplasia that my vet does not recommend surgery for. Her reasoning is if they replace his hip he's bound to get arthritis later on and if they do nothing but try to control the inflammation and stiffness he's still probably going to develop arthritis so why put him through the surgery to get the same result without it.

ArthritisReliefN_thumb.jpg
Arthritis Relief Helps to relieve minor muscle and joint pain. Natural alternative to Rimadyl. Ease your pet's muscle and joint pain naturally. Help is now available in the form of a homeopathic medicine used for many years in Europe by veterinarians and pet owners. Contains ingredients known to activate the body's own healing mechanisms against inflammation and stiffness. The medicine, which comes in one fluid ounce bottles, is easily administered by putting a few drops in an animal's mouth or drinking water.
PRICE: $12.95

Like I said, I just ordered this last night so don't know how well it works but I figure why not try it and it's reasonably priced

Sounds like I could use this.. LOL... I may try it for HRH too. At 6 yrs old she seems a bit stiff at times.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i use a joint medicine called joint flex from overby farms that i got at petco. she is using level 2 right now as i was testing it but there is a level 3 also. she is doing very well on it i must say. its has glucosamine, msm, tart cherry, vit c, omega 3 and 6 from flaxseed and vit e. the level 3 had chondroitin and some other stuff as well.

OP
N

Neesy33

Feb 17, 2013
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Butters
Thanks for all the replies, I just feel so bad for him i ran out of the Previcox 2 days ago and by the time I got home from work the VET was closed and boy what a difference with out it He is walking (barely) like he is crippled ::((( My vet said the same about the surgery, he didn't recommend it because he is 8. I took a Tremadol from my sisters dog today im hoping that gives him some relief until tom. His diet he has a RX food from the vet HILLS j/d its really expensive so i mix it with the pedigree adult joint food. That is very interesting to know about acupuncture, I have taken him for a laser therapy treatments my vet was offering but I didn't see much improvement. I massage him myself too LOL he loves it. He is still so happy he loves to go in the car, he plays with his babies so I would really hate to think that I would have to start thinking about that awful decision :((( I had a boxer that was 14 that I had to put to sleep last year, i was so heartbroken, but I am def not selfish and would never want to see Butters suffer SOOOO im trying everything I can for now... Thank u guys for all ur input <3

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Awh, poor baby!!!!

I know acupuncture works on my back pain!

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

OP
N

Neesy33

Feb 17, 2013
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Butters
I have been hearing alot about the acupuncture!! Im going to def check it out!!! They are angels in fur coats LOL that is cute!!

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Thank you!

Yes, definitely try acupuncture, it works!!

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We do the Laser Therapy for Banks .... she has fused vertebrae and it does work well for her, but she is also on Gabipetin once a day ---

OP
N

Neesy33

Feb 17, 2013
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Butters
I tried about 8 laser treatments and it didnt seem to improve him. He has a "good" improvement on the Previcox so I am going to keep him on that for now. Im researching on where I can take him to a pool for exercises and maybe a cart!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I tried about 8 laser treatments and it didnt seem to improve him. He has a "good" improvement on the Previcox so I am going to keep him on that for now. Im researching on where I can take him to a pool for exercises and maybe a cart!

Cart? The two wheeled kind that straps to them that takes the weight off of their legs?

If so, search on Facebook for The Rolling Dog Project. for more info on them.

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My Punkin gets bi-monthly laser treatments too for his knees. At first though, he needed them weekly for at least a month so it can take effect. Is this what your vet did?

Punks also gets daily glucoseamine, VetriScience Glycoflex I, to be exact. Since we started him on these, we've seen great improvement. Especially when he was getting laser therapy that first month, he was running like a puppy!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online