Other raised feeding bowls

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i know this is a hot topic and im not here to debate really. im just sharing my experience with the bowls for others to learn and decide on their own if they want to use them or not. they say that using them increases the chance of bloat by alot so i will just say that right away. i am not here to debate that either. i am here to tell sarahs story and thats all. please do not turn this thread into an argument but if you have something to share please do.

ok so last year sarah was having trouble eating as in coughing and choking is the best i can describe it. i got her a stainless steel slow feed bowl. didnt seem to help much and was hard finding one big enough to fit her big mouth in. so i had heard bout the raised bowls so i decided to try it. well she does eat better with them so i thought ok cool. so not to long after that we had a memeber whose bully died from bloat and alot of stuff was posted so others would not go through the same thing. well one of the things it said was not to use raised feeding bowls. so i took hers away. well she started having the same trouble along with some congestion and just didnt seem to eat as well as when she had them. after several months i decided to try them again to see if it improved her eating. so i gave them back to her and yes she does not choke as much and some of her congestion went away also. she just seems to do better overall with them so i made the decision that she will eat out of them from now on unless something changes. i may at some point try something else such as a feeding ball but for now this is what we are doing. i will not say it has cured all of her problems eating but it does seem to help alot. i hope this helps someone as i know there have been threads here on the subject before.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we usually have to hold Lolas bowl up to her face so she might as well have a raised feed bowl. with how strong our bullies are, do you have a recommendation on which setup will withstand a body check or two?

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
we usually have to hold Lolas bowl up to her face so she might as well have a raised feed bowl. with how strong our bullies are, do you have a recommendation on which setup will withstand a body check or two?
well i just got sarah one from petco. its plastic but the bowls are stainless steel. it has 3 levels to it. you can sit it on the ground or it has 2 legs sizes that go in it. ive seen some others that were all metal but this is just the one i got.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi,
I think this is one of those things where your miles may vary. Each bullie is different, and since it's obviously working for her, you know what they say... if it ain't broke..

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
I never knew (heard of) a problem with raised feeding bowls, I'm new here. Max has been eating out of one for 5 years. I never had a problem. He eats every meal like he's starving & it's his last meal.
if it works for Sarah, how could it be wrong?

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Ok, so I just read about it on "petwebmd.com". He has been eating & drinking out of raised bowls for 5 years but, I'll lose sleep over this. Another question for my vet.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We always fed our bullmastiffs from raised bowls, but I know that it is a risk factor for bloat. Bullmastiffs are at risk for bloat anyway. We didn't have that problem in our dogs. I think other, more important things to avoid are strenuous exercise after eating and drinking a lot of water after eating. If your dog is eating better from raised bowls, I would continue using the raised bowls.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.