Help Needed! Sitting & spinning

greek

Aug 25, 2012
Brownstown,Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Mojo
I need some help my EB will sit down & spin or scut. Her head will look like she is doing a stevie wonder move. Does anyone know why she might be doing this? Could it be food allergies? I changed her food from Royal Canin to Fromm Duck & Sweet Potato seems like she does this alot more. I,m going to try Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Grain Free to see if it helps. Anyone have any ideas. I don.t know if she has a itch see can,t reach or what. Some friends gave her to us she was always fed Royal Canin. S he is 4 1/2 yrs. old. I changed her to the Fromm's because I thought it would be a better food she has been on this for about a month seems like I notice her scrathing her ears alot more also.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
More than likely it's her anal glands that need to be expressed. That's a classic sign (the sit down and spin or scoot) that they need to be expressed. I doubt it's the actual food itself but if her stools have been loose from changin her food that could be a reason she's doing it. This is going to sound gross, but needs to be said. If the stools aren't hard enough and if the anal glands are not in the right positions, then when they poop it doesn't press up against the anal gland right and when that happens they don't get expressed. This is a normal function that all dogs do.

Here's an article I prepped after quite a bit of research I did. There's a video of a bully scooting too that you can watch.

Anal Gland Care - Everything You Need to Know

Now if the ears are itching it could be the food or just dirty ears that need to be cleaned.

Last edited:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome here! Mojo is gorgeous!! Her scooting could be anal glands are full
& need to be expressed or worms
:eek: Her itchy ears could be dirty & need
cleaning or yeast infection starting (some bullies are sensitive to potatoes).

If so, Fromm's Beef Fritta could be substituted, however, this could have been
going on from the Royal Canin, it takes a month or so to completely clear the
old food from their systems. I'd wait a month before switching foods again and
see how she does. Please post more pics of gorgeous Mojo! Best wishes
:2thumbs:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
There is an itch down there for sure what she can't reach. It can be her glands, tail pocket or privates. After a switch to a better quality food there can be a period of itching and scratching, but it should pass.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would get the anals checked and the ears cleaned and if it continues after that then you can try another food. you dont want to do to many changes to quickly. sarah sometimes gets an itchy butt and i have to put hydrocortisone on it. could be tail pocket if they have one or their privates are itchy. one time i had treated sarahs tp and booty and yet she was still rocking and then i checked and it was her privates in between the folds.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I took Bo in for this very thing and his anal glands were just fine. There's lots of things it could be and you just gotta go thru each one and check and then move onto the next if it's not that thing.

For Bo, its that little area between the tail and the body -- maybe it's the Taint? LOL -- anyway, Bo's tail is flat against his bum and debris gets caught under there and it requires cleaning every single day. Too, from the cleaning, that taint can get dry and itchy so, a little Desitin or -- if it's real bad -- Hydrocortisone cream, after the cleaning and he's a happy happy boy.

My first EB, Mable, used to breakdance in this way (same tail type as Bo) and I was a stupid bully owner. I had no EBN to help me. Mable's little taint got so sore and dry that it cracked and BLED. It was only when I took her to the vet to say, "My dog is bleeding from her butthole" that this was discovered. DID I FEEL LIKE A JERK!

Tail care is so important for this breed!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Welcome here! Mojo is gorgeous!! Her scooting could be anal glands are full
& need to be expressed or worms
:eek: Her itchy ears could be dirty & need
cleaning or yeast infection starting (some bullies are sensitive to potatoes).

If so, Fromm's Beef Fritta could be substituted, however, this could have been
going on from the Royal Canin, it takes a month or so to completely clear the
old food from their systems. I'd wait a month before switching foods again and
see how she does. Please post more pics of gorgeous Mojo! Best wishes
:2thumbs:

I didn't realize it would take so long. We are just now seeing marked improvement in Mabel since changed food. It has been 3 weeks.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I took Bo in for this very thing and his anal glands were just fine. There's lots of things it could be and you just gotta go thru each one and check and then move onto the next if it's not that thing.

For Bo, its that little area between the tail and the body -- maybe it's the Taint? LOL -- anyway, Bo's tail is flat against his bum and debris gets caught under there and it requires cleaning every single day. Too, from the cleaning, that taint can get dry and itchy so, a little Desitin or -- if it's real bad -- Hydrocortisone cream, after the cleaning and he's a happy happy b

My first EB, Mable, used to breakdance in this way (same tail type as Bo) and I was a stupid bully owner. I had no EBN to help me. Mable's little taint got so sore and dry that it cracked and BLED. It was only when I took her to the vet to say, "My dog is bleeding from her butthole" that this was discovered. DID I FEEL LIKE A JERK!

Tail care is so important for this breed!

Eek .... I learn something new everyday from EB :eek:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
my very first thought is does your bulldog have a tail pocket ... my little Diesel has a tight tail pocket and he will sit and do a spin of sorts more a sitting wiggle but he only does it when his tail pocket is bugging him.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My first thoughts were anal glands, or tail pocket too!!

As for the fromm ... the flavour you're on is not grain free, and rather than go through the whole process of doing that slow switch to a different brand, I would try a different flavour first. That way you can just swtich immediately.

I would go for one of the Fromm grain free ... there are four of them, but only the Beef Frittata contains no chicken. A lot of bullies are allergic to chicken AND grains .. so you will see the Fromm Beef frittata mentioned regularly on this site!

Wayne Sorensen

Jan 18, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
That's so funny because my female does that too from time to time. It seems like the only immediate relief she gets is when I scratch her rear end. I wipe her rear real good with wet wipes made especially for dogs and it seems to help a little. She does drive me nuts though because she gets skittish doing it

Wayne

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.