ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Our little Mabel just got back from Dr. Carpenter in Grand Rapids, where she will have surgery for her stenotic nares, elongated palate, a tonsillectomy, the removal of a tumor on her foot, teeth cleaning, and the removal of polyps in her throat. I was surprised to see how bad her throat is and kind of surprised these issues weren't addressed before we adopted her. We are fortunate that our tax refund will cover most of this surgery. We really like Dr. Carpenter, who specializes in bulldogs. He recommended biobalm for her nose. She also needs weekly anti-fungal baths, ear goop for a nasty ear infection, and antibiotics for the same. Mabel loved him--but she loves everyone. What are your experiences with this throat-stripping surgery?:crying:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hugs to you and Mabel..... best of luck with the surgery!

I do not know anything about the throat stripping procedure. Our Nitschke did have the nares, palate and something else done to clear his breathing.... he recovered beautifully and barely had any restrictions. His snoring and apnea were severely lessened after the process, but not fully gone.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I have no idea about these surgeries, as I have no experience with it, but I just wanted to send my love, hugs and prayers to you and Mabel. That's a lot of surgeries for a little girl to go through, poor peanut, but at least you are very comfortable with your vet, and it's better that she's going to have everything done at the same time, as there will be only one anesthetic, and she can heal and recuperate from everything at the same time. Good luck to Mabel and I hope she has an easy time during her surgeries and a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on how she is doing. Take care and give Mabel lots of hugs and kisses from me, and lots of slobbery kisses from Bulldozer and Blossom

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
oh gosh, I'm just here to give you support, I really have nothing to add. :pray2:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Can they try steroids to lower the throat swelling up a bit and reevaluate her in a couple of weeks? Just curious because I know this approach worked for others in the past. Either way it sounds like a lot to be done but I guarantee she will be a hundred times more comfortable in the end. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Chris, you know I'll hold you & Mabel in prayer...it's a lot to go thru however you
are comfortable w/your Vet & Mabel needs this done to have good quality of life.

How can she be so sweet & wonderful to one & all while feeling so badly all her life?

She deserves this (and more) and the day YOU adopted her...her life began!

GOD looks thru out the world for the good to reward and you are one to be blessed.

Every time I see Mabel in your posts, I smile...her face is that sweet & full of love.
:Muah:

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Can they try steroids to lower the throat swelling up a bit and reevaluate her in a couple of weeks? Just curious because I know this approach worked for others in the past. Either way it sounds like a lot to be done but I guarantee she will be a hundred times more comfortable in the end. :hug:

I wish steroids would work, but her throat is so bad surgery is definitely the only option. Her palate is so bad it has dropped down and further obstructs her airway. I wanted to cry for this poor dog when the vet showed it to me. It explains why she can barely make it walking to the end of our drive. She doesn't bark or otherwise make a sound. When she sleeps her whole little body jerks struggling to breathe.i knew this wasn't normal bulldog breathing. I think she'll be a new dog after the surgery, but it breaks my heart, knowing the pain she'll have. :cry:

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Hugs to you and Mabel..... best of luck with the surgery!

I do not know anything about the throat stripping procedure. Our Nitschke did have the nares, palate and something else done to clear his breathing.... he recovered beautifully and barely had any restrictions. His snoring and apnea were severely lessened after the process, but not fully gone.

the palate and trachea obstruction removal is what they called throat stripping. I am so glad Nitschke's snoring didn't go away. I would be sad if I didn't hear it every night.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have nothing to add just wanted to say good luck and I hope she recovers well!:pray:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Will they be doing laser I hope? (For the pallet) If not that is something to look into or discuss... They heal so much faster.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh i have nothing to add here as ive never had this but just wanted to give hugs from sarah and i for a speedy recovery. :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
She's going to feel like a NEW DOG with her increased airway. Don't worry too much about Mabel's discomfort -- they'll give you pain meds --- and you have to be strong for her. Dogs live in the moment! When you do too, you will help her recover faster and more worry free.

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Thanks, everyone. You all are the best! :havemyheart: I am sitting here with this little dog at my feet. When she exhales her whole body jerks. Poor little thing! Only 2 more weeks!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.