Help Needed! My bully thinks he's starving everytime he eats!

Dove7

Apr 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
His Royal Thickness Sir Buddy 'Harely' & Eva (RIP)
For those of you who don't know, we lost our first bully in a car accident. After waiting 8 long months, a wonderful person in Kentucky, who heard our story and who runs a bully kennel, gave us a puppy out of the goodness of her heart and wanting to help heal the pain. We've had Harley since he was 8 wks old and he is now about 4 1/2 months old.

We fairly recently started feeding him on the same schedule as our other dog so we have them on a regular routine. They both eat 1 1/2 cups in the morning and in the evening. Harley has always scarfed down his food. He attacks it like it's going to be taken from him. He did that when he was on the 3 times a day schedule and even now. I thought as he got older he would calm down and regulate his eating, but it hasn't happened yet. Is there anything we can do to help him realize we aren't going to starve him? He isn't food aggressive. I can take it from him and he doesn't growl or cry, but he certainly doesn't give it up easily as he hovers over his bowl and I have to lift his head to take the bowl from him. Am I not feeding him enough? Is he really just that hungry? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm afraid it's going to end up messing up his digestive system because he doesn't chew... He just seems to swallow it all whole.

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Max is 6 years old, he's been eating like that since I got him ( @ 8 weeks). Sometimes he starts growling as I'm putting the food down.
Sometimes I use one of those toys that they have to work at to dispense the food. Sometimes I feed him in increments. He is 75lbs, he's not starving, a habit I've never been able to break.
Sorry, I know I was no help.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i think its a bully thing. sarah eats as if someone will steal her food to. some use a slow feed bowl, some use a ball in the bowl to slow down the feeding you can get these on amazon ive heard. you could also feed in increments. put some in the bowl then let him eat then put some more in there and let him eat.

OP
D

Dove7

Apr 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
It's good to know it probably won't cause health issues at least. I just wish I knew why he does it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
All of mine eat like this except one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Both my girls eat like this every time and then they will walk around the house looking for more food!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is so normal..... I add water to banks' food, just enough to make her slow down -- she is a vacuum cleaner when food is involved

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm no help either, some bullies are just like that. My Dozer will sit and wait so patiently for his food, and it takes him a long time to eat it, mostly I think because he has a severe underbite and his teeth don't meet together, so it takes him a little longer to eat. Blossom on the other hand is a Hoover, she inhales her food, you would think we never fed her. She will charge at her food, inhale it, then go after Dozers food, so we have to feed them separate, then if we forget to put the cat food up high, she will inhale that too, and the she goes to the dog food storage bin, she has figured out how to flip the lid open with her nose, and she dives head first, and then both paws into the bin, and tries to inhale the contents of that too.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I do remember your story very well as I have shared it many many times. I'm so glad someone came to the rescue with a bully to help you heal. How is you husband doing? he was hospitalized for a long time as I remember.

As for eating like a pig, yeah, I know exactly what you are saying. the slow ball method has worked for so many here.
[MENTION=4670]Dove7[/MENTION]

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I think it may be a kibble eating thing. Liz seems to inhale kibble when I give her that, but mostly they eat raw and they chew that up very well. Also, they chew treats very well no matter how small they already are. Remember that your dogs are like us in one respect. It takes 20 minutes before we feel full after eating. It takes a similar amount of time for our dogs as well. So they may think they are starving if they eat fast, but they are not.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm so sorry for your loss and going thru such trauma. I must have joined
after this happened so didn't know. GOD keep & bless you, my friend!

I joined in July this past year after I adopted a 4 y/o bully, Brutus.

3 months later, my husband of 26 yrs died of a heart attack at 52.

3 months after that, Brutus had his teeth cleaned (infected) and died.

My Mother's Alzheimer's dramatically worsened from the losses & grief.

So, I understand...has your husband recovered well?

As for his eating habits, many bullies are the same way, it doesn't make
them ill (thank goodness). Try adding a half can of unsalted green beans
to his food, will fill him up w/out much calories. Give healthy treats 2 x day
between meals to tide him over...3 or 4 sardines (water packed) a boiled
egg (very soft boiled, runny) w/shell on (let him play w/it) and if he isn't
allergic to dairy or gets yeast easily then give a TBSP of plain yogurt or TBSP
cottage cheese, again give as treats not on top of food so as to tide him over.

What do you feed him at meal times?

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
Both of my Bully's eat like it is their last meal and I know they get plenty to eat. The rate at which he attacks his food may not really indicate extreme hunger. You can try moistening his food and I have never had to do this but I have heard of putting kibble in a cupcake pan to slow down eating. ( I think those pans are aluminum, not stainless steel, but it is a thought)

OP
D

Dove7

Apr 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=5264]sweetpeasmom2008[/MENTION] Harley definitely continues looking. We keep the food locked in a closet he would definitely find it. We finally got him to where he doesn't bother trying to get to our other dogs food because he eats exceptionally slow and Harley used to run over and scarf it down after being done with his!
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] That's actually a great idea! I think I'll try that next. Thank you!
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] Adam has been on the mend ever since he was released from the hospital. He was in for about a month and a half and went to his mom's after and had to have 1 more surgery to remove a bar from his hips. It was a long road, but he eventually started using a walker, then a can, and he is now to where he can get around a little bit without anything! It's still hard and it wears his leg out fast, but he has healed so much it's just a miracle. Harley keeps him entertained because I work and he's home all day. He's really done a great job training him.
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] I am so sorry for all the trauma in your family! I understand the pain. Adam has recovered very well. Next month will be a year from the accident. We are actually going Monday to a banquet with the firefighters who helped rescue him. We've made truly amazing friends with them through this. They were our lifeline, especially Adam's.

I feed him Taste of the Wild bison flavored, grain-free. It's the best food we can get here without having to order and have food shipped. He does really well with it and it seems to agree very well with his digestive system. Treats is a great idea. He does love treats and we probably don't give him enough of them.

Thank you all for all the great ideas! You were all very helpful. Each bully is different, so maybe some are scarfers and some are picky. Eva didn't eat so fast, so Harley is different. I'll try some of the things you all have suggested. Thank you!

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
I'm no help either, some bullies are just like that. My Dozer will sit and wait so patiently for his food, and it takes him a long time to eat it, mostly I think because he has a severe underbite and his teeth don't meet together, so it takes him a little longer to eat. Blossom on the other hand is a Hoover, she inhales her food, you would think we never fed her. She will charge at her food, inhale it, then go after Dozers food, so we have to feed them separate, then if we forget to put the cat food up high, she will inhale that too, and the she goes to the dog food storage bin, she has figured out how to flip the lid open with her nose, and she dives head first, and then both paws into the bin, and tries to inhale the contents of that too.

Lol,that's hysterical!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@Texas Carol I am so sorry for all the trauma in your family! I understand the pain. Adam has recovered very well. Next month will be a year from the accident. We are actually going Monday to a banquet with the firefighters who helped rescue him. We've made truly amazing friends with them through this. They were our lifeline, especially Adam's.

Thank you, I had just joined EBN and their continual support has helped me heal
every day, these members have been one of GOD's greatest blessings to me :angelheart:

I applaud your determination, courage & grit keeping everything together, pulling
your family thru this challenging trial, going thru the dark valley of death to walk
on the other side at present time.

Some never get there...may GOD continue to keep you & yours blessed! Carol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.