Help Needed! Advice on Lymphoma Needed!

Rebturley

Nov 3, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Pearl Magnolia
I know I am not on here much, but I have an urgent medical matter that I thought I would share and seek assistance from those that might have been through this before. Our Bully's (Pearl) big sister Chimi, who is a Golden Lab, was just diagnosed with lymphoma yesterday. She stopped eating about a week ago, and by the time we got her in yesterday, she had dropped twelve pounds. They pulled some fluid from the lymph nodes and sure enough it was lymphoma. My vet is supposed to call me back tomorrow concerning some options for chemo, and whether or not he thinks she could handle the treatment, but I would love to get some advice from those that have tried chemo. (Whether that is good chemo stories or bad chemo stories, I want to be prepared.) What made you choose to do it? What side effects did your doggie experience? Was it worth the cost? She is 6 years old, so if we go through with the chemo, we would like to know that we have a good chance of having her around awhile longer. But ultimately, is it in her best interest....or would putting her down be more humane? Our hearts are breaking right now with the thought of losing our beloved family member, but I want what is best for her.

Also, with chemo comes high costs. I have contacted the lab rescue to see if they had any ideas on helping us fund the high costs. They have given me the name of a "Labrador Lifeline" so we are looking into that. But does anyone have any other resources or maybe ideas on fundraising that could help us cover some of the costs if we choose to move forward? Thank you all for your input and help with this matter. Thanks so much!!
Reagan

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I personally went through cancer back in 1997-98 and I went through radiation. For me *PERSONALLY* I have chosen and made my wishes very clear, that I do not want Chemo. I have seen too many people have their life extended by a few months, but those few months are pure hell. Being sick etc. It isnt what I want for myself.

Again, this is me (Rick) speaking for myself, I am pretty sure I would make the same choice for my bullies.

Good luck, and I don't envy you with these decisions :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Reagan, since she is so young for her breed I would think her odds are better. What makes me nervous is how much weight she has lost, a lot likely due to dehydration. Did they give her some fluids?

Honestly I don't know what I would do in your position, I know how much you adore her. At least if you decide not to move forward with the chemo you can put her down with dignity and on hers and your terms. If she does not fair well on the chemo, it could be even more heartbreaking. But it could heal her... so as Rarett said I don't envy you for having to make that decision :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I am so sorry that you are going through this , I don't have any advice or information that could help you, as I have not had any experience with this. I just want to send my hugs and prayers to you and your family, in whatever decision you make. The only advice I can share with you, is do your research, ask your vet lots of questions as to what he recommends, and then make your decision based on what you feel most comfortable with and what's in the best interest of Chimi. That's what I tend to do. When my son was diagnosed 6 years ago with bipolar, he was in the hospital, and he was delusional, it was a very scary time for me, we didn't know what was wrong with him, and when he was diagnosed, the doctor gave me a long list of different medications that he could prescribe him. I asked lots of questions, I researched all the side effects to all the medications, and then turned the question back to the doctor , I asked him if this was your son, which medication would you use and why? I chose the most effective medication that would bring my son back to me, and the one that would have the least side effects. The medication was a newer, gentler drug, and it worked really quickly , my son has not had one episode since his diagnosis, and he is doing really well. Sometimes we don't really know what the right answer is , all we can do is ask questions, research, pray, and trust in the doctors to know what is best. I am sorry you have to make these decisions, and I hope you find something that will help Chimi, and allow him to live the rest of his life healthy and pain free. Please keep us posted on how he's doing. Take care Hun, and my thoughts and prayers are with you

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
First of all, I am so sorry for your whole family. I do know quite a few dogs and cats that have undergone chemo. Let me tell you how my vet told us...it's nothing compared to humans and their side effects. Most animals do very well on chemo. The researchers think its because they have no preconceived notions and that makes a huge difference. I'm certain there are exceptions but the majority handle it quite well. I also know that in the case of our Rottie who was diagnosed with bone cancer, chemo wasn't an option. It was a very aggressive form and resistant to chemo. Often, it won't mean a "cure" but a life extension. How long and the real prognosis will vary.

Having said all this, I can't begin to advise you what to do. We only had 3 short weeks with our Ana, after she was diagnosed. We had no options available but we made a promise to make sure she was never in pain. Six years old is young and weighing all your options is a difficult painful journey. I would just tell you, whatever you decide, love her in the moment. Keep her comfortable and what is the right road for you, will be different than the next family. Don't let vets push you in any direction you aren't comfortable with. Too often, we've gone a few steps too far and looked back with regret.

Financially, I do remember a short time ago, someone posted a thread on different organizations that helped people out with vet bills, and I will try to find it. If you have a teaching Vetrinary Hospital near and you decide to proceed, often they charge much less.

Good Luck and prayers..no matter what, you love her ànd she knows it.

Here is link
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22290

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Prayers of support and comfort for whatever your ultimate decision is.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sending prayers and postive thoughts to support you in your decision and Chimi through her illness.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
My corgi - LIlly - has lymphoma - she was diagnosed a month ago. I unfortunately cannot afford the chemo, so I am loving her til she passes. She is 4, has lost a lot of weight, but still barks, plays, fights with my bully - Punk - and loves. I talked a lot with my vet and since it would only extend her life a few months - if I was able to afford it - we both decided to let her be. I know this is hard and I cry every day seeing my sweet Lilly and knowing that she will soon be gone. Whatever you decide - know that there will be no one giving you a hard time about your decision - only you know what you can and cannot do.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My sweet little girl, Maggie, was diagnosed with Lymphoma in May of last year. We spoke to the vet about chemo and the way it was described to us is that if it worked very well then we may extend her life by about a year. If it didn't work well then it would be less than 12 months. To us it sounded as if we were just slowing down her death, because she would still have to go through everything ... it would just take a lot longer. So we took the option of steroids and she was put on prednisone. They said we would get to have her with us approximately six months. It broke our hearts.

We had heard of a very good vet who practiced not only traditional western medicine but also chinese medicine too. The way Dr Dean described the difference of these two practices is that western medicine treated the bad cancer cells by trying to kill them. However, the chinese consider the cancer cells to be our own body that is acting badly. These cells used to be good, but now they are full of cancer. That is how the chinese medicine worked ... it didn't kill the cells it tried to cure them or stop them from acting badly.

So we had tremendous hope because this vet had had success with pets who had cancer and who were alive and still living a normal life many years later after they had been diagnosed.

It was only a few weeks after Maggies diagnosis that we suddenly lost her, due to a complication of the lymphoma that I won't go into here. She left us on Thursday, May 31st 2012.

So although I can't help you with the questions you may or may not have with chemo ... maybe it might be worth looking at a vet that offers a more holistic approach.

mmsakis

Mar 13, 2012
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penney and Gia
So sorry to hear about your dog. From personal experience I would recommend chemo. We had an American bandogge mastiff who was diagnosed with lymphoma when he was 6 years old and he went into remission rather quickly. The chemo never bothered him, he was just a little tired after his first few sessions. The lymphoma came back after a few months and we just did the chemo again and it never came back again after that. He passed away of unrelated issues when he was 8 years old. He was the most amazing dog and we are very very grateful we got those couple extra years with him. We miss you every day Simba.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.