Other Queen Mother Hospital) Royal Veterinary College.UK

tonyplfc

Jan 10, 2013
LONDON
Bulldog(s) Names
NELLY (RIP) , SHANKLY
I would like to hear from anyone who has had dealings with (Queen Mother Hospital) Royal Veterinary College uk.

We took our lovely Nelly there back in October to enquire about having her nostrils widened the reason for this was the previous couple of weeks before on two separate occasions she had a couple of bad turns and we thought we was going to lose her it was that bad, the second attack was the worst she went blue and where she was fighting for breath I could actually see some sort of mucus build up in her throat, we just felt so helpless trying not to panic and stress our Nelly out even more so we just had to sit it out with her and hope, I just kept squirting lemon juice down her throat to try and break up the mucus, it was too much of a risk to get her in the van and take her to the vets After what seemed like a lifetime about an hour this stuff came up out of her, not a sound was made it just came out like expanding foam all in one go so much of it and it was quite firm. The breathing started to ease up and the colour came back to her beautiful tired little face, and she just lay there worn out next to this big pile of foam .Not for the first time the fight our Nelly put up was amazing, after this last episode i actually started to believe she was going to be with us for ever that she was indestructible.

First of all Iā€™m sorry if this all seems very long winded and that I have to keep writing this in so many parts but itā€™s still very hard to deal with so thanks for your patience.

So we got a referral to the RVC after a three hour examination there main concern to our surprise was of a suspected mass in Nellys tummy, this was the first we had been informed of this .so they admitted nelly straight away to investigate . The last thing we was expecting was to be walking away from there that day without Nelly.As I walked her out to the reception area to hand her over which I did not expect to be doing in the first place, for a minute I thought I just want to walk straight out to the car with nelly and go home. I could not even look at nelly as they took her away, we got in to the car then me and my girlfriend just burst in to tears all the way home. then got a phone call about 10:eek:clock that night, good news they found nothing nelly was ok and been very good and cooperative for them .well chuffed that we said we are going up first thing and bringing her back home then we can talk about having her nostrils widened later. Next morning getting ready to leave and some eager young lady from the RVC calls and says while nelly is here and comfortable why donā€™t we do the the nostrils today itā€™s a very routine procedure a couple of hours and then done and she will be back home tomorrow, No I said without being rude I just want to get her home and passed the phone to my girlfriend just before she hung up the vet asked again are you sure and for some reason we changed our mind ok do it. Six long and upsetting days later she was gone,
Complications they said one minute she was ok the next she could not breathe without a ventilator and also she had developed pneumonia she was in a incubation tent. They said they would try to wean her off the ventilator but there was only a 20% chance of success but Nelly done it again they got her out of the incubation tent and the ventilator on very low. We needed to see her to let her know we were still here, and it might lift her spirits, she was lightly sedated, all tubes coming out of her .we were talking with one of the vets but as soon as she heard our voices she looked up at us and when she see us she tried so hard to stand up but she was so weak after six days .we did not stay too long in case she got to excited .5am the next morning the phone rang Nelly had a relapse and had to go back on the ventilator. The vet said we had to make a decision; it was not fair to nelly to be on and off the machine. We were and still are absolutely devastated.

All through this traumatic six days I felt was handled very badly quite often I think they were very insensitive like the most important thing was the money ,and with regards to the money I do not understand how they justify the prices.

Ā£800 to set up the ventilating machine for Nelly
Ā£1000 per day for oxygen,

Total bill was approx. Ā£7000. Of which almost Ā£5000 has been paid by our insurance, and the remainder I am refusing to pay.
It would not be so hard to take if we still had Nelly.
I would never ever recommend this place down to my own personal experience.

R.I.P.
NELLY aka(BABY BEAR) xx

L

Lucy-licious

So very very sorry for your loss and bad experience with the vets. I'm up in the North West so it is very unlikely I will travel so far for a vet....I am also thus far, very lucky to have an excellent vet with experience if treating bulldogs and other flat nosed breeds. THANKYOU for sharing your experience with us.
May she RIP x

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I would like to hear from anyone who has had dealings with (Queen Mother Hospital) Royal Veterinary College uk. We took our lovely Nelly there back in October to enquire about having her nostrils widened the reason for this was the previous couple of weeks before on two separate occasions she had a couple of bad turns and we thought we was going to lose her...

Tony, my sincere condolences to you & your girlfriend for your loss of Nelly. Your post fills me with such sadness,
I can hear your love for her in every line...so sorry you are suffering so much, my friend. I understand how much
your heart is broken and how miserable your home is without her there.

I lost my Brutus just 1 month ago and I can only now speak of him or think of him without breaking down. He went
to the Vet for dental inspection (thought he had an abcess or broken tooth) and dental cleaning as he had terrible
placque (from before I got him), his bloodwork looked fine, he made it thru fine but afterward, he died.

My Vet DID NOT charge me for the operation and they should not charge you for your co pay since THEY pushed you
to do the operation that you did not want to do.

I will keep you & GF in my prayers, Tony. Much love....Carol

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Wow, I am so sorry for your loss.
How something so simple could of gone so wrong.. :nope:

But like Lucy-Licious said, thank you for sharing your experience. It may help many people who are looking for a vet.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i'm so sorry for your loss. i know you are angry and i know how worried you were before Nelly went in to the vets. my bully Lola had a scary breathing episode where she turned blue as well and it remains to be the worst day of my life. you want to do everything to help them and then something terrible happens out of your control. i'm really sorry to hear how it ended. :( makes me want to really check out the next vet that sees Lola

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a horrid experience for you and sweet Nelly.... my heart is hurting for you. All the hugs and prayers in the world for you.
I too think this vet should be removing some of those charges..... on the day we lost our sweet boy, Nitschke our vet did not charge us for almost all of the services that day.

Rest in Peace sweet girl.... be free and have fun with all our babies at the Bridge

:hug:

Most Reactions