Needing advice

carey

Aug 29, 2011
My English bulldog has a black spot on her side that is getting bigger, what do I need to
do for her.

kingofkings

Mar 23, 2012
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson The Bold
Did it start off as a hot spot and because of constant licking has turned black ( a little scaly) ? Well my Samson had this due to some allergies he started constantly licking himself, his pink skin turned black! But with some oatmeal, antifungal antibacterial shampoo it is going away! THANK GOD! Cause it really freaked me out! I Wash him every two days and have seen a significant difference in 1 week, also FYI. His diet might be to blame if he is darting at whatever falls under the dinner table then he maybe getting stuff he is not supposed to be eating ( or on his dog food) ive cracked down on what sam eats and doesnt and no more weird spots with no hair ( hair still in process of growing back but its on a positive turn around!!! ) try it!
good luck,!

kingofkings

Mar 23, 2012
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson The Bold
This is something im going through myself, and thanks to agingermom referring me to the oatmeal shampoo, im seeing sam get better, hopefully this helps you too :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not familiar with, or have any experience with this, but hopefully someone on here can give you some advice or help. Maybe you could post a picture of the area, and black spot, so someone can recognize what it is. Just wanting to say I hope you find out what it is, and can clear it up, hoping its nothing serious, and that she feels better soon. Sending hugs and prayers your way. Keep us posted.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap, need a pic so we can figure out what it is exactly.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I think what you may be talking about is a condition where the skin turns black on the flank and the hair falls out?out.
images
does it look something like this? Seasonal Flank Alopecia

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Seasonal Flank Alopecia is what it sounds like to me. It isnt life threatening.

OP
C

carey

Aug 29, 2011
What if anything can you do, it doesn't seem to bother her.

OP
C

carey

Aug 29, 2011
Im sorry it does look like the picture, Im new at this and will probably do things backwards.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My English bulldog has a black spot on her side that is getting bigger, what do I need to
do for her.
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] his Gizmo has this and may have advice for you

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I had a foster who had flank alopecia. My vet put him on a daily dose of melatonin.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rettinger/7385920798/

This is seasonal flank Alopecia in Gizmo - - - it is believed that its lack of sunlight in the winter that causes it - almost like S.A.D. in us humans.

There is no 'Cure' for it - some dogs have good responses to a number of things.. Melatonin is one that some have had success with. We use a suppliment called MISSING LINK - if you want to see the 'before - and after' of Gizmo on Missing Link. Check out my Flickr www.flickr.com/rettinger if you look at the dates, you'll see when we started in the late winter, early spring, and by mid summer it was looking ALOT better.... was it from the Suppliment 'Missing Link' ? or was it from the change in seasons? we arent entirely sure..but we keep up on the Missing Link anyhow :)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
can a bulldog have alopecia without the skin turning black?? uploadfromtaptalk1362021993515.jpguploadfromtaptalk1362022005924.jpg

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
can a bulldog have alopecia without the skin turning black?? View attachment 38072View attachment 38073

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I think that looks more like dermatitis of some sort... I could be wrong. Is that your baby? What have you been treating it with so far? [MENTION=3225]aprilemari[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online