Help Needed! cranberry juice to prevent crystals

babyjax

Aug 29, 2012
tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax
Hi, in January I took Jax for his 6 month checkup and the vet did a urine analysis and told me that he had found crystals in Jax's urine. He gave us antibiotics to clear it up. We went yesterday for his followup and did another test, it has cleared up but the vet kept insisting i change his food to hills to prevent another UTI. I told him No. The food that he is on is perfect. I am feeding him Fromm Beef Frittata. Jax used to have bad allergies and his whole life he had patches of missing hair on his back but since he switched to romm from Royal canine his patches are gone and he is in good health except for that uti thing. I keep reading about adding cranberry juice to his water about preventing UTI but I want to know how much. I went last night and I bought him some organic Cranberry juice and i gave him 1 teaspoon for 4 cups of water in his bowl. I dont want to over do it. Can someone tell me if that is the right amount and how often should i put it in his water bowl...every day or every few days?

Attachments

• IMAG0294 (2).jpg
    IMAG0294 (2).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 152

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hmm, not sure about this one but I would imagine since it is supposed to be beneficial for humans, the same principal would apply to canines. As for how much, perhaps consult your vet?

I don't blame you for not wanting to change his food - once you find a good one that works, NEVER CHANGE!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I haven't heard about adding cranberry juice to the water, but I have heard and do give my guys a cranberry pill in their food everyday, I break open the capsule and pour the powder on their kibble. I add apple cider vinegar to their drinking water.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Miss Princess Gracie gets one cranberry pill in her breakfast as a deterrent to UPI. This isnt a strong med or expensive supplement so it wouldnt hurt to add it to your babies diet. ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great for you to stand your ground on your food choice.... vets are always trying to push what they sell at their office.
I never heard of the juice in the water, but like BruceP said ..you can give the pill

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You really don't need to chance his food to Hill's, really don't. Instead buy an electronic pH meter and measure his urine pH first every week to get it stay at around 6-7. Then maybe once ot twice a month. You can give him cranberry pills and/or vitamin C and apple cider vinegar. Struvite stones form in alkaline urine and these will keep it more acidic.

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I'm not sure how the quantities measure out vs. a pill - but I keep a bag of fresh cranberries in the freezer. Bacon gets 1 or 2 a day and he loves them. He thinks he's getting a treat.

OP
babyjax

babyjax

Aug 29, 2012
tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax
thank you for all the advice. Honestly I dont' really trust the vets choices sometimes. I think I know my Baby a lot better then him. I am never changing his food to something nasty like hills or whatever they are subscribing. They said Royal Canine Bulldog formula was a Great choice for bulldogs....Yeah right... Thats why he had allergies his whole life because of that nasty food..As far as cranberry pills where do i find them? Is there a certain brand?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.