Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I have been reading about people's stories of their dogs surgeries and injuries, as well as I've had surgeries, injuries, and accidental ingestion issues with my 2 guys, in the past year. I was looking up pain in animals, and this is some information I found. I found it quite helpful, and thought it may help some people, and thought I'd share the information with you.

It s sometimes hard to know if our animals are in pain, as humans we can open up our mouths and tell someone we are in pain, or to complain, but animals often don't show it or don't make a sound, to let us know they are in pain.

SIGNS YOUR ANIMAL MAY BE IN PAIN:

* unusually quiet, listless, restless, or unresponsive
* whining, whimpering, howling, or constantly meowing
* biting, either itself, or those around it
* constantly licking a part of their body
* demonstrating uncharacteristic behaviour, either overly aggressive, or submissive
* flattening the ears against the head
* having trouble sleeping or eating
* appearing either excessively needy, or seeking more affection than usual
* panting ( added by she's history)

Studies have shown that by helping your pet avoid pain, you may be able to speed up the recovery process, whether from surgery or injury, and because it reduces stress and increases a sense of well- being, pain management may help your pet live longer.

HOW YOU CAN HELP:

If you think your pet is in pain, contact your veterinarian immediately. They will do a complete examination to assess the cause of the pain, and determine the treatment needed.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Thanks for the info.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Great info - I have one to add - I think panting can sometimes signal trouble, I notice when my bullies are in discomfort, they usually pant even while at rest.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Thank you for sharing this information. I found it really helpful. And I am sure a few Bullies out there in the future will suffer a lot less pain for a lot less time because of this information. Bless you.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Great post! I have noticed when Lola is in pain she acts needed and wants me to hold her non stop!

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Thank you, still having the limping of Otis's front leg here so good advice to keep an eye out for. Hard to determine as he is ALWAYS needy, whinney....lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
great info.... thanks for pulling together and posting it

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent info-- I always say not eating/drinking is my most obvious sign them an immediate temperature check too since we are talking about bulldogs- refusal to eat is not good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.