Other Linus' Marathon Trip to the Vet Part I: Ear Hematoma

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
We had quite the trip to the vet this morning.

I noticed the outside flap of Linus' ear had grown swollen, as if there was a pocket of fluid inside of his ear. It seemed to be painful for him and it looked inflamed so I made a vet appointment for this morning.

It turns out Linus had a ear hematoma - so a pocket in the flap of his ear filled with fluid, usually blood. I guess it's a common condition, brought on by rubbing and itching of the ears. In any case, the vet drained it, getting 5 mL of fluid from it and inject some steroid (Vetalog) in the pocket to help it heal up.

Linus seems much happier now but this is the first I've seen of this condition. Does anyone else have any experience with ear hematoma? We were told to keep the ear clear and no itching and it should clear up but it can sometimes be recurrent. If it keeps coming back, it could require surgery so I'm hoping for the best.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It's been years but I remember we had a St. Bernard when I was growing up who's ears would get like that. Hopefully Linus won't have to have surgery? What type of surgery on the ear would they do if so? Just curious.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Poor Linus, so glad you found out what it was - I dont know anything on the subject, but wanted to let you know I'm happy he is okay.

L

Lucy-licious

Aww..poor Linus Im so glad he's ok now and it was treated so quickly :hug:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
My Mom had a Spaniel Beagle mix that ended up having the surgery. She had to wear a cone so her ear would heal. Poor Linus, I hope his ear heals up so he doesn't need the surgery!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
We had quite the trip to the vet this morning.

I noticed the outside flap of Linus' ear had grown swollen, as if there was a pocket of fluid inside of his ear. It seemed to be painful for him and it looked inflamed so I made a vet appointment for this morning.

It turns out Linus had a ear hematoma - so a pocket in the flap of his ear filled with fluid, usually blood. I guess it's a common condition, brought on by rubbing and itching of the ears. In any case, the vet drained it, getting 5 mL of fluid from it and inject some steroid (Vetalog) in the pocket to help it heal up.

Linus seems much happier now but this is the first I've seen of this condition. Does anyone else have any experience with ear hematoma? We were told to keep the ear clear and no itching and it should clear up but it can sometimes be recurrent. If it keeps coming back, it could require surgery so I'm hoping for the best.

poor little guy :( Feel better Linus :hug2:

They can also get it from their ears blowing around if they stick their heads out the car window.

It's been years but I remember we had a St. Bernard when I was growing up who's ears would get like that. Hopefully Linus won't have to have surgery? What type of surgery on the ear would they do if so? Just curious.

The surgery usually involves draining the fluid and either stitching or stapling the ear to it keeps its shape.

Roxy had this a few years ago but wasn't a candidate for the surgery because of a heart murmur. I wasn't about to risk her life for what would basically be a cosmetic surgery. She now has what is called cauliflower ear. Rox is having a rough couple of days so I'm not going to try to make her sit for a picture, but it shrivels the ear so it looks like this chihuahua's

daisyferguson.jpg

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman

Yes, [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] has it right. Basically, if the pocket keeps refilling with fluid, it causes the skin of the ear to divide into two and, to avoid it happening again, the skin needs to be stitched or quilted back together. The vet doesn't think it will come to that since this is the first we've ever seen of this issue in 7 years and that Linus' hematoma was filled with blood, which I guess is preferable to pus or other fluid, which is more apt to come back.

It seems better already and I do appreciate everyone's concern.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sorry I don't have any experience with this , but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you and Linus had to go through this, but I'm glad Linus saw the vet, and had his ear treated, and it's on the mend, hopefully it won't reoccur and continue to heal. Hugs and prayers for you and Linus.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Never heard of this, keeping fingers crossed that this is a one and done time deal. Vetalog is what our Vet gives Vegas when his allergies are out of control. Works pretty good for him.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Yep that was it, califlower ear is exactly what I remember. I saw the picture of Roxy and that's the first thing I thought of then I read that's what you called it too. Our St. Bernard had it bad.
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
like [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], I had a St. Bernard, Kodiak, who had extremely bad allergies and would get ear infections quite frequently. He would get this same condition just from shaking his head trying to relieve the itching in his ears. My vet would drain it and then give him a steroid shot and he would be fine for about 3 months. I could always tell when it was time for another steroid shot because he would start shaking his head and the hair on his back end closest to his tail would start to get thin and brittle. Nothing we could do for his allergies (all environmental) except try to control and alleviate the symptoms. He never had to have the surgery and only had to have his ear drained that one time because I would catch it before it escalated to that point.

Hope Linus feels better

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Our first foster, Tinkerbell, got one of these. Vet said it was probably caused by her itching it or rubbing it against something. When they emptied it there was a mixture of blood and pus. It half filled again and had to be drained a second time. After that it healed up perfectly fine!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh wow I never heard of this, so glad Linus is feeling better :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Oh wow I never heard of this, so glad Linus is feeling better :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Thank you - I had never heard of it either but, from what I understand, it's very common.

I think it must have been very painful for Linus because he was in bad shape this morning - panting and miserable - and now he seems to have calmed down a lot.

I will keep a close eye on things and hope it doesn't need to be drained again - and thanks again to everyone for the great advice and experiences!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.