Allergies? Reflux? Just an upset tummy?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
i feed lex 61 lbs once a day 2 cups and he doesnt eat all of it, and a 2 yr old 100 lb lab we feed once a day at 2 scoops, so ya he might just be over eating and playing right after can do it too...

[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] that reminds me of the movie marley and me.... isnt that the same thing marley had diagnosed???

[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION] I had to look that up because I didn't remember that! Good memory! Been a while since I have seen it. From what wikipedia's summary says he gets it once, recovers then gets it again and the second time he needs to be put down. If a pup gets it once he is much more likely to get it again than a dog that has never had it. So sad, I balled my eyes out during that movie!

dontshop--adopt

Jul 30, 2010
Greenville, MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
I am just now seeing this post...I had the exact same problem with my buly who is now 2. He had a really bad breath, and for a year-old dog, it did not seem like it could be from his teeth/mouth, it was from deep inside. He also sounded like he had a lot of congestion in his chest. We had to feed him tiny bits at a time, and sometimes they came up, too. When he threw up, there was often a lot of phlegm mixed in with the food. This went on for months, and he was getting thin. Finally out of desperation, I called the breeder we got him from, and she suggested that he needed elongated soft palate surgery. When I asked my vet about it, he said, "Normally I disagree with whatever a breeder says, but in this case, I think she is right." He had surgery and that was the end of the problem. But he STILL sometimes has a very bad breath, and we have to give him a round of antibiotics. They say he has a very small airway, and this creates the problems. I don't know if this will help, but it is something to look into, especially if he has bad breath and a lot of congestion/phlegm.

OP
BullyB

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
Just wanted to give an update. We started feeding Bruno 1/2 cup 3 times a day last Wednesday...and we have had NO vomiting episodes since. This has been the longest he has gone without vomiting since he was born! We are ecstatic! Thank you all so much for your help!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That is such good news!!!! Thank you for letting us know! It is so awesome knowing that your bully is better now! Great work EBN team!

p.s. Bruno pics please? :whistle:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=1244]BullyB[/MENTION]
I was going to say...he's probably throwing up because he has a full tummy and he's still eating more. (learned that one from Vegas) Also, elongated pallets can cause vomiting after eating (learned that one from Chesty) But, you got awesome advice..so you don't need mine.
I do have a question.
You said he was throwing up digested food. What does digested food look like compared to undigested food? How does a dog throw up digested food? I was under the assumption that once it left the stomach it was digested.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
That is good news!!! So glad to hear that you have hopefully found your problem! :) I agree with desertsky we need some pics! :D

OP
BullyB

BullyB

Sep 23, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Bunker
Thanks all! I will post pics here soon!

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] - I say digested food because normally, when Bruno threw up before, it was shortly after he ate and it still looked like his food. But then he started throwing up a while after eating. It was really thick looking liquid...the color of his food. So when talking to the vet, he said it sounds like he's throwing up food that has been pretty digested already. Does that make sense?:confused:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online