Help Needed! Food Allergies again!

ptran713

Sep 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
capo
Hello bulldog world!
I recently switched Capo from Fromm beef frittatta to Acana pacifica because he started to have an ear infection with the Fromm. Two days after the transition he breaks out all over is body. I think he is might me allergic to fish. I am just so frustrated because I have not found a dog food that he agrees with. Ive tried blue buffalo, california natural, wellness, I just don't know what brand to switch to anymore. I was thinking about raw but that would be to expensive and time consuming. Two luxury that is hard to come by these days. Does anyone recommend a brand that works with most bulldogs with no side affects? Seems like Capo is allergic to everything. Help please!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Raw is actually very easy and not time consuming once you get the hang of it. I would consider switching to raw just to identify any protein allergies he may have. Also it's the only real way to know exactly what's going in him. Also alot of times people have said that although the dog is allergic to a protein in kibble, when fed the actual raw protein they had little to no allergy. My current cost on raw is about $1 per lb. the key is to find co-ops in your area. A simple goodie search found yahoo raw feeding group for my area which opened me up to 3 very inexpensive meat processors. You have to buy in. Bulk usually 50lb boxes so a deep freezer is a must. Let me know if you have any questions about raw I'll do my best to help, my girl has been on it since she was 4 months, she 10.5 months now and doing amazing. Once we went raw we never looked back! I'm not up to speed on kibble [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is. Very knowledgeable about kibble, and [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] is a raw feeder also.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
All that worrying and switching foods sounds more horrible to me than an extra $ or a bit more time spent....It is worth the trouble. And like Scueva said it doesn't have to more expensive.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I switched foods 4 times for Blossom before we found Fromms Beef Frittata, Blossom has allergies or sensitivity to chicken, salmon, corn, and grains. She is doing amazing on this food. Are you sure that the Fromms caused the ear infection? And is that the only reaction Capo got from Fromms? If he didn't get any redness, rashes, or hives, maybe the ear infection was caused from water in the ear? Or something else, and is just coincidental that it was at the same time as the Fromms. How long was he on the Fromms before he got the ear infection? I know it's frustrating trying to figure out what proteins they are allergic to, and which foods to try, because I went through the same thing with Blossom, and each time you make a switch, you have that transition period, and go through the soft, mushy stools, and the bad reactions, then the Benadryl, and then the time spent waiting to see if the new food works, just to have to start all over again with something else. I hope you find something that Capo can tolerate, good luck, and keep us posted on how he's doing.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm with you on the raw ......... I would do it as a last resort only! And that's just a personal choice because I know that raw is wonderful! Like I said ... if I had to I would but only if I HAD to!!

So let's tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] and see what could be in the Fromm Beef Frittata which could be causing the allergic reaction. From the sound of it, that has been your best option so far.

The other thing is to consider having a blood test done so that you are no longer "fighting in the dark" and at least will know what he is allergic to!!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We are also in the process of switching foods due to allergies. Tank was doing well on Fromms Beef Frittata but not great. He always had watery eyes and his nose rope started getting really red & yeasty and while he was taking 2 benedryls twice a day. So I began looking for other options. First I started making his treats. He loves them and I control the ingredients. Then I was given info through EBN about Nature's Variety Instinct food. Their foods are 4 star like Fromms but Tapioco based instead of potato. The bag even mentions that it is ideal for dogs with allergies. We are halfway through switching and his face is MUCH better, his eyes aren't running, and hasn't needed any Benedryl. Then 3 days ago I bought him a new nylabone that has a place to put one of their treat sticks. He loved it but next day his face was all red, his chin was breaking out and nose rope was yucky again! So I've learned that food is a factor (the treat stick was made from chicken and lots of other stuff like wheat starch) and that I must monitor everything and start eliminating the causes. I wanted to share my experience, hoping it will help you and your Bully, too.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok the first thing i have found with bullies is to find a protein they do well with and then expand out. you mentions the brands but dont mention what protein they were. if you could give me a better breakdown of what he has eaten i could help more. there is no one food that will work for all bullies as each has his own set of allergies. have you considered and allergy test to help narrow down the cause. you could also go with a limited ingredient food such as nvi lid lamb or turkey. acana has a lamb and apple and duck and pear. eartborn has a meadow feast. nutrisca has chicken and lamb one. just to name a few. cut out all treats and people food to. i have also found sarah reacts to her probiotic and joint meds if i dont have the right one so bullies are very sensitive.

OP
P

ptran713

Sep 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
capo
Thanks Corlando. I think I am going to give natures variety all instinct a try. If that does not work than I am going to switch to raw. I never knew owning an english bulldog was gonna be this much work. But you know what, it's all worth it! Thanks everybody for the quick response. This website is awesome!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Hello bulldog world!
I recently switched Capo from Fromm beef frittatta to Acana pacifica because he started to have an ear infection with the Fromm. Two days after the transition he breaks out all over is body. I think he is might me allergic to fish. I am just so frustrated because I have not found a dog food that he agrees with. Ive tried blue buffalo, california natural, wellness, I just don't know what brand to switch to anymore. I was thinking about raw but that would be to expensive and time consuming. Two luxury that is hard to come by these days. Does anyone recommend a brand that works with most bulldogs with no side affects? Seems like Capo is allergic to everything. Help please!

Have you tried Nature's Variety Instinct Lamb Limited Diet? I use this on Remi who is is "allergic" (we don't know if he is officially but it either makes him itchy, smelly, or have really bad poops) to beef, chicken, and most recently salmon.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you can ask your vet to run a full blood screen allergy... this will give you high/low sensitivites and a good idea of waht to avoid

goblue

Oct 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
lola
We where in the same boat as you with all the allergies and itching. After trying three other types we tried Nature's Variety Instinct food (salmon) and all is well. Knock on wood now.

Members online

No members online now.