Help Needed! Hyperventilating or sneezing

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Hi bully friends, maybe you can clear up something for me. Uni has been doing this hyperventilating thing, or maybe it's sneezing, this I am not sure the correct term for it is. It's where it seems to me like she's is not getting enough air and is breathing fast through her nose. She does this for a few seconds and her whole body stiffens and she really seems not ok. Then she maybe ok for a few seconds and it may happen again for a while. It has been happening right when she wakes up out of her crates in the morning for a few days in a row now and also a few times when she is out playing i the yard. Could this be fro allergies or is a sing that her pallet is elongated? Is there any thing I can do for her when it's happening?

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I would go find a good bulldog vet. We are having similar problems and are having our girl checked out next week. It's kind of frightening, isn't it?

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Here is Wikipedia:
http://store.rawpaws.org/default.asp

Its hard to describe. Check YouTube I'm sure you can find a dog reverse sneezing.
If it is a reverse sneeze they sound horrible but aren't really that bad. You can place your fingers over his nostrils causing him to swallow which will usually stop the reverse sneeze.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
[MENTION=3104]mendomama[/MENTION] so was it in fact a "reverse sneeze" that you were experiencing?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Sounds like a reverse sneeze. If that is what it was then no need for a Vet. It us similar to a reg sneeze, annoying but not harmful. Allergies do cause them I believe cuz it comes on seasonally in this house.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My sweet Mable used to do that. Scared the crap out of me. I didn't have EBN back then so I didn't know what the hell it was. I used to pet her head and say, "It's OK" over and over. I don't think it helped Mable - but it made me feel better. LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First time you experience a reverse sneeze is scary as all heck, then you just get used to them

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.