RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would do elimination diet with plain raw. Give her just on type of protein for awhile. Preferably something she hasn't had before. Wait to see if the symptoms clear. Only then add another type of protein in to her diet. One type of food at the time so you see if she reacts and know to what. This also means that she is not supposed to anything else...nothing to chew, no treats, not even new toys.
Bc she's on antibiotics pro-and prebiotics could help too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sandy/Lari have you on the right track -- chicken is a big issue for a lot of bullies, try a different protein and you should see some results in about two weeks, but it can take months to totally clear up issues from food allergies. There is a fiull blood screen allergy test that can be done to identify the issue and know what to avoid... if you choose to go with the test is usually runs about $300 and you have to make sure she has no steroids in her system for a full 30 days BEFORE the blood is drawn for testing.

Entropian - there are many members that had this procedure done on their bullies -- prices vary, but there are a couple members that area able to pluck the lashes that cause the issue I have tagged them for you *at least the two I think that do it* :D

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Orion has a single lash that inverts and scratches her eye. For the price of the exam fee and 12 dollar dye test, he simply plucks the lash and she is good for another 5 to 6 months. When she starts to squint....I know it's time to take her in again. We do it fairly quick as to avoid a possible ulcer.

It really depends on how severe the problem is. Good luck.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Have you considered and anti-histimine? Here in Florida we have alot of air borne pollen and resulting allergic reactions. Ideally we want to find the cause of an allergic reaction and eliminate it but where I live during certain times of the year to do that you would have to elliminate the air you breathe. My daughter took her Maltese to our vet, she had been using another vet, as a side she mentioned to the vet or the vet noticed how much hair had been gnawed off the dog's paws. The previous vet said it was simply a nervous dog but this vet told her it was allergies and prescribed an anti-histimine. This dog has been gnawing its feet for years and since taking the medication earlier this week has completely stopped the gnawing and also manifesting other signs of increased health and vigor. Just to think of all the years the poor little fellow suffered unnecessarily

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would stay away from chicken and go with beef or bison. I use Earthborn holistic now, the grain free bison and I can get a bag 28lbs for $45 so its the cheapest grain free I have found and it is holistic it really is a great food. Several of us on this site use it and we all have had great results. Sometimes money is a issue we are living off one income ourselves so I understand that. Also if she is allergic to chicken I would go straight for beef or bison and not try the turkey either, for Lola I have found she is allergic to both so I just stay away from any kind of bird. I have never tried the lamb either. I hope this helps!

OP
Wayne Sorensen

Wayne Sorensen

Jan 18, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Great advise everyone thanks a bunch. As for the food recommendation Sweetpea I think I'll look into the bison, it's actually cheaper than what we're currently buying and holistic I heard is a must. @Rural, we have had her on Benedryl and all that did was knock her out. The vet said it doesn't work on dogs too (whatever!) I believe it offers some relief.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Great advise everyone thanks a bunch. As for the food recommendation Sweetpea I think I'll look into the bison, it's actually cheaper than what we're currently buying and holistic I heard is a must. @Rural, we have had her on Benedryl and all that did was knock her out. The vet said it doesn't work on dogs too (whatever!) I believe it offers some relief.

A new vet is in order...

Okay, I know Benadryl and Zyrtec both work. I used them on Bullie when she was having terrible allergies to the weeds/grass in my yard (I gutted my yard out because of this dog...). So, in case you need to check your dosage - this is what I followed... Bullie is 60lbs so this dosage is for 50-70lb dogs:

Benadryl in 25mg capsules - 2 capsules every 12 hours.
Zyrtec in 10mg tablets - 1 tablet every 12 hours.

If your bulldog is under 50 lbs, you can use a once a day dosage.

Make sure the Benadryl is not a multi-symptom formula and make sure Zyrtec is not Zyrtec-D but just plain Zyrtec.

Okay, that said... Benadryl and Zyrtec are for allergies... that is, over-production of histamines. A yeast infection is the opposite of allergies - your dog is not producing histamines to fight the yeast. They give you almost the same symptoms but they are different. Yeast infection usually comes with a yeasty odor. Okay, an allergic dog that licks and gets teary could possibly produce yeast in the moist areas - this is external yeast and not internal yeast. So, your dog is over-producing histamines which causes the dog to itch and get teary so the dog licks and licks producing moist areas in his hair which is a nice beachfront condo for yeast. Make sense?

So, what I'm trying to say - observe your dog and see if this is truly an allergy problem or a yeast problem. Because zyrtec and benadryl will not solve a yeast problem - it could possibly make it worse. Also, the food adjustments you need to do is different between allergy and yeast infections. Yeast requires the least possible carbs/sugar in your dog's diet. Allergies is minimizing environmental triggers or changing up the protein sources.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

CHENDERSON

Jan 13, 2013
China Grove, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoe Grace aka Big Sexy
[MENTION=2580]wayne[/MENTION], We live about 30 miles north of Charlotte in China Grove so we are not too far from you guys. Zoe has not has entropian surgery, but she does take a daily dose of antihistamines for her allergies. So far she is doing really well on the Blue Buffalo, lamb and brown rice and we havent had any issues with it. I hope you can figure out the right combination for her to giver her some relief from the itchies.

OP
Wayne Sorensen

Wayne Sorensen

Jan 18, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
@Annatess - Yeah I will definitely keep her on either Benadryl or Zyrtek tablet daily once she's off her Yeast infection meds and anti inflammatory. Maybe a non drowsy formula of Benadryl. The Cephaloxin (SP?)500 mg and Prednisone 5mg have been amazing! She's looking sooooooo much better.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.