General Question Depressing Day today

Wayne Sorensen

Jan 18, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella went to the Vet today for her yeast issues and swollen oozing paws (3). This is the 3rd vet she has seen in less than 2 months. This one wasn't very encouraging. She said that Bella was a typical case of a lifetime allergy sufferer and that she will need lifetime treatment that will be very expensive. Obviously I began to panic. My wife is currently out of work and we're living on one income. I'm really starting to feel I made a mistake adopting her from my local shelter. She is such a sweetheart and I don't want to have to give her up but I know if the vet is right Bella's doomed. I could really use some advise on how to get her beyond these allergies. The vet all she wanted to do was sell me their food, load me up with prescriptions and follow up visits every 2 weeks. Very expensive!

We have Bella on Nature's Variety Instinct Raw, ACV and sugar free plain yogurt. Because her paws have gotten so bad over the last week or so i'm beginning to wonder if she's allergic to what I'm feeding her.

CHENDERSON

Jan 13, 2013
China Grove, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoe Grace aka Big Sexy
I hate to hear that her allergies are so bad. I am a new EB owner so I am new to this kind of thing too. I know there are lots of people on her that will be lots of help to you. Good luck and kisses to Bella.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I wish I could be of some help, but it sounds like a good diet to me. perhaps an allergy test is in order for Bella

OP
Wayne Sorensen

Wayne Sorensen

Jan 18, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Christie, I'm in the Raleigh area. Has your pup had entropion surgery (eye lid)? I'm trying to get an idea what it will cost as Bella needs that too :O( Yes I love this site people are so well informed on EB's here.

Wayne

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Yes, you should get an allergy test done so you know what to try to avoid. That should help her reactions.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok which nvi raw are you feeding. the trick with bullies is to find a protein they tolerate then work from there. so perhaps the protein you are feeding is not a good protein for your bully. are you soaking the paws. lots of people here use acv with water as a rinse for their dog and i guess you could soak their paws in it. i use duoxo ps shampoo to soak sarahs paws in it and duoxo pads for in between times. i would perhaps stop the yogurt as some dogs are allergic to milk. what other kinds of yeast issues are you dealing with. [MENTION=7874]Wayne Sorensen[/MENTION]

OP
Wayne Sorensen

Wayne Sorensen

Jan 18, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Sandra, we're feeding her Instinct Raw Chicken. As for the soaking we have done that but not on a daily basis and actually it's been several weeks since the last soaking. I've heard of the rinse after bathing but I don't know if I could deal with the vinegar smell all the time. We do use the medicated shampoo starts with "k" and Malacetic wipes for her folds. I'd like to use them on her paws but i'm afraid i'll make em worse. I'm wondering if you're right on the yogurt thing.

Thanks

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Chicken is a protien that a lot of bullies are allergic to. We have found HRH to be allergic to salmon too. She's done best on Fromm Beef Frittata, but some other bullies haven't done well on that at all. so it can sometimes be hard to find what works best for your bully.

OP
Wayne Sorensen

Wayne Sorensen

Jan 18, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Lari, Yeah that's what's so frustrating. I think i'm gonna try something different when I'm done with this 15lbs I have left. Any idea how long I should give the food before I should see a difference in her coat, eyes, etc?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
That's a good food but she may be allergic to the chicken. If she's been on constant
rounds of antibiotics, she's going to have yeast problems. Most vets have NO training
in nutrition and I WOULD NOT take these vets opinion of lifelong, severe problems.
Finding out her allergy triggers then avoiding them will solve these things, this may take
time and patience but then-happiness all around! IMHO, you need a holistic vet on board,
staying on antibiotics & steriods IS NOT the answer, I know, I've been on them early into
my diseases (autoimmune) and now, refuse both and am doing well. I had constant yeast
infections for years and have had none in years since educating myself. Most Doctors are
clueless and have no nutrition education either.

It's amazing how improper diet causes illnesses and how proper diet cures AND KEEPS one
functioning and well. My prayers are with you...Carol

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Lari, Yeah that's what's so frustrating. I think i'm gonna try something different when I'm done with this 15lbs I have left. Any idea how long I should give the food before I should see a difference in her coat, eyes, etc?
if she is having this kinda trouble now i dont think you can go through a 15 pound bag of this stuff it will only get worse. stop the yogurt and it starts up again after the meds are finished then you cannot finish this food out as this will just continue. i can help you with the food stuff if you wish. also i have used malaket and duoxo on her cysts and red paws and imo duoxo works better but i would def be using the malaket wipes on the feet and be soaking them in some med shampoo like every other day or every few days.

OP
Wayne Sorensen

Wayne Sorensen

Jan 18, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Lari, Yes, any help or recommendations with the food would be great. I will take your advise on the medicated shampoo soaking too.

Thanks,
Wayne

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online